How do you organize your computer files?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

I'm on an organizing frenzy. :haha:

How do you organize your computer files? What sorts of folders and subfolders do you have?

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I have two different systems... One is organized by grade level, then subject, then standards. For example, I may have 3rd grade >> Math >> Standard 3.1

Then I have different topics, such as Martin Luther King, electricity, etc. If these get full, I divide them into subtopics.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

I divide by subject, then grade level, then topics.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 8, 2011

I was graciously given a CD with the curriculum that our school uses for the subject I teach. It came with powerpoints, activities, tests, etc. I used the same format for the other subjects now too.

I have folders for each chapter/topic. Then within those folders I have: activities/labs; tests; notes; and videos/animations. There are other main folders alongside the chapters. Those are general folders - attendance sheets, letters to parents, etc. I have a flash drive for each subject I teach (I'm high school).

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

I divide by grade/subject/class. Then within each class, I divide by unit/chapter. Then I divide my chapters into notes, practice sheets, tests, etc...whatever I have for that chapter.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

This made it a little iffy when we switched textbooks because I had to move everything to a new chapter depending on where it was placed in the new book, but not too hard because I pretty much knew where everything was.

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 8, 2011

I have a folder for each class I teach. In those folders, I break it down into major units.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

Similar here--folders for each subject, units within those for most classes. For some classes, though, I have things divided by activity. For example, all of my weekly grammar practice/quizzes are in one folder within my language class.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2011

I'm a minimalist--Subject--subtopics

I could use some organizing help Caesar, if your frenzy continues.

11. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

Mine are divided by subject area and then topic. If necessary, I'll subdivide more.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

Poorly! :lol:

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

Organize, who has time to do that.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 8, 2011

Class-->Unit-->Lesson

15. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2011

You mean you don't have every file in one folder?

16. GrayRoark

GrayRoark Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

One folder in Dropbox. Inside this folder, a resources folder (so I don't duplicate stuff) and a folder for each class.

Dropbox syncs my workstation with my laptop and does a backup of everything.

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 9, 2011

Organizing folders. Wow. That's something I've spent time on. I'll do it one way and decide I like it a different way months later.

I do sort by subjects and then topic, but some things need their own folder. My SMART files get their own folder, as do lesson plans, graphics, assessments, book orders, e-instruction, class projects, professional (such as professional development I teach and my portfolio), behavior, same-gender class information, etc... There are always lots of things that don't fit into Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. We save all of our work to our personal drive (not the computer hard drive), which is backed up every day on the server. We then can have access to it no matter where we are.

I try to clean up my files about once every 3 months or so. At the end of the school year they dump information that is saved to hard drives, so it's very important we save to our personal drive or it will be lost.

18. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I teach two subjects at the HS level. I have a "General" folder with all the miscellaneous odds and ends things. Then I have a folder for each subject divided into units. Within each unit I divide into notes, tests & quizzes and labs.

19. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 10, 2011

As a self contained teacher I don't have different classes to organize by persay.

I have a folder for:
    Parent communication - in this are folders for newsletters, conference forms, copies of notes or emails I've sent to individual parents, general handouts for open houses and conferences

Math - Here I have folders divided for every 10 lessons where I keep SmartBoard files, scanned pages, etc.

Handouts - A general catch-all of resources I collect from the internet, have created, or scanned in. When I feel adventurous I sort these into the subjects they belong with but that doesn't always happen as quickly as it should. I have folders inside of this for each subject including reading which has a folder for each story/unit.

I try to back-up weekly between my usb and computer because I'm terrified of losing the USB (also known as my lifeline).

I try to scan as much as I can a.) it's easier to show on the SmartBoard how to complete an activity or have students show their work than orally I've found and b.) I always lose papers. I love my co-workers but they put a lot of "extra handouts" in my mailbox and those rarely make their way into the correct file unless I take the time to scan them in.

I know I'll thank myself for saving everything digitally if and when I leave this school.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2011

Mine are organized by school year.

Then, inside each school year folder is a folder for each subject matter area (and extra folders for things such as homework & parent newsletters).

Finally, inside each subject matter folder is a file for each CA Content Standard.

This may sound confusing, but everything is so easy to find.

21. sanjeev verma

sanjeev verma New Member

Apr 14, 2011

Organizing files in computer

We have found a solution. We are using Organyze 2.1. It helps you get more from your computer by helping you manage your files, folders and emails more efficiently.

Now finding files is very easy – it doesn’t matter where the files are saved; Organyze finds them in an instant. This is much, much faster than doing a keyword search or manually hunting through folders and sub-folders for files you need.

By retrieving files through labels, Organyze 2.1, organyze.com, also enables you to find important files or emails you may have forgotten about. Also, you spend less time trying to figure out where you might have saved some files.

What’s more, Organyze 2.1 helps you automatically back up all your files and folders online or offline. Also, Organyze also lets you synchronize your folders with another machine. This is useful for those who use the same files at home and at the office or switch between a desktop and laptop or netbook.

No other software allows you to do all this on the Windows desktop.

:)

22. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

I had over 600 files on my old school computer. I was able to save about half of them before the school "updated" the computers. (I had thought I transferred over all of my files on to a flashdrive, but there wasn't a enough room...)

Anyway, now I'm much more organized and everything's backed-up.

Course --> Quarter --> Unit # --> Subject --> Worksheets / Homework / Notes / Assessments / Projects / Other

(If I teach more than one class of the same subject, I give out different tests, essays and projects--therefore, I quickly accumulate files.)