How do you prepare for conferences?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 3, 2016

My attention is wavering as I finish setting up for conferences this afternoon, and I'd like to know how everyone else gets their conference material.

I tend to have a few select pieces demonstrating the students' work... plus my binders of data and observations.

It's fairly no-fuss, most of the work devoted to putting the kids' stuff in order.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Mar 3, 2016

Same here. I have the kids make little folders that have worked displayed on the outside and inside. I then add any DIBELS data, my 1x1 testing results (I teach kinder), a writing sample, report card and anything else I want to address. It's very basic and straightforward. Spring conferences tend to go much easier this fall conferences.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2016

Work samples- mostly for writing
    Test scores
    Reading conference notes

My conferences last about 15 minutes. I know my kids well enough to speak about them but having the above for each student's parents to see helps guide the discussion.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Mar 5, 2016

We're departmentalized - about 70 4th graders - and we were all able to speak on each student with ease. We shared scores and observations. No fuss, lasted about 10-15 minutes.

6. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Mar 6, 2016

I prep all of my data (AimsWeb, STAR, etc) and tend to lead with that, focusing on student growth. We also go over recent lessons and upcoming needs both in and out of the classroom. In addition we go over whatever the office would like us to (policy changes, announcements, etc) The first conferences at the beginning of the year were 15 minutes, these last ones we had took about 5 minutes or so each.

Frequent communication with parents between conferences is, I think the key to a successful conference when the time comes.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2016

This, I believe, is so important.