How do you spice up your reading center?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by clld2tch, Oct 13, 2009.

1. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Oct 13, 2009

If you have a reading center during your center time, what kinds of things do you do to make it enjoyable for your kids? The majority of mine don't really like going to the reading center too much. I was looking for some ways to make it fun so that they don't get that mentality that they're being forced to look at books and end up disliking reading. Any ideas?

Thanks!

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

I have picture books, pop up books, alphabet puzzles, phonics pocket chart and some electronic games and a Leap Frog book. I also have some comfy chairs. The children will ask to go there during their free time so I guess they like it. :)

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

I also have a comfy couch, and all the favorite books there, a great dinosaur pop up, I spy books, class made books, and my recently read holiday books.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 14, 2009

We are a touch younger, but I always make sure there are interactive extensions of the book in the area for a team of readers. Like "The Bear Snores On" with all of the puppets. The team can work together to read the book. Makes it work a bit more for other learning styles.

6. PocketfuloCntrs

PocketfuloCntrs Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

Changing the books every few weeks helps to keep interest in the reading center. Change them with a new season or theme that you are working on (but, of course, always keep out there favorites) Add cute pointers for reading (seasonal pencils with erasers).

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 14, 2009

My kids LOVE big books - especially ones I've read to the class. A big book and pointer is heaven for them. :)

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

I include pointer fingers and eye pointers (googly eyes on a popsicle stick) they really like this too!:)

9. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Oct 15, 2009

Do you do sight words? Once I start teaching sight words (we call them "star words") kids start recognizing them in the print they see in the books they look at. Boy, is it an exciting process! Once they start pointing out the words, I give them a small magnifying lense and tell them to search for the words. Once they start finding a lot of them, I give them a small clip board, a paper and a pencil and I have them write the words down that they find. I have also created a tally sheet for the words they find frequently like "the". Once we get done with our reading time, we bring our tally sheets to circle time with us and we add how many "the"s the whole class found during our reading time. And so on for the other words we found. They really dig doing this.

You could also give them articles from the newspaper and a highlighter and tell them to highlight any and all sight words that they find. ...hey, it keeps them busy even when they don't want to sit quietly and look at books.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 16, 2009

I change the books monthly with our theme and the season/holiday, but also I put things like highlights magazine or Ranger Rick...they like the magazines because they think they are more "adult". They also like books that I have multiple copies of, because one of the children in the center plays the 'teacher' and 'reads' it to the 'student'...The way they pretend to be me can be scary! :eek:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

Do you have a reading workshop time in addition to 'reading center'?

12. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

No this is my first year in Kindergarten so I'm still really trying to figure out how all of this works. I guess, trying to see what is appropriate and what isn't for 5 year olds. Just a little lost:blush:

Thanks for the ideas, you guys. I actually do have some of the things that you're mentioning. Maybe I just need more structure to my center time (with attention to the reading center).

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

What kind of reading instruction are you providing outside of the 'center'?

14. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

We use the SF Reading Street curriculum. Every morning I do lessons on Shared Reading, Shared Writing, Word Work, and Writing. Center time is reserved for the afternoon. Students go to the Reading, Writing, Word Work, Math, Computer, or Listening center every day while I meet with small groups.

15. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

In my reading center I switch out "extras":
    - Reading glasses with lenses popped out
    - Pointers
    - Buddies (beanie babies to read to)
    - Magic Stones (clear stones that magnify when over a word, I got them at Target)
    - Phones (like PVC phones, increase volume when reading to themselves)
    - Post its (sharing connections)

I also try to have the middle display shelf change every 2 weeks with books we have been reading or books for the current holiday.

HTH!

16. msj

msj Companion

Oct 27, 2009

I totally agree! My kids are prek, but Big Books always pull them in!

17. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Oct 31, 2009

I have several stuffed animal bears. They love reading to their bear buddies.

18. KinderWonder

KinderWonder Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

I just googled something similar to this and found a really cool website, now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not saving it... Basically what I saw was teachers using themes for their reading centers. One teacher had a jungle/safari theme, so she had fake greenery, printed pillows, tiki torches, and fun foam monkeys and birds. Another teacher had an underwater theme with fish, shells, blue paper in the background, etc. I think the main thing that would make students want to go in that direction would be to make it look more fun and inviting. Then you could incorporate all the other suggestions with pointers, magnifying glasses, reading buddies, and the like.

19. langspeech

langspeech Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

I love Lumi's thinking. That thought of having a variety of print material for the children to expore gave me an idea to search for comic books which accommodate visual learners i.e., children with autism. Look for books that have a few different different sequences of the same idea on a single page.