How do you reinforce turning in homework?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I have been reading Fred Jones, and I want to do something that reaches the student more personally than contributing to whole-class PAT- Preferred Activity Time- in this area (though I will do PAT as well).

I want the student to know how important it is to turn in homework. Previous teachers said they're either excellent with this or it is an issue- and for a few, IT IS A PROBLEM. I really want to guide them in the right direction- professionally and with a positive, can-do attitude. What do you suggest?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

I read this elsewhere- Mine have to do theirs during recess if they don't do it at home. It's a rule for our whole grade level.

If I couldn't do that, I'd make them sit at a table alone at lunch. The only problem with that is that the homework is still not done. Most 4th graders hate to eat alone, without talking to anyone, so it's a big punishment. They'd continue doing that every day until the homework is turned in. I always contact parents, though - even if it's just a note on their homework log (that's signed nightly).

I am curious about your opinion. I want them to know there is a set consequence besides not earning the class minutes towards PAT. I would not yell at the student or be rude to him- I would say calmly and professionally, "X, since you did not get your homework done, I would please like for you to complete this on your own during lunch today." If you have a better solution, that is great, too.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

This may be good for finding the cause as well, helping the student to reflect, though this is not a consequence, necessarily (read at Proteacher, though I don't post there)-

Missing Assignment Slip

Name__________________________
    Date_______________

Circle Appropriate Subject: Missed assignment I will turn in tomorrow:

Math ___________________________
    Word Work
    Social Studies ___________________________
    Reading
    Writing ___________________________

I did not turn in this assignment because I…….. circle appropriate response…….

1. …did not write down the complete assignment in my planner.
    2. …did not bring home the correct materials.
    3. …did not understand the assignment and did not solve my problem.
    4. …did not have time because ______________________________.
    5. …just did not do it!
    6. …lost it. I last saw it___________________________________.
    7. …did not bring it to school today.
    8. …other:___________________________________________ __.

I will make sure that this does not happen again by ________________

__________________________________________________ ____.

_______________________ _______________________
    Teacher Signature Student Signature

The teacher said when the kid gets to slip #3, she calls home, though this is not what I would do. I'd love to hear thoughts and may still post possible thoughts or things to talk about.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2009

Every day, each student who turned in all homework got to give him/herself a check on a chart. The chart was posted right near where they turned in their work (to files). When one line was completely full, they got to pick a treat from the goodie box.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Some kids aren't enticed by the goodies, though. We have a school money system, and the $2 in school money they can receive daily doesn't matter to some as much.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 14, 2009

I have only taught MS and HS, so take this lightly. Personally, when I taught MS I never took away recess or gave detention for miss homework. In my opinion these consequences should only relflect students behavior, not their academic grades.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

So how can you make the reward for doing homework intrinsic? Can you encourage presentations in class of projects done at home, so students know they will be held accountable for more than just a grade? Could you have project-based learning where students get to choose their assessment types, so students are motivated to work on a project they are highly interested in? Do students understand the purpose of the homework, or do they think it's just more work and therefor have no interest in doing it?

Are teachers giving too much 'busy work' for homework? I don't want to come home after work and do 100 math problems, either. Homework should either be an extension of the learning in the classroom that time did not allow, or a necessary review of what was taught, and presented in a concise and effective manner.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 14, 2009

I'm counting all my bell ringers and homework as one point per assignment towards any major grade in a 9 week period the students wish raise. I figure that's anywhere between 9 and 15 points and they get to decide how to use it or if they want to use it. Granted, it's totally optional without negative consequence. I'm trying it out to see how things go.

10. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

i have been using the "Pink Slip" for several years now and it works wonderfully - so much in fact our whole team does it now. If a student does not have a homework assignment completed, I simply tell them to get a pink slip and fill it out. They date and sign it and I file it in their folder. There is no fussing, yelling, nothing. On the charts that go with each class(we are departmentalized) I make a note that indicates the child loses recess time due to the pink slip. All of our team teachers know what this means and its across the board for our grade. For each pink slip received in a day, the student misses 5 minutes of recess, which is at the end of the day. That's where the chart comes in handy. And its very easy to refer to those pink slips at conferences because they are filled out BY the student...Ive had parents insist their child has done all of the homework and I have lost it- once they see the pink slips, they change their tune pretty quickly. Oh -and if a student receives 2 or more pink slips in a week, a phone call home is made. It works quite nicely for us.

11. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I do weekly reports home to parents, which increased homework exponentially.
    I also do Homeworkopoly, and the kids loved it! It reduced my treasure box costs because all of the rewards are priviliges in the classroom that don't cost me a thing!

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I do weekly folders also. I decided last year that once a week notice isn't enough for some of them, so I made labels that say "Nuts! I missed an assignment" which I am going to stick in their assingment notebook in the morning when the students hand things in.

[​IMG]

Generally, I don't have huge problems with homework not being turned in. The kids who don't do it, just don't do it; I have had students who don't respond to any reward or consequence!

13. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I totally agree. There are some kids that never do it! It seems that the parents have so little follow through and tend to make a lot of excuses.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2009

Last year I had H.A.M. forms. It had a picture of a ham. H.A.M. stands for Homework Assignment Missing. I'd fill it out with the date & missing assignment. It was then sent home. If the homework was not turned in the next day, there was no recess until it was turned in. I also put a note in their planner that was signed nightly.

15. phobson

phobson Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

If you're going to take the time to analyze your homework policy, you should put some of that energy into analyzing why you need to have a homework policy. The research isn't there to back it up (in the elementary grades) and accepting a broken system and punishing those who lack the skills/support to complete it (memory deficits, working parents) is a an injustice to say the least.

16. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Aug 14, 2009

We are encouraged not to do homework because a lot of parents now can't help our kids at home.

17. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I have done a sheet of paper like yours Ms. Jasztal and it did not work as well as I would have hoped. There were many times they did not bring it back, forged it, or the parents just didn't care. They would sign the slip and the work would still not be done.

I did do Homeworkopoly and for the most part it worked. I am thinking about doing it again but I am not sure yet.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 17, 2009

Any other thoughts? I am intimidated by this a little because taking away recess has not worked for a few coming up to fourth grade (though I don't do that, anyway).

19. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I used pink slips my first two years of teaching, but I would require the slips to be signed and retuned. But, of course, I found that the students that didnt complete their homework, often didnt return their pink slips, either. I've also used sheets similar to the "H.A.M." idea mentioned above, but ran into the same problem. I tried Homeworkopoly last year, but I found it difficult to manage. Most students enjoyed it, but I didnt!

I think I will use a combo of the pink slips and HAM sheets this year. I like the idea of having the students complete the pink slips and keeping them filed away in school, but I also think it's important for the parent to be notified (which is where the HAM sheets will come into play.)

I'd love to hear about others experiences with Homeworkopoly.