How do you sign your name?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Jun 23, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

Alright, this may sound silly. I have a very italian last name, and I never give it. Like at restaurants or for pizza, I always give my first name because my last name begins a long spelling/pronunciation discussion. So, when I began teaching this year, it was literally the first time I was known as "Miss C". My first name is Jayna so I've always been the only one :) and there was never any need for a last name!
    So, I am (getting better) uncomfortable being called "Miss C" (prefer Jayna!). Especially by parents. I am younger than all of them!! I suppose that is something that gets better as you older. So, my question is, how do you sign letters/notes/messages to parents?? I have changed this through the year as I feel stupid using my last name and simply want to sign "Jayna", LOL.
    So, do you sign:
    Miss Smith
    Jayna Smith
    J. Smith
    Miss J. Smith
    Miss Jayna Smith

I get confused. Is it too casual to use my first name? Too snooty to not use it? Does it make a difference if this was jotted in their agenda or if it was an e-mail? If I scribbled something in their agenda, I usually initialed it becuase I usually took up too much space and it is usually not very important (remember to sign Susie's permission slip).

Just wondering what the norm is. Another silly little thing they don't teach you in college (like report card comments :eek:)

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

If I'm signing my name at school it's Mrs. fill in the blank. Same with an email. If I'm just initialing something I use my first & last name initials only. When I check planners I use a stamp or initial.

I heard a keynote spoker say one time that you should never shorten your name i.e. never let the kids call you Ms. P. Teach them how to properly say your name.

To me the Miss or Mrs. is a sign of respect. I would feel uncomfortable if my children's teachers asked me to call them by their 1st name.

4. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 23, 2008

I have a short Italian last name (Micci). I always get it pronounced as Mickey or Meesee. I always make a joke about it at our orientation night before school begins. I joke that the double c is pronounced just like Gucci. You wouldn't call him Gucky :) I think the parents appreciate that I get the pronunciation out right away so that they don't have to worry about pronouncing it wrong and being embarrassed. They also like that I can look at it with a sense of humor.

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

I always make the parents and students call me Sra. Rivera. ROFL! I had to practice my own name before I could tell them to do it. :p I like it because it's a bit different. I suppose I could use Frau Rivera because of my German side; however, I spend most of my time with my husband and his family.

I don't think students should ever call you by your first name. Adding Miss, Mrs, and Ms. are all signs of respect.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

Mee-Chee? When I read it, that is how I thought to pronounce it. Must be the Italian in me.
    I also do last name lessons. They never do get the spelling right (I had one note come in in May saying "To whom it may concern" and the child said my mom couldn't spell your name).

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

I guess I should clarify. They don't call me Miss C. They call me by my full last name. They are 5th graders and capable. I just do not feel comfortable posting my extremely unusual Italian last name on here and it begins with a C.

I also don't ask them to call me by their first name. But I worry (I moved from the north to teach in the south) if I come off uppity if I sign everything and omit my first name all together.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

So, my real question is do you EVER incorporate your FIRST name when signing things? Or is it ALWAYS just your LAST name??

And, I mean when sending things to parents, not the kids.

9. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 23, 2008

I never incorporate my first name when signing things related to work or business. If I am emailing or writing friends and family, then I use my first name. Otherwise, it's the title followed by my last name.

10. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 23, 2008

My signature on all my emails is my first and last name, but I always sign Mrs. Micci on all letters that I write home. I've never had a parent call me by my first name, even though that is on my voicmail message and email signature. I never call parents by their first name either. I guess I like the mutual respect.

I love when my students write me notes and they do the phonetic spelling of my name. It always makes me giggle!

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 23, 2008

I was always confused by this too. I would typically go by Miss cMcD. This year I'll probably sign e-mails to parents with my first and last name. Letters home I'll go by Miss cMcD.

12. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

I always sign Ms. Lastname on anything going to parents. It becomes so routine for me that I had to void a check one time because I had signed Ms. Lastname on the signature line instead of Firstname Lastname!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 23, 2008

I always sign Mrs. LastName as well. I think it helps to remind parents that you are a professional and not a casual acquaintance.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

Thanks guys. I was randomly looking school things up yesterday at work (summer job) for ideas and came across a sample letter from a teacher to a parent and it was signed with their full name (first and last). Since this was always something I had issues about, I had a few moments of panic. I was wondering if I've been rude all year long everytime I simply signed Miss Longitalianname! Instead of Jayna Longitalianname!

I still feel weird being called Miss Longitalianname, but I will learn to live with it :)

15. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 23, 2008

Hmmmmm, this is a really great thread! I just started at a new school last year. This school sends home lots of team letters. They always sign their first and last name on them so I did too. Up until then I've always signed just my last name. I think I'll go back to last only. Dare to be different, right? :)

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 23, 2008

I always sign my letters and communications...Mrs. J. Dub :)

17. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 23, 2008

I usually introduce myself to parents with my firstname lastname, but I prefer the kids to call me mrs. B. (mrs. lastname is still my mother-in-law to me). Some of the parents call me mrs. b and some call me mrs. lastname. When I sign letters home, it's usually firstname lastname or mrs. b. I feel that my first name is mine and private, if that makes sense. I even put a sticker over my first name on my ID badge so the kids couldn't read it because then they use it.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

I use a signature on all my emails with my full name, no Mrs.

I'll add that I do think it's okay for students to address teachers by Ms/Miss/Mrs/Mr plus an initial, if that's what the teacher prefers. I don't think it's disrespectful or lazy at all. I ask that my students call me "Mrs. DM" which is an initials-only version of my long last name.

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 23, 2008

Most home to school communication is Miss Buck8teacher. My back to school letter and end of year letters are signed First Name Buck8teacher. In fact most more personable communication, like letters are signed First Name, Last Name. I use my signature for emails, and that is First Name, Last Name. It really depends on the type of communication for me.

My kids call me Miss Buck8teacher, and most of my parents do too. I sometimes abbreviate things and write see Miss D on the board instead of my full last name, but they don't typically abbreviate my name.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

I have always signed communication to parents Mrs. Lastname. However, I was in constant contact with two parents so by the end of the year I was signing their communications full name, no Mrs.

21. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

Hi. I think that in order to establish boundaries and respect both parents and students should call you Ms. Soandso. I always sign Ms. First Initial and Last Name only because there are three other teachers at my school with my same last name. If not it would just be: Ms. Soandso.

22. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 23, 2008

It is always Mrs. Lastname in any type of communication, even when leaving a phone message.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2008

I usually sign, Mrs. B. Lastname. Sometimes, though, I use, Mrs. Firstname Lastname. No rhyme or reason, just whatever comes out. In phone calls, always Firstname Lastname, never Mrs.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

My former team teacher was always Mrs. I instead of Mrs. Isenegger, because it was so much faster to say. She called me 'Uppman', even around the kids, but they never picked up on that habbit. Even my boss at the moment calls me Uppman.

When I started teaching, I was Miss Moore. My mother was the principal, so she was Mrs. Moore, and the kids only started to put two and two together at the end of the year. When I got married, it was weird to hear my new last name, especially with my mom around, but I got use to it really fast. I think it helped me own the name faster. Kids would call me Mrs. Upper-man, though, which cracked me up. When I interviewed this spring, most of the private schools I interviewed at had students calling teachers by their first names. The school I ended up at, however, does not do that. I'll be Mrs. Uppman there. But I'm signing all of our top secret letters Agent U, so I wouldn't be surprised if they start calling me Mrs. U before long. I don't really care. I have so many names-Katie, Kate, Kat, Mrs. Uppman, Uppman, hey you-it doesn't matter anymore. I just sign Mrs. Uppman to all letters home, unless it's a thank-you or personal note-then I sign Katie.

25. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

At school I always sign my first name, but we all go by first names at my school. No Mr. or Ms. It actually feels WEIRD when I get mail or a phone message with Ms. MYLASTNAME.

I guess that's kind of funny, since my name on here is Miss Froggy. I picked it because it was NOT my name. :) (And I had changed it because my old name on here was actually MY SCHOOL NAME! When I signed on the first time, I was trying to think of something I would remember, not knowing I would be posting on here constantly! )

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2008

When I taught I always signed first & last. Most of my student's parents went to school with me & they know me by my first name...not a big deal. Of course you always have the kids trying to figure out your first name thing. Well, I had a relative in my class, so first day I told them he will try really hard to call me Mrs. last name, but if he slips it's ok, but everyone needs to know to call me Mrs. last name. I really wasn't bothered by either way. Not a big deal.

Funny story when I subbed the kids would always call pronounce my name wrong, so I told them it rhymes with this word & I would see this one little boy who always called me by the rhyming word!!!

27. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 23, 2008

Since I have such a common last name, and one of two (will be three next year with my sister joining us) Ms. So and Sos in the building, normally attach my first initial Ms. R. So and So. My students know my first name, but they know to refer to me by my last name. Parents do the same.

28. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

What school are you at giraffe? I'm also in Charlotte.

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2008

I teach in Rowan county, but live next to Lake Norman

30. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 2, 2008

I use Miss ___________.

31. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 2, 2008

Two years ago, I had a child in my class who lives 5 houses down from me. I have always called his mom by her first name, and she has always called me by mine. But in school, she calls me Ms. Lastname, and I call her Ms. Lastname.

One time in the neighborhood, she waved and said "Hello, Ms. Storm!" I had to laugh. I said "We aren't in school...you can use my REAL name!"

32. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

When I sign newsletters or messages or progress reports it's Mrs. Lastname. Initials are FML and final report cards Mrs. Firstname, Last Name.

I have a youngish aide, and I always call her Miss Lastname in class, and so do the students. She also works in daycare at which time the students call her by her first name. THey seem to have no problem with the different names for different functions.

Most of the parents address me as "Maestra."

33. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I have a lot of parents that usually address me by my first name (it's included in our email address and on our websites) in emails/notes, which always throws me a bit because it seems so casual, but I always sign my name as Ms. _______________. I figure it sounds more professional.

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 2, 2008

I do the same. Sign notes home, letters, etc. Miss _______. I innitial notebooks and memos at school with first and last innitials. Whenever I e-mail or call parents I never use my first name with only one execption; I tutored the son of a former collegue and we were already on a first name basis. My name is pretty simple to say and read so there is no excuse for anyone not to know it.

As a side note, I was brought up to always use formal titles and last names with my parents friends and anyone else outside the family unless the families were really close and the adults gave me permission to use their first name. My parents never called my teachers by their first names so I always figured parents would follow my lead and call me by the name I used when I introduced myself. One year though I had a mother who just decided out of the blue to call me by my first name even though I always called her Mrs. ______. I never knew where she got the idea that first names were acceptable. I'm not sure she ever did this in front of students though.