How do you organize your ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katenar, Jul 19, 2008.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

I'm trying to organize all my ideas that I want to do next year and am trying to figure out how I can do this. I have a spiral notebook and I'm writing them in there. I'm thinking it would be easier if I broke them up into topics. This is what I have so far:

• Bulletin Boards
    • Special Projects
    • Field Trips
    • Art Projects

How do you organize your ideas? I always find so many great ones on this forum and I want a book that when I'm setting up my classroom and planning that I can easily see what I wanted to do.

3. mrsfroggey

mrsfroggey Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

I personally have been keeping a folder on my computer where I have been putting all of the things I want for next year. If is ideas, I type them up into word, I also save worksheets, or websites that have stuff I want for next year.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

I use my computer to especially Microsoft Outlook. There are things called tasks where I include all the things that I want to do. I also send things (ideas,copies,websites) to my email at school and put them in a special folder titled beginning of year

5. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

I use a binder. I bought some dividers and labeled them with each of my subjects, then classroom management, classroom appearence, study trips, special projects...I can't remember what else.

I just keep a few sheets of lined paper in there to jot notes down and just hole punch things or use page protectors as needed.

6. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I have been copy and pasting ideas from websites (or my own brain) into Word documents. I have bolded/underlined sections for whatever I want I recently printed it all out (40 pages!) and put it in a binder with some other resources I have.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 19, 2008

I like to organize ideas by 9 weeks and then sub headings. I know we won't start word families until after January, so I put word family stuff in the 3rd nine weeks, then under language arts, if it goes with a specific theme, I put it in a theme folder, then the subject folder.
    So it would look like this:
    (#) Nine weeks
    Theme or general subject
    (subject/what it is if it is in a theme folder)
    Be sure to name it well too!

If you don't know which nine weeks or the themes you will teach, I would still organize by theme as much as possible because it will be much more manageable and useful.

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

I think what I need is another teacher who is super organized with their teaching resources to come in and help me organize mine. I look organized on the outside but really underneath it all......not so much. :rolleyes:

You know we always post pictures of our classrooms but what I really want to see is the pictures of everyones binders and file cabinets.

I have an offer - someone come organize my stuff and I'll design you a webpage or something! :lol:

9. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

That's what I do too. I used to do it by theme and it just took too long.

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

I literally have a room full of resources, notes, files, binders, etc...I've attempted many systems, still, I have none. This was one of my summer projects. I started, but then got overwhelmed and decided to step back and think about it.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I have my Word documents organized into areas such as:

Reading--cause and effect
    Math--simplifying fractions
    Writing--narrative writing prompts
    Bulletin board ideas
    Brainstorms
    Power Teaching
    photographs for Earth Science

I cut and paste, usually, or type in ideas. I open and look at what I've got when I need something.

Works for me!

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

My problem is that so many things seem to overlap that I'm not sure how to categorize them.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2008

That's my excuse....ahem...I mean problem.

14. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

I've been so overwhelmed with all the ideas too! but I've recently decided on a system that is working - file folders! I have one for beginning of the year, center ideas, bulletin board ideas, conduct, etc.

As I come across an idea, I jot it down on a scrap piece of paper (I recycle paper by writing on the backs - I have a paper cutter that I cut paper into 4-squares to write short notes on that I keep by my computer)

Like right now I'm (WAS.....lol) looking up ideas for the first day of school "ice breaker" activities - as I find one I like, I jot it on a piece of paper and I'm going to file it in my "first day of school" file.

I've also been printing off everything I have (worksheets/lesson plans) off the computer (I have 2 at home, and then the one at school), because I never seem to be AT the right computer when I need the info, or I have FORGOTTEN what I have saved, so I end up just doing a search for things anyway via google.

15. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

When this happens to me, I make 2 copies (or however many categories it seems to fit into) and file them in those multiple files.

For example (albeit a very WEAK one).....if something can be used for a science topic AND a reading comprehension topic, I will make 2 copies (well, I'll make ONE copy, thus giving me TWO copies) file it where it goes in science (let's say a paragraph about living and non-living things) so I'll file it in my "Living and Non-Living" file and also my "Reading Comprehension" file. :)

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2008

I put things in files like sherri does. I just pull the folder when planning, and these ideas I'd forgotten about from five years ago are still there waiting on me. ;o)

I will cross reference things also if needed. It makes for a longer trip to the copy machine, but makes for better files...

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

There are some super ideas here. I am planning to use binders and tabs for each of our (newly changing) state standards, classroom mgmt., etc.

18. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

I have to admit I am organized and can not stand it if I am not. I have file cabinets very neat and organized with each child a folder, each objective has a folder, etc. My resource binders are laid out by objectives, tests, and homework, handouts etc.. If I need to find something it is very easy to find. I have to much on my plate with at least 145 students not to be organized. I use a smart board and so my jump drive has objective folders with everything I need in them. My notes are on PDF to load easily on the smart board they are colorful bright and will keep the 8th graders wanting more. My tests have also been completed with each objective as well as handouts, and homework. If you get organized you can easily stay that way with 5 to 10 min. a day.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2008

Oh, I do use binders too for my reading materials. I have a required basal that I use and each story has a divider with the extra items/worksheets/ideas (that are also in my file folders by objective) to use to teach the objective for that story so when I go to the copy machine, it's all there. I had to have a substitute for three weeks and it was impossible to get up to the school to write lesson plans (my husband was dying) and the binder was invaluable in keeping my kids on target when I wasn't there.

20. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I have always done lists in the past, but am now doing one with the FlyLady Teacher Control Journal. There's a thread here on the boards with more info about it.

21. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

I was thinking of doing this but I realized that my files/binders are way too stuffed as it is. I can't deal with extra copies of things. So I put a little more thought into each pice as I put it away. I ask myself: At which point in the year am I going to be using this? In which spot will this fit in best? Ex: If I have a word problems sheet that is clearly a fall theme (squirrrels, acorns, leaves) I will put it in the fall section, rather than the addition section.
    Here's my thinking: When fall comes around, I'll pull out the fall folder, see that sheet and say "perfect!". But I won't need that sheet in the spring when I'm looking for any addition worksheet for extra practice.

Sorry, if this makes no sense! bottome line: you'll probably try a few methods until you figure out what fits best for you.

22. Mommyof2xys

Mommyof2xys Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I save lots of items on my computer in word documents and then I have tons of binders that I have made. I also have a pretty organized file cabinet as well.

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

I don't have any system that has worked yet...lol...so I am hoping to try some of your methods! Organization is one area I hope to really improve on this year:)

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Excel document, columns of diff. categories.