How do you respond to turning down an original offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teachling, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

I'm going to try to be as clear as I can without getting into specifics. Before school ended, my P & I talked about a possible position that would be open for next year. At the time I expressed interest because it was the only vacancy & I wanted to teach 5th grade. The P also stated that there was another possible vacancy to teach LA & that she would want to place me there.

Fast foward to two weeks ago, I was offer a position to teach 5th but was placed as team teaching. Then I received an e-mail asking if I am still interested in the 'possible position' that I had expressed interested in last year.

My question is how do I turn it down? I am not interested because it would be more challenging & I would be the only one doing it plus I am concern of lack of resources in certain aspects. I really look forward to working for this P & don't want to put myself in a bad light. On the other hand, I want to be honest regarding my feelings about this.

How would you respond?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2010

Dear P,

Thank you so much for considering me for the 'possible position'. At this time, I feel my strengths are in teaching fifth grade and would prefer to remain in that position. I enjoy the collaborative approach of team teaching and know that I have much to bring to the grade level. I look forward to a successful year in fifth grade at XYZ School.

4. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

CZACZA I sent you a PM. Thanks for your response.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

What Cazxaz said seems very professional. I would go wih that. They cant be upset that you chose a different position. Maybe a little disappointed but I think thats all. Good luck

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

Are both jobs at the same school? If so the principal may just be trying to let you choose and get a feel for what job he should be looking to hire for. I would either phone him/her or e-mail and say that you are very excited about the grade 5 placement and would prefer to stay there.

7. CLESprtsFan

CLESprtsFan Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

:yeahthat:

I think this sounds great. Another option if you are close to your P and feel comfortable doing so you could give him or her a call to discuss it-that way you will get immediate feedback.

8. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 10, 2010

I think that may be the case here. Thanks for all the input.

9. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

Did you get it all figured out?

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 11, 2010

Yes, I got it all figured out. Basically, I e-mail the P & express that I was very happy that P had hired me to teach 5th grade & that to answer the question between choosing A or B, I rather do B. P gave me B. Needless to say that I am relieve & happy, though I had been preparing myself to do A. I was honest since P was interested in knowing.

Thank you for your responses & advice. I appreciate it greatly.