How do you spend your summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by live, Jun 26, 2013.

1. live

live Companion

Jun 26, 2013

I've been looking for a new teaching job, reading/internet surfing, and riding my bike. Since recipes are never just for 1 person, I've also been cooking way more food than I could ever eat, which I will be donating to my roommates.

Everyone I know in my area works during the summer, so I'm having trouble finding things to do by myself. My teacher friends live a bit away. I'm considering taking a part-time job or volunteering. Not being busy is driving me insane. I'm hoping to travel at least a little at some point, depending on the job search.

How are you spending your days off?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2013

The last work day of my previous job was 5/23. I had to look for a new job for 2013-14 & fortunately got one quite early into the summer on 6/7. I had to do some summer school work 2x/week for the rest of June, so I worked 6 days this month & my last day was today.

I have a month & a 1/2 to really relax!

- go to the movies
    - walk/shop the malls
    - go on a few day trips
    - go to an amusement park or two
    - exercise (walk & go to the gym)
    - meet a few pals for lunch...they all work at schools too (I already met with 2)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2013

A few home projects

Reading

Gardening

Beach days

Day trips

Working out

Tutoring

Enjoying family time

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

Nannying
    Working on my house
    Lots of prep for next year
    Hanging with BF
    Working on my weight loss :)

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2013

I used to work up until ds was born. Now summers are all about my little boy and me. :)

Trips to the library, fitness center, zoo, and other kid places
    read
    playdates
    go to the shore
    hang out with family
    go to the pool
    sleep in (as late as a 2 yo will let you)

And I will sprinkle in some time to get ready for my new batch of 2nd graders

7. kevmic28

kevmic28 Companion

Jun 26, 2013

Usually I pack up the travel trailer and spend a few weeks at the beach camping and fishing. This year I taught summer school. Just ended today. Now I am packing so I can move across the state to my new job so no beach for me this summer. But Ill be on the beach for Thanksgiving.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2013

Good list Cza........

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 26, 2013

I'm an only child. I've lived alone the majority of my adult life. I live in the boonies. I have to entertain myself.

I do lots of puttering around the house. There is always cleaning, reorganizing, or yard work to do. I have a small garden. I sew & cross stitch. Earlier in the week I spent two hours at the library in one of their rocking chairs. I read and people watched. I stay up late and sleep late. There are a couple of pools within 30 miles. The closest is 15 miles, but it is packed with students. No thanks!

I will call friends some days. Most of my friends are teachers. We will go out to eat or shop some. I need to get back in a gym routine. Today I ran into my mom at the salon, and we went to a thrift store and then out to eat. Running errands with my BFF later this week. Have jury duty tomorrow. My EX is in an outdoor drama in July. He sent me free tickets last summer.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 26, 2013

Hmmm...
    It does take a little while to get used to the summer "schedule".
    - walking
    - reading
    - staying up late
    - gardening
    - doing that cleaning that I never seem to get to during the year
    - doctor's appointments
    - lunch with friends
    - visiting family

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 28, 2013

We usually take a trip to the upper Midwest for a week in late June or early July. The past couple years I have spent the summer working, house cleaning, organizing, sleeping in, staying up late, and just catching up on all the stuff that seems to get but on the back shelf during the school year.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2013

This summer, I taught a week of summer school, spent a week at the beach, and am buying a house. I had planned on doing the first two but the house purchase was sort of a surprise. The rental we've been living in will be going on the market so we decided to buy instead of find another rental. So, I'll also be packing, cleaning, painting, and planting.

During a normal summer, I spend time reading professional books, deep cleaning a room at a time, embroidery, reading, and taking a nap or two.