How do you read a story as a whole class?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by ThirdGradeLions, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ThirdGradeLions

ThirdGradeLions Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I have been going to several workshops and in almost all of them they say we should be getting away from the idea where the students go around the room and read one paragraph/page at a time. What ways do you have to break up this boring way to read an entire story out loud as a class? I am currently drawing sticks out of a cup with student names on them, just so they don't know when they are up and have to be following along. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

3. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

I do a lot of choral reading. Sometimes I get volunteers to read but I never had kids read who don't want to. It's so stressful if they aren't confident in their reading skills.

When I'm reading for science or socials I will often read and then have them repeat what I just read.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

I'm starting to read more myself from the science and social studies books especially. I check to see that students are following along and ask a lot of questions. I find that my struggling readers feel very shaky reading aloud and it is hard for the average to better readers to pay attention while the struggling ones sound out words. So much meaning gets lost that way.

I do ask students to read captions though as they are often short and easier to read/comprehend.

Our basal story has a CD that reads the story. I play this on Monday to give the kids a preview and we discuss a few themes/genre/point of view, etc. Then throughout the week we do choral reading, partner reading and silent reading with it.

5. ThirdGradeLions

ThirdGradeLions Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

Thank you for the ideas! My Reading anthology also comes with CD's with all the stories on them. I might give that a try for something different! :)

6. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Sep 8, 2009

We do popcorn reading.
    You start reading and then randomly(even in the middle of the sentence) call a students name, then they have to pick up exactly where you left off. Then they read about a paragraph or so and call another student, so on. This is a really good way of making sure every single person is paying close attention

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2009

I did popcorn reading last year; I had a group that enjoyed reading aloud and I didn't really have any reluctant ones. My low ones were usually the most eager to volunteer. I did have a few that didn't always like to pay attention, so sometimes we turned it into a game--usually boys vs. girls. They would call on another student, and if the person didn't know where they were, the other team got a point. But, I don't know if that would really work with another group.

8. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

I tried popcorn reading for the first time today and the kids seemed to enjoy it. I noticed a lot more of them were following along and the ones who weren't were certainly embarrassed.

Thanks for the advice! I even had a few students ask if we could do this again tomorrow.

9. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 9, 2009

I have tried strategies such as reading aloud to the class but then pausing at various parts of the text and having all the students read the word I missed aloud. I also do the same thing, but tap a child's shoulder as I'm reading. That student must say the word that I paused at. This holds them accountable for following along. I also do a lot of pausing throughout the reading and telling the students to "turn to your partner and..." The students usually discuss some type of comprehension question. I randomly call on students to share what they discussed.

10. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 13, 2009

I do many of the techniques shared above. Here are some others, too:
    - flip/flop choral reading - boys/girls, even/odd (they all have a #), AR comprehension groups (switch every paragraph or every sentence)
    - finish-it-for-me choral reading - I start and pause midway through the sentence or paragraph and they finish it for me
    - partner reading (count off as 1s and 2s at own seats, just partner w/ neighbor) paragraph swap or sentence swap/flip flop
    - choral reading - stand for verb/subject/predicate/proper nouns/time order words/etc.
    - crazy professor reading (see Power Teaching)
    - sticky-note reading - read silently and use your sticky note to find where....happens
    - magic wand reading - reader taps the "magic paying attention wand" and reads, then taps when wants someone else to read
    - partner retells - 1s/2s again, this time one reads, then the other retells what was read. S/he reads and the other retells, etc.
    - select one pair or small group to read the selection into a tape player, then listen to it as a review the day before the test
    - read it to their 1st grade reading buddies
    - rewrite selection as a readers' theater and read as such

There are tons of techniques to engage readers! Have fun experimenting w/ your group!

11. scgatorgirl

scgatorgirl Rookie

Sep 13, 2009

I randomly call on students from around the room. If they aren't following along (like I can tell they've totally stopped paying attention), they get a warning and then have to move their card. After a week or two of school, they follow along very well! :)
    To break away from this routine, I do different things on different days of the week. One day might be the popcorn reading, and the next might be partner read (one person reads the pages on the left and the other reads the pages on the right). The partner reading needs to be carefully monitored so as to be sure they are staying where they should and not stopping to talk. I also let them do some silent reading on the floor around the room (change of scenery) and then at the end of a three-page set ask class questions.

12. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Sep 15, 2009

I will popcorn read with it being their choice to read 1 sentence up to the entire page. Pulling sticks could be done the same way. I have to be aware of my ELLs though so I try to tell them where I will be asking them to read so that they are prepared and have a chance to practice. Then I will popcorn to them for that sentence, section, etc.