How do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lindzee82, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I have sent out 13 applications for teaching positions and have had 2 interviews. I have already heard back from one that I did not get the position. The interview I had on Monday went really well (or so I thought) and they were supposed to make there decision by the end of the week and only call the ones that will be hired. I still have not heard anything and none of my references have been called. That can't be a good sign so I have given up all hope on that job.

My question is, how do I keep myself motivated? These two interviews were for the district I was subbing in, which would have been my best shot at landing a job. I have no interest in applying for other jobs because I just feel like it is pointless and that I will never get a job.

I guess I just need words of encouragement and examples of how you picked yourself up after rejection and kept on going.

Thanks. :(

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I've found that you have to broaden your view a little bit of what kind of jobs you'd want. Who knows - you might be surprised and get something you don't expect to enjoy, but do! If you truly want to TEACH, you might consider applying to less desirable schools or for positions that you might not normally apply to. I'm so excited to teach elementary, and haven't found a position yet. I'm going to a job fair tomorrow, and I'm going to keep a very open mind and see what's available. Who knows? I might find my dream school and position and not know it! :)

Keep your chin up!

4. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 28, 2007

snickydog - Thank you. I have been applying to all openings within a reasonable driving distance. I guess I will start applying for ed tech jobs, as well. Good luck with the job fair. I hope you find something great!

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

Is an ed tech in your area the same thing as a teaching assistant or teaching associate? I know in my district, they tend not to hire assistants as full-time teachers after a year, because if you're a good assistant, they want to keep you! However, the assistants have a MUCH easier time finding a position in other districts. Just a note about that - maybe choose an assistant position NOT in your dream district. It's still early - almost two more months till school starts, there is still time! :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

In the words of the LOTTO commercial: "You can't win it if you're not in it."

Apply EVERYWHERE. Then, if you have multiple offers, you can start being choosy.

7. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Just keep at it.... I am applyng absolutely everywhere.

I'm hoding off on AZ right now b/c of all the offers and knowing I will get something there...I'm going back to applying apoplying primarily in CA...givimng them more time.

I'm even considering grade 5, a grade that is not my pref. I prefer the lower grades, but I know I have to keep an open mind.

SOmething is out there for you....just apply everywhere that you can.

Have you sent stuff directly to principals? That's what I'm doing for two districts...These two go off eligibility lists and with the amount of people on those lists, I find it better to send them my stuff too... I'm emailing them because this district is too far and big (32 schools, 2 hour drive)

8. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

I also thought my best opportunities were at the districts that I subbed in or where I was a TA. The two schools where I got hired for full time teaching positions were schools that I had never subbed, student taught at or worked at in any way. Kind of strange, but like others have said, if you're a great assistant or sub, they won't want to get rid of you!

9. tiramisu

tiramisu Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I understand what you are going through Lindzee82. I graduated two yrs ago and relocated to Texas after graduation because of Katrina. I had to start over with the certification process and I'm still searching for a position. I've applied to 7 districts, attended 6 job fairs, and sent out over 40 emails to principals. During the process, I only had 2 interviews. I got rejected for the first one and I'm still waiting for a reply for my second interview.

It's really been an emotional time for me because my confidence slowly fades away and people keep asking if I've found a job yet. But be persistent and the time will come. I keep a journal so that I can get my thoughts down and it is really important to be around supportive family members and friends.

Good Luck and stay positive!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Having to search for a job absolutely stinks. It feels awful to not get called back or to be turned down for a position. Believe me, I'm sure we've all been there!

The thing that helped me when I was looking was remembering that the forces of the universe have a plan for me. I look at where I am now and how happy I am and I know that it was meant to be this way. It might have felt a little easier if things had worked out sooner for me, but I'm certain that I would have ended up in a place where I wasn't half as happy as I am here.

Take an evening for yourself and do something fun. Then take a deep breath and have at it tomorrow. The more work you put in, the more it pays off.

Have you considered relocating? Vegas is a wonderful place to live and we need lots of good teachers!

11. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

It is definitely hard to stay motivated. I just had to keep telling myself that God had a plan for me. This year I was a lot more persistent than last yr. and I also applied to more places than last yr. as well. I actually got a job in a district that I always said I would never teach at just because growing up it was my "rival school" and whatever. I have learned to never say never because you dont know what will happen. I have heard so many good things about this district and the principal seems awesome so I am very excited. Just dont give up and never put yourself down. I lost self-confidence too after last yr, but I then realized that some places just arent fair so just because I didnt get chosen didnt mean I wasnt a good candidate. Just apply everywhere you can and be persistent! Good luck!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2007

do something for yourself tomorrow. Enjoy your weekend. :angel:

13. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I stayed motivated by looking at my student loan papers.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2007

That will do it:( :eek:

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2007

I've come to the point, where every rejection must mean I'm one step closer to the real thing.....:D

16. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

That's a good way of looking at it. THe harder you try, the more likely you are to do it. THink of something you worked really really hard for and when you finally got it. Be persistent. Something will turn up. They say anything that matters is worth waiting for...I think:confused:

18. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 29, 2007

snickydog - Some of the ed tech jobs are like teaching assistant jobs. Then, some ed tech jobs are for special ed or behavioral programs. You really have to look to find the right one. I have heard that districts tend not to hire their good subs and assistants. I think that is very risky for the district, though, especially if the person is applying elsewhere. Wouldn't they rather have them as a teacher than to lose them completely from the district? Schools and their politics are just so strange! I am applying everywhere within a reasonable driving distance. I had not yet applied to ed tech jobs because I would rather be a teacher. I don't want to get hired for an ed tech job and then have teachers positions come up. KWIM? Ugh! It is just so hard! Thanks so much for your support.

Aliceacc - You are right. Can't get the jobs if I don't try for them. Thanks!

usfmeghi - Thank you. I am definitely keeping an open mind about the grade levels I am applying for. I really wouldn't mind any grades at all. I just want to find something! I send my application packets to wherever the ad says to send them. Sometimes it is to the principal, but mostly it is to the superintendents office.

Mrs.Gould - That is awesome that you were hired in a district that you never had experience with. That means they must have really liked something in your resume!

tiramisu - I hope that you get a call soon regarding your second interview. Waiting is the worst! It is really hard when people keep asking if I have found a job yet. Especially when most of my friends are already teachers. It is embarassing adn heartbreaking for me to say no. I am dreading having to go back and sub in this district because I can't help but take the rejection personally and it will kill me to have to sub for the teachers which got the jobs that I wanted. I am trying to stay positive, though. I will keep applying!

Cassie753 - That is an interesting perspective. I wonder what the forces have in store for me? Thanks! Can't relocate, unfortunately. My husband has a really good job here. If it wasn't for his great job, I would have to give up my teaching dream and just work in an office because I would need a fulltime paycheck!

Carebear05 - Thank you. I am going to keep applying everywhere and maybe, by some miracle, something will come up! Thanks!

MissFrizzle - Going to the mall today! That should be fun. Unfortunately no money to spend! haha! But, I am meeting my parents there and they know I am sad so I am sure my mom will help me out with some retail therapy! Thanks!

DaveF - Haha! No doubt!!!

willsgirl - Thank you very much. I hope you find a job soon, too.

njeledteacher - Thank you. Can't get very far without trying. I really needed to hear all this. I am much more motivated now! Gotta go out and buy me some resume paper!!!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

Try emailing your resume and cover letter to every principal whose email address you can find, regardless of whether or not they're posting an opening. It got me 2 interviews and job offers last year. What do you have to lose??

20. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Aliceacc - I don't know if I am brave enough to do that! I don't want to bother them and freak them out. Hmm....

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2007

Bother and freak them out??????

How bad do you want the job? How many countless inteviews have you been left hanging?

I say BOTHER Them

22. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I agree with MsFrizzle! E-mailing them is not bothering them. Personally, I find it hard to make phone calls, because it feels like bothering people, so I really have to convince myself which calls are really necessary, but a polite, concise email is fine.

good luck!

23. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2007

Emailing them is a good idea. Most admins would rather look at email than have to go through countless paper applications. I know because I've gotten responses from emails.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2007

Well, I didn't suggest you stalk them, just send an email:p

Seriously, let them know that you ARE the person they're looking for. It won't freak them out; I'm guessing that your email won't be the only one they receive. (But how cool it would be if I were wrong!!)

25. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jun 30, 2007

Thanks, girls! I will see what I can find for email addresses!

Friday has come and gone, with no phone call, so I did not get the job for the first interview I had. :(

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2007

...or something came up and they didn't get around to making phone calls.

27. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

Yes you HAVE to be persistent. I think I emailed some principals twice this year plus I sent them a packet that included my resume and my rec. letters. More than likely it does not bother them because they are so busy that they dont have time to get mad at people sending them stuff. Plus, it makes you stand out!

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 30, 2007

13 applications isn't very many in the last three yrs I have mailed out 270+ (including this year). I have had probably around 15 interviews. I found a job 230 miles away from my home. So this year I have sent out another 65 in the hopes of being home next year. I have had calls for five interviews. Three I did not got the job, the fourth I couldn't make the interview and the fifth the interview is in a couple of weeks. Don't give up yet. Just keep trying. Something has to come up. Hey if I get a job where I want one you can have mine in Scaryville LOL.

29. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 30, 2007

Be aggressive! Be yourself!
    Good Luck:)

30. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

How? It's hard.

I'm 40, second career. Student taught in 2005, finished my M.Ed. in 2006. Had great grades both undergrad and grad. Hold PA certifications in Secondary English, Secondary Social Studies, and K-12 Business & Computer Technology. Have 1 stint as an LTS under my belt, and the rest of the time I have been a per diem sub...all in the same district where I student taught. I learned that they were creating a new team in the 8th grade building, which is where I did much of my teaching, and where they know me VERY well. I applied for the positions that were open, had a first round interview, and then heard nothing. I learn later that the old principal (whom I had an excellent rapport with and who had observed me several time) was retiring, then just this past week I learn from another teacher in the building that the new principal had hired outside of the district. I was crushed...disappointed...frustrated...you name it. Howerver, the teacher that told me that the position had been filled then reminded me that many teachers don't let the district know about taking new jobs, retiring, etc. until late July or early August, and she told me that traditionally, that is when the most action happens.

In the meantime, I send out resumes to every job posting that I see that is a realistic commute. So far, I've had an interview for a part-time English position at a Quaker Friends' school, which I didn't get, and I have an interview on the 10th for an LTS position. That's sort of slim pickings, but at least it's something.

What's most frustrating is that I know I'm a great teacher. I have excellent references and letters of recommendation, I have real-world experience that no 22 year old college grad could ever match, and I have multiple certifications. Yet I seem to be missing some magical ingredient from my resume that really gets me noticed...I also wonder whether I am screwing myself by limiting my substitute teaching to a single district.

Anyway, I guess in the end, I stay motivated by thinking about how much I love to teach and how teaching really is the one best way that I, as an individual, can hope to have a positive impact on the world.

Pete

31. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Wow, Pete. I am so sorry. I hope that something opens up for you soon. So frustrating! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully in July or August things will open up and you can find something. Good luck! :)

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Just a thought Lindzee, most of the principals I know are on vacation this week.

33. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Jaime,

I am wondering if this will be a dead week here, too. Grr! Summer sucks! haha! ;)

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Oh the boards or in your part of Maine LOL. hey I made 100 bucks yesterday waitressing. That is after I gave 11 to my bussers!

35. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

My part of Maine! hahaha!

Yay! Great job!!! I could never ever ever waitress! Such hard work! I tried it once. Not for me!

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

I wish I could just take the summer off. Maybe next year! This is the first summer I'm only working one job. Usually I waitress, tutor for a school district, private tutor and worked summer school.

37. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

You never know, I got a call today for an interview. But I will say I agree, a lot of people do take off this week.

38. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Yay! Good luck!!!

I actually got called for an interview today, too. It is a 2nd interview with the superintendent. It is for the position I was told back on Wednesday that I did not get. :rolleyes: We will see what happens!

39. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

Great! I wonder why they said you didn't get it?? Maybe the person they offered it to declined? Good for you!

40. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Not sure! Thanks so much!