How do you start your day in Grade 4?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Canteacher, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Canteacher

Canteacher Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

Hi teachers,
    I realize it is the end of the school year, but I am getting ready for next year already...I will be teaching grade four after a few years in grade 3. I used to start the grade 3 day with the kids on the carpet doing a morning greeting, calenday time etc. I realize that grade fours are more grown up, so I am wondering how do you start the day with them? Do you do bell work or something else? I would really appreciate your advice!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 25, 2011

Morning Meeting.... It brings the class together as a group and helps to create a bond. We will begin by working on a social contract of what we believe our class should look like, and sound like. I also allow all students to share something about themselves. I will let the kids choose their own seats for the first few days and then, I will assign seats if those do not work out and are too distracting. We will talk about school wide rules and get "busy" with the work of teaching the kids to become fluent readers and writers. My philosophy is... "Let me facilitate your learning as you discover what reading and writing really is." Just love new beginnings...

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

You can still begin with a morning meeting and math or reading warm up.

5. MontanaBean

MontanaBean Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

We start every morning on the school steps singing (loudly) "If you're happy and you know it give a yell" with different things to yell each day. Sounds bizarre, but they love it. I can't tell you how many of my students have told me it helps them start their day on the right foot, regardless of what has already happened that morning. Then, morning meeting on the rug for announcements and some aspect of character ed. like a picture book or discussion about something going on in class. This gets us ready to jump into school with a great attitude.

6. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

This is a great thread! I'm starting at a new school this year, and I believe parents still bring their students to the classroom each day! I'm trying to think of some type of activity so that I can get students started and busy without depending on students coming into the classroom at the same time.

I'm thinking of something like silent reading for the first 10/15 minutes as all students arrive, and then a morning meeting. OR, some time of writing prompt/activity to start on at their desk for those lingering minutes. That way students are working and not chit chatting, but it's not dependent on me running the show, and I can use that time to check in with students, etc.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 21, 2011

We have school wide DEAR time. Our morning announcements come in the middle of that time, but after fifteen minutes of silent reading, we start our day.

I've always started with bellwork- journal writing, math warm-ups, or DOL, but I love the climate and atmosphere having DEAR in the morning provides.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2011

Silent reading/some type of 5-minute inquiry focus assignment and then writing class. I would love to stand on the steps and do "If you're happy and you know it...", but I don't know if I could pull it off eloquently. The steps are right by my classroom, though. ;) I am technically THE closest teacher to the steps.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2011

We start with bell-work. Our kids can start arriving at 7:30 and our day begins at 7:50. So, during that time, they unpack, turn in anything, get ready for their day, and then work on bellwork. (It's our dailies and then reading AR.) I stand at the door and greet everyone (we all do), but because they come in sporadically we can't do much else. At 7:50 our school day starts with all of us saying the Pledge and the Preamble. My class also sings. I have PowerPoints for about 15 different patriotic songs and we will do those for a couple of weeks, then swap out.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

Class message and then morning meeting ... Not specifically 4th but that is what I do.

11. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Last time I taught 4th, I had students do bell work for the first 10-15 minutes of the day. This may have consisted of a review from the day before, a mind bender or puzzle, or a journal prompt.

It was also expected that during this time students got their hw out, pencils sharpened, etc.

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

The first bell rings at 7:45, and school officially begins at 8:00.

I let mine talk to each other or read a book or finish homework. Some like to work on their projects or type stories. The only requirement is that pencils get sharpened and bookbags are put away. Some want to talk to me, which is adventurous since I'm not usually awake yet. I've never had a problem with this freedom first thing in the morning. One year I tried giving them some work to do, but it just annoyed me because some kids hadn't arrived in class yet and I'd have to keep up with that and find time for them to do it.

At 7:55, pledge and morning announcements over the intercom, and everyone moves to their seats. At 8, I add any announcements I need to, and then we start right in with math.

13. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Before we leave for the day, the kids set out their independent work folders and a sharpened pencil. Inside the folders are their Mountain Math, Mountain Language, and Daily Language Review sheets (along with any other unfinished work).
    This way when they walk in the door the next morning, they are ready to go.
    They have this independent work time while I enter the attendance and lunch count into the system. That's followed by flag salute, morning announcements, etc.
    We then go into our first subject of the day.
    I teach a 4/5 combination class and I'll also meet with either grade level during independent work time to check in.

14. mrsmaam

mrsmaam New Member

Aug 6, 2011

I use to start with Daily Oral Language and Daily Math Practice photocopied on two sides of a half sheet. The students would do this independently for 15-20 minutes while I take lunch count. Announcements and Pledge would come over the intercom in between this time. The worksheet is displayed on the SMARTboard where we go over them together. After a few weeks have past and the students understand the routine, I have 'mini-teachers' come up and correct the half-sheets on the SMARTboard, just as I did. They love this routine, and they love being a 'mini-teacher.' It also helps them with public speaking.

15. teach/reading

teach/reading New Member

Sep 5, 2011

I was reading everyone's ideas!!! I just changed grades and have never taught 4th i love the idea of a morning meeting. I do have a question though.... what is bell time?

16. debbiewalsh

debbiewalsh New Member

Mar 21, 2012

morning work

In our fourth grade class, we have a little morning work, but also use that time to allow students to tell me stories, personal things, how their evenings went, what they will be doing over the weekend, etc. By doing this in the morning, it helps eliminate some of the disruptions and personal stories during lessons.

In addition to this, the students turn in all their previous night's homework, have a short journal topic, and a word analysis page. The journal topics can be anything from "What did you do over weekend?" to "I woke up to find the room completely empty and..." These help the students come in and get ready for work. The word analysis is a language page that reviews prefixes, suffixes, compound words, etc.

On occasion, I will show a short video that may deal with a current event, or a youtube video that one of the students had made (I make sure to view them first).

Hope that adds to some more ideas for getting started in the morning. I enjoyed reading everyone else's ideas as well.