How do you store showerboard white boards?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I had my showerboards cut 12x12". Today I found a plastic bin at Target that's the prefect size to hold all of them. The container is clear, with a snap-on lid, and measures 14.5x9x12.5''.

Problem is, I'm worried they'll scratch and become useless for next year. I wanted to buy ziploc bags to store each one (with a marker and square of felt inside, too) but the bags are so much money! Gallon bags are too small, and 3 gallon bags are about $5.50 for 5 bags. What do you do?

BTW, am I supposed to wax them?

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

We store ours one on top of the other in a big pile. We put ours on a shelf. I think the bags would be a problem. We put the pens in a plastic frosting cup and the socks that we use to wipe them with in a smaller basket.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I have to say that I haven't done anything with mine. I let the students keep them in their desks and they seem to be fine. I've never waxed mine before and haven't had any problems.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I wonder if I have "real" showerboard in the first place, actually. Mine seem like coated particle board. I expected them to be solid plastic, but the Lowes guy assured me it's what all the teachers ask for :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2008

I have 'real' white boards- they're about 5 years old and I'm replacing them this year. I keep them in a basket, erasers in a separate basket, the kids bring wipe off markers. The storage isn't what wrecks them- it's the indoor recess play, wear and tear- some of mine are a bit scratched up- getting a new class set- I'll discard the ones that are worse for wear.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Larger-than-gallon bags are on sale at Safeway this week, 2/$6 or something, and there are 12 bags in a box. That's ziplock brand. I don't know if you have Safeway, though....

8. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

I wouldn't bother witht he bags. Kids will break them. I would just stack the boards or let them keep them at their desks. They will become scratched but they will no matter what you do with them. I had shower board ones for 6 years that I used while teaching Spanish in Grad school and then in the middle school where I worked. I would still have them but I took 2 years off of teaching and left them in the classroom.

9. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I have a plastic cart from either walmart or Target. It's on wheels and it has two handles. Its great for me to wheel them around if needed.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I stach mine on a shelf. They seem to holding up well. I also got what looks like coated particle board, it's called mark r board (or something like that.). On the display it had a picture of the board mounted on a wall with a kid drawing on it. I assume it was made to be written on.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I just stacked mine on a shelf too, I didn't do anything special. Mine look like coated particle board too, so it's the same stuff. I don't think mine are that scratched up, nothing so bad that I've noticed anyway. Mainly I noticed how heavy a stack of 28 of them are when I was cleaning out my classroom in June :eek:!

On a side note, assuming you tape up the edges, I recommend a dark colored duct tape. I used white and now many of the boards have doodles on the boarders. So if you want to keep them a bit cleaner looking, definitely go for a dark tape where any stray marks won't really show up. I plan to re-tape mine this summer.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

I use a white crate. It stores the whiteboards, markers, and erasers (washclothes).

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

I put them in a washbin from Target/Wal Mart. I have just a hosh posh from other teachers. Half are from Lakeshore, half are from showerboard, etc. The washbin is just fine. I bought a tall sterlite cart, and I might put them in there if I can't find more stuff to fill up the cart.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

No Safeway here, but thanks!

So much for my storage bin. The sticker says it's 14.5 x9 x 12.5, but its not even close...more like 12 x 9 x 10. Oh well. I like the dish bin idea, I might try that.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

16. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I saw those at Walmart, and I was planning on using them for teacher's editions and file folders (like my daily folders, where I keep copies of everything I need for the day) within easy reach. They're cheaper than the actual file folder stands at Staples!

18. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I store mine in a bin - front to front, back to back, on down the line. That way the white sides are facing each other and the scratchy back sides are facing each other.