How do you read in guided reading?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by glitterfish, Feb 14, 2010.

?

During Leveled Small Group Guided Reading, How is the Text Read?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2010.
  1. all students read text silently

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. all students whisper read the text

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. single student takes turns reading aloud at one time (round robin)

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. teacher reads aloud and students follow along and/or echo read

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. students partner read

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. all students read text aloud (choral read)

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  7. other method (please share)

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

When (if) you do guided reading with your students in a small leveled group, how is the text itself read? When you answer, I would love to hear the WHY for your method.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

Glitterfish, I clicked three methods (thanks for the multiple response option!). I sometimes start with round robin for one page each, then move to whisper read. With my higher groups I might use silent read then do some comprehension discussion.

The reason for my methods is primarily based on the amount of time any child would have to wait for hte others to finish. In round robin, everyone stays together. This works when they are pretty evenly matched in fluency. Whisper read lets them read a bit faster while I still get to hear them for accuracy. Read to self is used when I have a group of readers I want to work on comprehension with, but who are fluent and accurate already.

Hth!

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

I teach K and do NOT pull groups - rather I pull one student at a time. Depending on the child, I do a VARIETY of things...

5. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Feb 14, 2010

I also checked round robin, but it's not quite round robin. I don't pick students, the students pick each other. The only rule is that they have to read at least 1 sentence, but they can choose to read more. My students beg for this as opposed to choral or whisper reading. However, we only do "popcorn" reading on repeated readings. My high groups are the only ones that do silent reading.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

For my low students I have them read out loud so that I can correct any reading errors and model fluency. These kids are at least 2 years below grade level. My other students can read to themselves. We work on whatever the objective is for the week.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

We start by following along with the cd or I read the chapters aloud. Students then reread those chapters silently to themselves or aloud with a partner. During the time we spend with each chapter group the students will read silently at least 4 times and with a partner at least 3 times.

8. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Feb 14, 2010

Other- all students are reading aloud, but they are reading different texts at their level. I pull strategy groups (CAFE) instead of traditional guided reading groups.

9. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Feb 14, 2010

I have been trying an alternate method from a colleague. It's hard to explain and will probably sound crazy...but when I saw it in action I needed to try it. The kids in my group (5) are all at different levels, so they all have a differently leveled book. We have a process. When they get the new book, they do a picture walk and make predictions. Then they begin reading in just above a whisper voice. I listen to them read as they're all reading, but I zero in on one kid at a time and listen to them and do a fluency timing on them. We have a very short conversation about the story and/or strategies, etc. I move on to the next kiddo. After they're done they have a comp. journal they work on. I have folders w/ each kid's stuff in them and a data sheet on the front where I keep track of their level, fluency info, etc. Sounds crazy, but seems to keep them engaged and responsible for their own reading.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 14, 2010

I do choral reading in my groups-with the younger ones, even though they are generally on the same level in a group, sometimes they stumble and I don't want them to get self-conscious. Most of what we read is predictable so they can all usually participate.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 14, 2010

Other: usually first day the students read silently, and I tap the table to have student read aloud for evaluation. Occasionally I sit near the child to talk about the text he/she is reading. Later in the week, I will read aloud with them, pull phrases to choral read, etc. I also do guided writing on the third day ( I meet with each group 4 days a week)

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 14, 2010

I do round robin, only because it allows the children to model for one another. I can praise a student for demonstrating a certain skill, which encourages others to try. They can also problem solve together and we can discuss the text as we go.

13. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

I do mostly whisper reading. However, I might do some round robin after I introduce a new strategy. I'll say "Let's listen as M-- reads and see if they......."

14. MissR

MissR Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

We do NLC (National Literacy Coalition) Guided Reading. So, we read one book for two days. The first day (for the lower decoding stages) we echo read the book, the second day we choral read and then one child reads the whole book for everyone. For higher stages we round robin read and sometimes all whisper read. Usually the first day is one kind of reading and the second day is a different kind. For that reason, I checked off 4 of your options: echo, whisper, choral and round robin. Although one group will probably only do two of those within a two day span. I prefer round robin over whisper, because I don't have to split my attention and I can more easily give prompts if they get stuck or talk about a strategy they used.

15. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 15, 2010

Thanks for everyone's responses! It's very interesting to hear about the variety of techniques. As for myself, I rarely do round-robin reading. My reasoning for this is that only one child is really reading and it seems like a waste of time for the others (though I appreciate how some of you have mentioned that they use this technique in variety of unique ways.) In the past, I've done a lot of silent reading. However, I'm trying more whisper reading now to hold the kids more accountable. The one thing I don't like about both of these techniques (silent and whisper) is that I find it more difficult to discuss the book along the way. I occasionally do choral reading or echo reading, but find this can get tedious for the whole book, depending on the level.

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2010

Generally the children whisper read the story and I listen in. Many times they use whisper phones which are a big motivator and really helps with fluency. With my higher more fluent readers, often they read to themselves and I listen in to monitor.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 16, 2010

Sorry, I didn't realize you could check multiple and I clicked "other." :/

On a typical day I do:
    all students read text aloud (choral read) familiar book
    all students whisper read the text new book
    students partner read new book

I sometimes do the following:
    single student takes turns reading aloud at one time (round robin) I do this with a new book instead of whisper reading if a group is really small, like 1 or 2 students.
    teacher reads aloud and students follow along and/or echo read I do this if they had a difficult time with whisper reading. (I.e. I chose a book that was too difficult.)

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2010

wow - I was surprised to see so many teachers using round robin. That is interesting.

My kids usually do whisper reading while I zone in on each child. Sometimes I model the book if its a little more difficult.

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2010

I think there is a huge difference between round robin with a class of 27 students and a group of 4.

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 17, 2010

Depends on grade and level. I encourage whisper reading to self, then I have them read on at a time to me. If I am having elbow buddies read I listen to the pair taking turn. I do echo reading only with my lower levels who need fluency practice. I allow students to partner read when reading at least one day a week. With my proficient readers, I've had them silently read and walk around and listen to each student read one page (chapter books). I then have a comprehension discussion ---I switched to this and for my groups it works better than a "popcorn" robin (students chosen randomly)

21. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Feb 17, 2010

Mine whisper read at their own pace. They know to keep reading until I say to stop. This is so that I can see what strategies they are using (or not using!). For my highest group I let them read silently and tap them one at a time to whisper read to me.

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 17, 2010

My kids don't know how to silently read yet and I've been thinking I need to teach that.

I let them "whisper" read (it's not really whisper in sign language) when I want them to read a familar book and it is familiar enough that we are working more on fluency than lessons. I let them whisper read when I want a child to read a familiar book for fluency practice and warm up while I test another child (running record).

I am starting a partner read tomorrow for familiar books, to start teaching how to help each other better (though they do that during lessons somewhat) and so I can monitor how several groups (at the same time) select their book, interact with the text and others in a more casual setting and what strategies they use and how they help each other. I don't do this kind of "book introduction" often.

I do round robin to save time and it helps them help each other. I only have 2 kids per group so I hesitate calling it round robin but it is not the same as partner read.

I do echo reading for a few pages if a child is just beginning reading, struggling with how the sentences/text are structured, etc. I do not do this for the entire book. It is to help them understand the structure better.

23. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2010

With a new book, we sit in a circle, books on the floor in front of us and choral read each word, sounding out each cvc word and reading the hf words. The next day we partner read the same book. I try and pair the students high/low. The third day we round robin read, in groups, such as "red team read the next sentence". Each team has only 4 students. I pull students during UA time who are struggling. This is an interesting thread. I may teach 1st next year so am trying to absorb everything I can about teaching kids to read! :love:

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

I teach using Daily 5 and CAFE.
    I do not pull leveled groups but instead which strategy students are working on...often one on one.