How do you organize your students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BarnyardCats, Jul 17, 2007.

1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

The past two years, I gave the students a little basket from the Dollar Tree to store pencils, a marker, a pen, dry erase marker, etc. They were getting worn out looking so I had them take them home in May. Now, I'm wondering if I should buy more baskets again for this, use something else, or just urge them to keep these items within easy reach inside their desk. I like the idea of having these things at their fingertips in a basket, but I also like the look of cleaned off desks. How do you allow the kids to have easy access to these items in your room? Thanks!:)

3. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

my plan is this:

Desks will be set up into pods (4-5 students in a pod).

In the center of the pod will be 2 letter files (stacked). Bottom for ruled looseleaf paper and the top for unfinished work.

Pencils will be stored in a container (I'm not sure what yet-I'm hoping Target will come out with some more pails in the $1 section) on each pod.

I purchased 25 pencil boxes from Home Depot this week (5 in 5 colors). The boxes will have a pod set of crayons (in one box), markers, scissors, glue... These are stored on the bottom shelf of a 2 shelf bookcase I have in the back of the room.

On top of the shelf is a student use stapler, tape dispenser and hole punch. I'll also have a container of golf pencils here (no pencil sharpening done by students).

The bottom shelf has construction paper and other papers we use frequently in class so that supply managers can get them when needed.

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

I like this idea. I have the students in pods too. I purchased cute little baskets from the Dollar Store. Inside the baskets I keep dry erase markers, red grading pens, sponge erasers, and highlighters. The rest of the supplies are keep in the student supply closet. We don't use crayons and such daily. It is easier for them to get them when needed. Do you have individual desks, or tables?

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

"HOw do you organize your students?"

I like to do it by height and weight... hahahaha. sorry couldn't resist

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

how do you stop students from fidgeting or playing with the supplies on the table?

7. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I tried to have a basket with stapler, a tape dispenser, and some post-its on the three sides of the U in my classroom. The kids did nothing but play with the staplers and the tape, even though I called them on it every time. I finally took them off the tables and passed them out when needed. Apparently, seventh graders can't handle having supplies within arm's reach.

8. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Individual desks. I haden't thought about dry erase items-those will most likely go on the shelf somewhere for supply managers to get also.

9. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Our pod supplies are part of my classroom procedures (I make up a book for each student w/all the procedures and a ppt. that we go over the first week).

Drill and practice has worked before-that and the promise that if you can't handle it they'll be taken away from your pod.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I have a three compartment container at each table. The compartments hold pencils, erasers and a pencil sharpener. We work very hard at the beginning of the year on not playing and touching the things inside unless needed.

Each table group has a color, so I use this for getting work, dismissal etc. Next year, each student at the table will have a number 1-4, which will also be part of getting work, passing out work, getting supplies and clean up jobs at the end of the day. I like this. I can call them by group color or by their numbers to mix them up more. I also use popsicle sticks with their names on them for random drawings. The kids also each have a clothes pin with their name on it. If they need my help and I am in a conference with another child or working with someone one-on-one, they get their clothes pin and set it near me. I will clip it on my shirt and call them next.

As for other supplies, they are centralized in locations around the room, for example, pens, glue, scissors, colored pencils, etc. are in the art area. I have enough containers, that if we are doing a project, each table group can have one.

Journals, notebooks and other things like that in the past were stored in that area of the room. The reading journals and reading supplies (extra reading logs, contracts, etc) were stored on 1 shelf in the library, math folders and notebooks on a shelf in the math area, etc.

Next year, each table group will have a crate and their things will be stored in the crate. The crates will be spread around the room. I might say, "#1's, please get the reading response journals for your table group." Only 4 kids will have to get up and get the things. I am hoping this will be a good management system.

I organize lists of students by first name alphabetically.
    They have a studnet file in a class file box, and a portfolio we keep for their best work. That's all I can think of about organization right now!

http://www.storables.com/Shop/Bath/Cosmetic-Organizers/?launch_pg=itemPage&launch_sel=1001855

This is similar, but more expensive. I bought mine at storables and they have a 25% teacher discount in August and September.