how do you start class?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by traeh, Sep 4, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 4, 2007

How do you start class? With a bellringer.. a rundown of events..?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

I would start everday with a bellringer, some kind of review of the previous days lesson, quote to comment on, or question of the day. Then if your only teaching one subject, after going over the bellringer, I would give them a summary of what they would be doing that day.

4. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

Bellringer

Daily Question; write the objective; Review question; Essential question, etc. I use DOG (Daily Geography) and have the students write the question and CSRQ the answer. They use one sheet of paper per week for their DOG. Count five lines down (not counting the first line, and draw a line (mine use rulers for neat lines); count five more lines down & draw another line. The paper will have 5 neat spaces for the DOG and its answer and the paper will be titled DOG 1 - 5 with the dates written in the margain next to the question. The back of the paper is used the following week for the same purpose.

Using this gets them in the mode to do their work, sets the tone for the class and gives you time to do attendance.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2007

My students review their objectives from the previous class and check them off if they were accomplished, then copy the new objectives. Then they begin the Word of the Day (a word in a sentence, they use context clues to figure it out, then do a few short activities like write an original sentence using it, write 2 synonyms, etc.) This gives me enough time to get everyone situated, do attendance, get make up work, etc. Then we start class by asking questions about the objectives from the day before if necessary, and going over the word of the day.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2007

I begin with a Bell Ringer, then the students check homework. I teach in a catholic school, so we then pray and go over the bell ringer and answer homework questions. I have to have the structure or I might never get started.

7. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 4, 2007

I guess what I'm wondering.. how is it possible that I write out the agenda and greet the kids while they enter class simultaneously... especially since I travel. There's not really enough time to write the agenda......

8. weno88

weno88 Companion

Sep 4, 2007

How many classes do you teach?
    Maybe you could get an easel pad or those huge Post-it notes and write out the agendas at the beginning of the day and just carry around the pad?
    I only teach 2 subjects and have a small chalkboard where I write the agenda for the next day every afternoon.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

I'm in a Catholic HS too.

We start, at the bell, with a prayer. The homework is already on the board, as is a "do now" problem. (This year my department wants extra focus on the SATs. So the freshman math teachers have decided to make our Do Now practice SAT questions.)

The kids copy the HW and do the problem(s) as I take attendance and check the homework. Then we go over the HW and start the new lesson.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 4, 2007

I have a "flashback" on the SmartBoard when the kids enter. They write the agenda in their planners, complete the flashback, and read their library books. Twenty minutes later we go over the flashback and then continue with the lesson for the day.

I used a similar system when I taught in three different rooms. All of them had an overhead projector, and I posted my agenda and bellringer on the overhead. I had four different classes in four different rooms at two schools . . . so that was an overhead for each class.

11. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Sep 5, 2007

I'm a traveling teacher do and you flat out cannot get to your classroom, right the warm-ups on the door and greet every student. I have tried and it just doesn't work.

It is SO important they have something to do when they walk in, if you put off writing your warm ups to greet people, then you have a class full of kids with nothing to do until you are finished. Try your best to greet kids, but don't feel bad if you don't. With that being said, as the kids come in and sit down and I tell them hello/good morning/how was your day while I write the warm-ups.

If you don't want to write the agenda, you could always have a half-piece of paper that talks about what they are doing for the day/week and homework/tests and they pick that up as they come in... but that is a lot of paper

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2007

I start with a bellringer which is posted on the board or overhead before they even enter the classroom. This year it's in the form of a writing prompt, photograph, or quotation, and I ask students for a written response. I set a timer for 10 minutes, and during that time students are supposed to be quiet, contemplative, and writing. While they are writing, I take attendance and get my stuff together for the period.

Once the bellringer is done, we sometimes talk about it. Then I mention any housekeeping things or announcements. Then we go over the agenda, which they have to write down in their planners. After that we go over homework. And finally we get started on the new stuff, whatever that may be.

Oh, and I keep my agenda posted all day. I have a section of my whiteboard blocked off with electrical tape with columns for each course I teach. In each column I write the day's objectives, homework due for that day, and homework assigned on that day.

13. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 5, 2007

My kids come in and complete the warm-up. The warm-up is gone over, I give them like a minute to quickly organize their binders, quickly take care of any housekeeping items or announcments, we go over the agenda and objectives (posted on the side board for each class). I forgot to mention that as my kids do their warm-ups I walk around the room and check off homework. Then once the agenda is gone over which lists the homework due and the homework for today, we go over last nights homework.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 6, 2007

I was bored so popped over here to see what secondary teachers talk about!

Anyway, could you carry a small white board and keep an agenda already prepared on it? You could then just set it in the front of the room. I am thinking of the kind of lightweight white board that you might use for household memos. They usually come with some magnetic strips, and you could either put it on the board or set it on the edge of the regular board. I had a year where I moved to different classes, and I would write the agenda on a chart paper and stick it on the board each day with magnents. (My kids were little so the agenda was virtually the same each day so I had maybe three charts I rotated.) I think the white board would work better, as long as it's light enough to not feel like a pain to carry around.

15. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Sep 8, 2007

For math I do a few warm up questions to review previous skills learned the day before. Maybe three problems, because I don't want to spend the day teaching a lesson on the warm-up. Then, they start copying the notes from the overhead for 10 minutes (I have a 90 minute period). During this time they also scan their scantrons for their accelerated math homework.

For science, pretty much the same. I may tell them to turn to a page and look at the diagram or picture, etc. and ask a question based on it. Or, I may have a quick write of some sort.

16. KDS

KDS Companion

Sep 9, 2007

i carried a small white board for a while....till i kept losing it...i can chalk that up to being VERY preggy and i would have forgotten my head if it wasnt attatched...

ANYWAY, i always started with attendance...but i would ask the Question of the Day...if i had a place to write it (in my own room) or had the white board, i would write it on there...if not i would just SAY the question and when i call s students name, they HAD to answer the question...no passing etc...

QoDay samples:
    What is your favorite color?
    Who would you want as your prom date? (famous or not)
    Where were you born (city)?

all sorts of easy basically one word answers. It helped me remember student's names b/c i had something to connect to their names..it MADE students participate at least once a day...students would actually get pretty quiet so they could hear other's answers...i had time to focus on what i wanted to do next...and i had some interesting responses.

and heaven forbid if i FORGOT to do the QoDay...and this is HS...so even if i couldnt think of one for the day...my 1st pd would come up with them...

just kind of a fun way to start class...and i would find ways sometimes to have the question deal with the subject of the lesson that day...ie: discussing advertising/persuasion, the QoDay would be "whats your favorite/least favorite commercial?"
    It also gave students a chance to get out papers etc they need for that day