How do you plan for guided reading groups?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 9, 2006

Last year I started midyear, had little experience with teaching guided reading groups with a whole class full of kids, and I just chose books at their levels and did lessons, not really keeping plans or anything. This year I think I want to keep plans of my guided reading lessons, if anything just have a format and check off things we will do each lesson, or a fill in the blank page for each book we do, nothing fancy and time consuming. I'll have about five groups, and then a kid who is about a year ahead. Please share how you plan your guided reading group lessons! Thanks.

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Sep 9, 2006

I don't really write up lesson plans for reading groups either - mainly I have a separate page I keep (in addition to my plan book) with the days of the week, and which group I'm meeting with. I want to make sure I meet with the lowest groups almost daily and the higher groups maybe 2-3 times during the week. On that sheet, I'll list the schedule and what we're doing that day - but it's very high level.

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

We are required to keep a Guided Reading Notebook that contains;students in each group, their level, and when we meet with each group, lesson plans (familar re-reading, who we did a running record with, word work, and new book we read), and a section for each student that contains their running records. The book may be checked at any time by our principal, and they observe one lesson a month, so I definitely keep on schedule, keep my running records scored and analyzed, and have my plans written each week!

5. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I write up my lesson plans for all of my guided reading groups. What grade do you teach? I teach guided reading for both 1st and 2nd grade. I'm a Title 1 teacher.

I also then have a box that holds all of their folders, books, and my own folder that has what we are going to be doing.

W have guided reading only 30 mins this year, because of the darn schedule. My plan is reading a book at least twice (2nd grade) and a book for a whole week (1st grade). I also then teach different things with my group based off their standards and benchmarks.

We have guided reading everyday with the same group. In first grade, there are 4 teachers (2 first grade teachers and 2 Title teachers). In 2nd grade there are 6 teachers (sped teacher, 2 title teachers, and 3 2nd grade teachers). We don't do centers so our program is alittle different what is usually guided reading. This is the way they have always done it at my school. I'm in my second year there.

6. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

Would anyone care to share their record keeping sheet. I'm starting GR too! Thanks.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 9, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I teach first grade.

I'd like to see copies of any forms you guys use for your lesson plans if they are available! Thanks.

8. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 12, 2006

I would love to see that info, too! I'm teaching first grade for the first time, so any help with guided reading would be greatly appreciated!

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 12, 2006

i can scan these, but it won't be until this weekend. hopefully i remember. email me if you really would like this. i'll email it to you!

10. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I would too!

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2006

I use a notebook as well. It just has a little page in it. I write the group down, book and level, focus and word work skill. Sometimes I jot down something they need to work on or something that went well. It takes me 10 sec. I do it after the group has left and before the next one arrives. I see 2-3 groups per day and have only 5 groups total. I see the lowest group every single day! It gets old sometimes seeing them so much but they need it.

12. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 13, 2006

I've already sent my forms to a few other posters. If anyone would like to see my forms, PM me and I'll send them to your e-mail.

13. hfinley

hfinley Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

We use the Scott Foresman program in our reading groups. When the students come to the reading table, we go over the previously assigned worksheets. Then I assign the next three pages for them to complete at their desk during "wild cat work" Then, we read the story from the day before, then read a new story. This takes about 20 mintutes for each group (4 groups) I also assign the story we read for nightly homework. This way each story is read 3 times each. I also have these stories on audio tapes and put them in my listening center. That is each story up to 4 times. I think it's great for fluency.

14. teachertwo

teachertwo New Member

Sep 16, 2006

txtchr29, I would like a copy of your forms too. I tried to pm you but maybe because I just registered and this is my first post, it didn't work. Could you PM them to me?

15. Norefund89

Norefund89 New Member

Sep 29, 2006

TXTCHR29... I have the same problem as the previous post! I tried to PM you but wasn't able to. Would you be able to PM me your forms. I teach first grade and I have an observation on Monday of my GR groups!

16. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 30, 2006

I really need help with guided reading, too. I'm a new 2nd grade teacher. I meet with 3 different groups a week during quiet reading time, which we have every day. The other 2 days, I read with individual students. I also have centers twice a week, and during that time, I meet with all of the kids in the class once a week. (3 groups on each centers day.)
    But, the reading recovery teacher said she wants me to meet with my 5 low kids every day! I said I don't have enough hours in the day. How do you meet with low readers every day?! I don't understand how to organize my day to accomplish this, but I know they need it. Every day there is a special (at least 30 minutes) AND foreign language for 40 minutes, plus we have a half day every Friday. HELP! (Thanks. :confused: )

17. Carla

Carla Companion

Oct 1, 2006

My form is really simple. I have to alter it this year to fit our standards based classroom model. But, I have one for each level....early reader, transitional........and so forth. Can I post it somewhere where everyone can see it rather than mail it to everyone? My record keeping system consists of mailing labels. 30 to a page. I number them 1-28. When I conference with a student I put my notes on their numbered label. This way, I know whom I have conferenced with and whom I haven't. After I have conferenced with that child I take the label and put it in a big binder with tabs for each student and blank pages behind it.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

Carla, I'll PM you with my email address... if you email it to me, I can post it for you. Or, you can upload it to a web page and post the link. :)

19. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Oct 1, 2006

that would be great....I'd love to have it as well.