How do you store your math manipulatives?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jun 8, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

I am trying to determine how to store my materials for next year. Right now it is a complete disaster. Things mixed together and not labeled or anything.

What types of containers do you use?

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Last year Staples had a sale on large containers that look a lot like tupperware but they were MUCH MUCH bigger. I put my manipulatives into plastic quart or gallon bags, then place them inside the large, plastic bins with a top.

One thing that annoys me -- the items will take on a stale air smell if you don't open the tops often.

EDIT: i would check staples again as the bins were only $5 or Walmart/Target in the storage section. Though the stale air smell is annoying, the kids don't seem to notice and the plastic containers prevent bugs, dust and other things from sneaking inside.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Well I want to be able to store the manipulatives so students can get access to them. I have shelves and I want to place them there. I like your idea to store the items away like that but I wan them in use.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 8, 2011

I get the plastic shoeboxes from the Container Store (they offer teacher discounts:)). They have them in several different sizes and they hold up really well. The ones I have now I've had for years.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Do you have a link? I have been looking at some on the container store but can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

How much is the discount? I had no idea!!!!!!

P.S. I've never been in the container store. I am looking online for fear that I would want to buy the store if I stepped foot in there.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2011

I had them in big plastic tubs, but hated that.

A few weeks before school got out, I bought about 30 plastic shoeboxes. One type of thing went in each box - a box for dice, one for clocks, one for counters, one for coins.

I LOVE it. No more digging through a giant tub looking for the thing I need!

AND - I can just hand a shoebox out at center time, and the kids can work out of that. Before, I would pull something out of the tub, then try to find something to put it in to pass out to the groups...

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

Danny's Nanny this is exactly what I want to be able to do!!!

9. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jun 8, 2011

I currently have everything in different tubs with lids tucked away in a closet. During the school year I pull what the students need to work with and put them in tubs on a bookshelf.

10. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 8, 2011

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 8, 2011

I put mine in clear plastic shoeboxes from Wal-Mart. I had an empty cubbie and they fit in there perfectly.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 8, 2011

One trick that I did learn in a workshop was to buy the small square ziplock containers and store my base 10 blocks in them. I split my units rods and a couple of flats between them. Now when they need them, they just go grab a tub. I made enough so that kids can work in groups or with a partner. I need to buy one more set to have enough for individuals.

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2011

Right now mine are stored in baggies in my closet. During the school year, mine are stored in bins on a wire shelf. My kids need access to all sorts of manipulatives every day, so I keep mine out in the open. I used those wire shelves you connect together (from Sams or Target or something).
    [​IMG]

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

I found a ton of Ziplock containers on clearance at the end of summer last year at Target for super cheap. Then I slapped a label on each. Now I have most of my items broken down into small group sets. That way, I don't start twitching when something is dropped and it is much more manageable. Dollar Tree has the small containers too (and they stack better than the ones I bought). It is also easy for the kids to see what they need immediately when they look in the cabinet.

15. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 9, 2011

Great question! I am still wrestling with making a decision. I have thought about making each kid a kit. For example, a bag or box would have some base ten blocks, pretend money, a dice, game marker, flashcards, a small judy clock, some unifix cubes, etc. Then each student could get their box or bag out and I wouldn't have to deal with handing out supplies....... Any opinions out there about this?

16. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 9, 2011

For things like two color counters I already have them counted out into baggies with a red and yellow counter for each student. Everything else I have the students get as needed because I want them to have a lot of practice counting out what they need. (kindergarten)

If you teach a higher grade having their own kits would be handy. You could change things up througout the year depending on what they need for math. I think that it would help with also keeping the students responsible for their own materials.

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 9, 2011

I do not like the idea of kids having their own kits. I like being able to decide what they are going to use and when. I could just see things getting lost or students playing with things they do not need. etc...