how do you review for state tests with your students?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, May 8, 2011.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 8, 2011

I'm kinda at a loss as to how I should prepare students for their tests. As a first year teacher I don't have experience to guide me. On top of that I am unfamiliar with which objectives are typically on the test and, therefore, which to spend time reviewing. It's making my stress level rise!! Any ideas on how to make this task more manageable?

3. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

May 8, 2011

Our school purchases Test Prep booklets.

Not sure about your state, but my state releases questions that were on the state tests from previous years. I suggest you search and if Utah doesn't have it, try CA or Texas.

So with either test prep questions, we'll correct it together and I or the students will model their thinking out loud. I'll also try and teach strategies. I make sure they show evidence or find evidence for their answer.

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

May 8, 2011

Most states also have copies of the most frequently tested indicators and/or standards.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 8, 2011

Look at your state site. Released tests and testing objectives should be listed.

6. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 9, 2011

I would look at the objectives on the review booklets and make a note of them.
    Review the objects through the whole year. Then, you aren't cramming last minute and wasting precious instruction time.
    This is what the schools I have taught in and observed in have always done and the students to very well on the tests.

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 9, 2011

I try to make test prep as enjoyable for the kids as I can because the last 2 weeks before the test is a lot of heavy review. Prior to that I try to pepper in questions at least once a week for each subject area (math and reading for me) using clickers, a computer program like classmarker, or study island. I get these questions from released test questions on my states DOE website, test prep workbooks from years past, and other supplemental books.

The last two weeks we play Jeopardy with clickers, "grade" already completed tests (I fill in the test and students have to justify their grading of the test. It forces them to think about the value of each answer and rationalize their decisions), and creating our own test questions. This way they're reviewing but it's in a more creative and deeper-thinking level.

Next year I want to use the test prep workbook (need to remember to order those).

Perhaps the best preparation you can do is helping the kids to understand the logic behind the different question types because you cannot possibly know everything that will be on the test but if you give them tools to eliminate answers and evaluate questions they'll be able to apply those to those "thinker problems."

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2011

"Test prep", or "anything done to purposefully raise test scores" are not technically allowed (for us). Stupid, stupid.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 10, 2011

Does that mean you're not even allowed to go over the directions with them?

I can see not teaching to the test, but I would hate to think that they're walking into a test having no idea what to expect, even in terms of question type.