How do you protect your books?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Jan 20, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

I have some books that are paper back picture books and used multiple times per day. I am worried they won't last very long. How do you protect your classroom books?

Also, how do you store your books that have books on tape that go along with it?

3. alpha1123

alpha1123 Rookie

Jan 20, 2008

I am student teaching right now. My CT (I am in first grade) covers all of her paperback books with clear contact paper to protect them, since some of the students are a little rough with them. She also has them sign them out so that she knows exactly who has her books at all times.

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

At the beginning of the school year, I have several mini-lessons in Reader's Workshop dedicated to how to take care of books. I model it, the students model it, we do it together. I also took a hint from Debbie Miller and created a "Book Hospital" in my library where student splace books that need to be mended.

In my listening center, I have a large ziplock bag where the books and tapes are kept. :)

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 20, 2008

I do exactly what corps does! :)

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

I have taught the students to handle books and they do a great job with it. It is just that paperback picture books don't seem to me that they would last long if they are used about 5 periods a day just about every day (the kids read when they are done with work).

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

corps...I love the book hospital idea....can you tell us more about it?!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 20, 2008

Some of the teachers I have worked with get books from the school library to place in the book/library center. They are library bound editions, have hard covers, and are meant to be handled by the children. I honestly haven't had too many problems with books. The kids are very good with the books and I don't let all of my books go to the library center. I also make sure not to spend a lot on books that are meant for the library center just in case they are damaged.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 20, 2008

I cover with contact paper--I buy it from Classroom Direct (over $30 a roll--big roll will last a while). It is heavier than what I get at walmart.

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

Book Hospital

I have a watermelon shaped basket in the library. Anytime a student finds a book in need for medical attention (i.e. tore page, cover is coming off, etc.), they place it in the basket. For a torn page, they put a sticky note on the front of the book indicating the torn page.)

My librarian let's me know if there are books in there that need mending. All I have to do is fix them :p

You could also get a white basket and put a red cross on there :) The watermelon fits my theme.

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

How cute! I may have to copy your idea!

12. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 20, 2008

:D I copied it from Debbie Miller's book on literacy centers. She briefly mentioned how one teacher she observed had a book hospital. :)

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2008

For paperbacks, I use clear packing tape to reinforce the binding and edges of the covers. I can't say how effective it is because I haven't been in business very long... but it looks sturdy :)

14. lolipops

lolipops Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Students - I have three painted yardsticks that are hanging vertically on the wall in my reading/listening center. I attached clothespins and hang the books/tapes individually in zip-lock bags. I am able to store 21 books that way. As a plus it looks great and all the books face out, making it easier for the kids to choose on their own. (These are normally rotated depending on themes and interest.)

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

i use 3M book tape and its great for fixing and reinforcing.

You can also order almost any book through permabound or everbind. If its not in their catalog, usually they will track it down for you. It costs a little more but its a pretty cool deal. if you use it several times a day it might be a good idea.

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2008

I get my books from library used book sales for 5 cents so I would rather not pay more for Permabound but that is a super idea and I do try to pick up the Permabound books at the book sales.

I just have some super good books I got there I wish to preserve (like half of the Magic School bus books).

17. arobins

arobins Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

Paper back books are not as sturdy as hardback, but they are much easier to pack in backpacks if you allow your students to check them out and take them home. I gues it is like many things in life, they have their advantages and disadvantages. What wonderful ideas on taking care of them. Giving them medical attention, how darling.

I store my books in a book surrounded by tissue to keep them from slipping around when being carried.

18. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008

Sounds like a fantastic idea! Now only to find yardsticks. Our school has plastic, not the solid wood kind.