How do you present vocabulary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Sep 27, 2013.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Sep 27, 2013

I teach a foreign language. I was curious about how other language teachers taught or presented vocabulary. I like to use powerpoint and have students memorize the vocab as they manipulate the words in class activities.

Thanks!

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 27, 2013

When I took Spanish in high school, new vocab was introduced using "mini cuentos" (stories). They were short comics in which the characters used the new vocab words, and the words with translation were at the top of the paper. The stories were often funny or improbable. I really liked them.

4. dave1mo

dave1mo Comrade

Sep 28, 2013

We are reading Freakonomics right now. Before we read the chapter, my co-teacher and I give the kids the list of 10-15 words and definitions in a matching activity. We also split up the words/definitions into two sections, so students are only trying to match 5-6 words to 5-6 definitions. We then give the students the paragraphs from which the words were taken, and ask them to do their best to match words/definitions using the context of the paragraph. The first group to get them all right without use of phones/dictionaries wins a prize (usually a Jolly Rancher, because for some reason they go crazy for them). We get in cooperative learning with a facade of cooperation to keep the kids interested, use of context clears to make predictions of definitions of unknown words, and practice with the words that doesn't immediately require rote learning.

It seems to be going well, as student reading levels in this unit have improved significantly over just 4-5 weeks.

5. fraudelong

fraudelong Rookie

Sep 28, 2013

I use PowerPoint to show a picture of the word and make the kids say the word several times, then I show the word in German. I say the English, but never write the English.

6. Tim89

Tim89 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013

Yes, I think illustration is the best way to teach them vocabulary.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

I think that TPR is an excellent way to present vocabulary, especially in vocabulary-heavy classes like foreign language. I don't really do TPR because 1) I don't really have the energy for it, and 2) a lot of the words in my foreign language are pretty abstract and/or violent, so it's hard to come up with appropriate gestures and movements.

My students' first exposure to new vocab is in written form. They get the word in the target language and its English equivalent. I have students write these down and make flashcards (either paper or using an app on their phones). After that, we go through the words aloud, and I have students repeat after me several times. I spend more time on the written words than on saying them aloud. My language is primarily written, not spoken, so it makes more sense for my students to have a better visual understanding of the words rather than an auditory understanding, if that makes sense.

8. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013

Caesar753, what is your language? Thanks again for your input!