How do you remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2012

I was watching this video on youtube and thought I'd see what others are doing tomorrow or this week.

I will say prayers for everyone, of course. I also plan to try and have a few moments of silence throughout the day. As far as my teaching, one class is reading an article about the dogs of 9/11 and another is doing a victim profile writing assignment. Teachers are also encouraged to wear red, white, and blue. Our high schoolers in band will go down to the elementary to play patriotic music.

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2012

We'll have a moment of silence in the morning... we've never done it before, but we're starting tomorrow.

I won't teach a lesson. I spent most of that day desperately trying to reach relatives (all circuits are busy, all circuits are busy... for hours) while glued to the TV. It's still too raw to try and teach through.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2012

Hugs, chebrutta. I realized my seniors were only in 1st grade and my sophomores weren't even in school yet. I was in 7th grade and I will never forget that day.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

We start each class with a prayer anyway.

Tomorrow's will be on behalf of all those who lost someone on that day, and for all the lost.

I'll acknowledge that there's no intelligent segue from that to geometry, and we'll start class.

Attendance will be a little off, as some of our kids will be at Ground Zero.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

At home, well remember my DH's Naval Academy classmate who died at the Pentagon. We'll plan a visit to the museum at the NYC site later in the month...I've been there, dh hasn't. Museum was scheduled to open tomorrow.

In class, I'll read a book about heroes and we'll do some writing about our personal heroes in our lives.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2012

My students were only 1 or 2 years old... they have no memories of it at all. I was a sophomore in college.

Just remembered: student with a birthday tomorrow. So I suppose we'll sing a rousing "Happy Birthday" in class.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

For the first time (for me--I teach 5th grade), none of my students were born when 9/11 happened. We will discuss heroes and tie it in to the events of that day. It should be interesting to see what knowledge they have of those events.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2012

That just made me tear up. How sweet, Alice. You do a great job with your kids :)

11. Ross

Ross Comrade

Sep 10, 2012

My students were just infants when the attack on the World Trade Center and the country occurred. Yet today in classes, many of them raised their hand when I asked them if they had any family members or friends of the family that were part of those events that day. This means that these young students have an awareness of 9/11.

I urge all students to ask their parents if they have any information about 9/11 that they could share with them.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

They're still a work in progress; I'll let you know in 10 years.

But thanks!

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2012

If they're anything like you, I'd consider it a success!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

Thanks.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

It is a very moving experience. I hate the in-fighting going on over the museum, but I know several people who 'got out' that day and dh has a classmate who died...so for us, going there is a respectful remembering.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

I just would be such an emotional wreck.

I know my limitations, and they end several blocks from the World Trade Center site.

I know someone who got out too, and saw her on 9/12/01. She was such a confused mix of relief ,sore muscles from all those stairs, incredible sadness and guilt that she managed to survive where others hadn't.

Eleven years later, I don't know how she's doing. I know her job moved to NJ in the aftermath, and that she commuted for a while afterwards. She's the sister of someone we no longer speak to, and we haven't run into her in years. I hope she's somehow managed to make peace with the losses of that day.

17. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 10, 2012

I have a short video that students will watch about the 9/11 attacks, and we will discuss what happened on that day, how it affected so many of the people involved, and the long-term effects for our world. I started teaching a full lesson on 9/11 last year when I realized that many of my 9th grade students didn't even remember the event happening. I am guessing that hardly any of them (if any at all) will remember it this year, since they were only 3 years old in 2001.

18. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 10, 2012

Wow, time has gone by so quickly that I didn't even process the time of year. I'm visiting/observing a class on my own time tomorrow and I have no idea what they will be doing. I'm actually very interested to see.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 10, 2012

I'm observing a class tomorrow too. I wonder how the teacher will mark the day.

I was in 6th grade when 9/11 happened. Didn't find out anything had even happened until 3:30 that day.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

I was listening to the radio on my way home from spending the night at my, then boyfriend now hubby's, mom's house. I had just started my first year of college. It didn't dawn on me, at first, how big this was. I juts remember all stations were talking about this event in New York. When I got home, my dad was watching the news. I remember being pretty afraid about what city was going to be hit next.

I also remember gas prices shot UP! It was, what, around $2, and it went beyond $4 (or so, maybe more, my memory's a bit fuzzy). But that was a huge concern to me too. I remember thinking, what IS going on?

Anyways, I teach in an afterschool program. We didn't plan on doing any patriot activities, but I think I will talk about heroes tomorrow with my kids.