How do you organize your classroom library?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by LifetimeLearner, Aug 6, 2013.

1. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I have maybe 200 books now, and want to keep them organized and pretty.

So, how do you organize your library?

Bins? Shelves? With sticker labels or regular cardstock library checkout system?
    I also found a barcode scanner, cuecat, which seems like it will help with initial organization but not a checkout system.

Help?!

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 6, 2013

I just bought a "Media Tower" on which I will keep my "chapter books" or novels (Magic Treehouse, etc.).
    I organize my other books by level, using bins I purchased at Dollar Tree.

This year, I will be using classroombooksource.com to check books out and in - I've already entered about half of my books! It's a free and (relatively) easy way to track and organize books by any number of ways.

4. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

My books are separated by genre, author, topic, or series. Most of my books have a sticker with the level on it, which is required by my school, but they are not organized by level. I keep my chapter books on a set of large bookshelves. Some are in labeled bins and some are sideways on the shelves with labels on the shelves. My picture books are in labeled bins on another shelf which is separated into fiction and nonfiction sections, and then categorized by genre, author, etc. I got my bins at Dollar Tree too. :)

I've been scanning my books into booksource this summer. Hopefully I'll finish by this time next year! :D

5. janis

janis Companion

Aug 11, 2013

I have crates for guided reading level labeled with the letter (level), for those I don't know the level, I organize by grade level.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 11, 2013

I sorted my books by genre and used super cute genre bin labels from Clutter Free Classroom.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

I have a non-fiction library, a picture book library and a chapter book library. The picture books are by level. The chapter books are by author, series,or genre.

FWIW, I've "reorganized" my library at least 10 times.

8. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Aug 14, 2013

[​IMG]

This is what I've done so far; now I need to sort my books and place in the various bins (and of course label the bins).

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

I worked on this this week and have more work to do!

I have baskets for leveled books (I- R), then I have baskets with labels: non-fiction animals, reader's theater, realistic fiction, poetry, folktales, mystery novels, spooky novels, etc. ect.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

I have it leveled baskets to shop from for reading workshop and look books are organized by author/character/subject depending on how many I have. So I might have Dr. Seuss , pets, Clifford books labeled.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

2 main areas of my library: fiction and nonfiction. Nonfiction is organized into topic bins. Nf is mostly organized by guided reading level...a few author bins, series bins( but series tend to be in the same level so those have a level letter). I have a few non leveled picture book baskets, several genre baskets that tie to units of study.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2013

Pretty! Will that fit ALL your books? 200 books is a good start...are you teaching workshop model or supplementing a basal reading series/offering SSR with these books?

13. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I'm pretty sure it will fit all 200 (I actually have about 185 to be exact) and then there is a huge built-in bookshelf next to the area that is about 1/2 full of teaching materials that I can easily empty out. :)