How do you pair up students for centers/groups?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

Do you have partnerships? Groups? Do partnerships meet together to form groups?

I have partners who form together to make groups, and each group has a team leader who is accountable to me. It works really well. :)

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Randomly

My kids never know how I am going to group them. If I have even seating arrangements I might group them that way. A lot of times I will have them line up in a circle ( on the outside edge of their desks) by ABC order, or tallest to shortest. Then I might number them off, count by twos, parnter from opposite ends, matching colors in their shirts, sometimes I just come up with a funny way to group them like "Johnny wears glasses" and "Suzie said her eyes hurt" so they are partners today...

The kids groan sometimes but I explain to them that sometimes they get to pick their partners but if they want the best grade they can get, that their best friend may not be the best help for this type of grouping.

4. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Jul 25, 2009

for reading groups-they are grouped by ability. Each ability group is then sorted out into pairs for workstations.

for any other groups-I use the random group sorter from Smart Tech.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I will group based on reading levels.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

What is that?

In reading, I do group by ability- and skills where the kids need to work with the most. I analyze data (strands of strength and areas in which they need to improve) from third grade and the first month of school, and I also think of who can compliment one another well.