How do you store CDs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherGrl7, Jul 26, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I have a bunch of CDs for teaching. Some are in their original cases, which I don't want to give up. Others I have burned and they are just in one of those travel CD holder cases. I feel like I could be so much more organized with them. What do you do?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 26, 2009

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

5. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Okay-my system is super tricky and way expensive but here it is:

pushpins and a bulletin board:D. No kidding, I fought the storage of cd's all last year (some kids have access to, others they couldn't care less about) and my computer is not in a storage friendly space. But, I do have a 2ft x 9 ft bb right there (runs vertical) so I pushed in some pushpins in a grid formation and popped on the cd's.

It worked great-I could see at a glance which cd's I was missing (I wrote the titles on the bb paper behind where they should go) and the kids were really good about taking them off/putting on.

My computer area got moved this year to work with my Smart board but I still plan on using this system.

6. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

Wal-Mart?

Wal-Mart sells the paper sleeves in a box of 50 (?) for $3 I believe. You can also buy the plastic cases. I store my CDs in a small basket.

I have tried the small CD zippered cases, but I don't like those as much. This year I am going back to trying the basket with CDs for my computer games.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

I just wanted to add - I am using this for the cd's I use to teach with like my powerpoints, music cd's, teacher resources cd's, exampro cd's . . not for cd's that students would have access to.

8. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

I do the same thing. I think I got 100 for $4. I then have a little basket with a handle that they sit in.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I keep my CDs in those adorable little plastic boxes from Dollar Tree. All nice and neat and intact! :)

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

11. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I have really bad luck with CD's! I scratch them, crack them, leave them in books because I'm too rushed to find the case, or put them in the wrong case and lose them. I've tried to make myself a better, more organized person, but that just hasn't happened, so I copy them to a USB drive.

I use Holt Language Arts and Glencoe Science, and this system works for both programs.

Now, this only works because I don't usually use the actual software interface that comes with the disc. I'm just too impatient for it :) There may be a way to copy the .exe files so that you could use the software, but my work computer is so locked down with admin passwords that I can hardly do anything.

Instead of using the software, I dig through and find the resource folders, and just go straight to the files, which are usually PDF's, Word documents, or audio files (WAV or mp3). If you're really good, you can make desktop shortcuts that will go straight to the files you use most often. Send me a message if you want me to help you set this up! It's not as complicated as it sounds :)

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Do they have the hanging files?? From the Dollar Tree?? I bought this because I wasnt' able to find the hanging files anywhere else. The files are similar to the green hanging files you would use in a filing cabinet.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

Green hanging files...I have a box of green hanging files that I purchased at Office Depot, they are called 100% Recycled Hanging Files...is that what you're talking about, INTeacher?

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

No - if you look at the link again, in the box are cd size hanging file that resemble the green hanging files. So, it would be like a cd envelope with the metal tabs along the edges so the envelope will hang like a file.

Look at the link and read the desciption

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=225&PRODID=10022645

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

oh no; the ones I got at Dollar Tree are plain and just the right size to hold the CDs.
    Hey, the one you purchased here is pretty cool!