How do you organize make up work?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, May 28, 2012.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 28, 2012

Hi, all, now that I'm done with my first year (YAY!) I'm trying to set some goals and some things I want to change next year.

One of those things is the fact that I just felt like my make up work was SO disorganized. I had a make up work bin and I would write the students' names on the sheets, paper clip them together, and then put them in the bin. I found that the kids wouldn't pick things up or wouldn't remember to turn them in and then I was forever hunting them down. I also had a hard time getting them to make up quizzes. Some of them just could never seem to come after or before school and I couldn't always give the quizzes during class.

I'm not sure what I want to do differently next year but I know it has to be something! I don't feel like I should be chasing down sophomores to make up work :lol: My biggest problem was probably with the 8th graders and I won't be teaching 8th next year so I'm hoping that will help a bit!

So suggestions? What do you do?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 28, 2012

I make it their responsibility. I teach college-bound seniors, and they need to learn to take charge of their own education--their professors sure won't go chasing after them to make up work.

Do you use an online grading program? I assign a point value to everything, no matter how small, and anything entered as a Missing Assignment gets a zero. If kids check the website often, they know what they're missing.

Tests need to be made up within a week of a student's return to school after an absence. I have a clipboard on which students sign up for a make-up appointment--I've spent too many lunch periods sitting in my room waiting for a kid who never shows up. If they miss the appointment (barring illness), they get a zero.

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 28, 2012

At the college level, we don't give make-up work unless there is a very defined emergency. Students who choose to go to Cancun the week BEFORE or AFTER Spring Break have to take the consequences. If I can drag myself to school with my head exploding from migraine, so can they. And we allow children, as long as they're been taught to behave, so don't tell me about your babysitter, either. Plus, all the city school buses will drop kids off here. Excuses will only make me say feh.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 28, 2012

Mrs. K, do you assign the 0 even if they were absent like say for a quiz? I've thought about doing that as that's what the other English teacher does.

I love the idea of having the students sign up for an appointment. I'll definitely use that next year if you don't mind! It's a great idea!

6. roxstar

roxstar Companion

May 28, 2012

Man did I struggle with this all year. I feel your pain and I can't really say that I have a perfect answer for you. I teach middle school, 6th grade, so they are even more scattered than your sophomores I would presume. I read something in a book this year that I am going to try next year. I am going to have a set of make-up folders in an absent work center area. Inside of these folders will be a copy of my make-up policy (3 days for each day absent etc.) and a blank form for students to list missing assignments. Students will grab a folder when they have been absent and check the calendar for work they missed and write it on the form. I will place any worksheets that they missed in a dated accordion folder (I use very few worksheets) for them to pick up and put in the folder. They are then to see me and sign my log form that shows that they received the work. Students can also decide to make-up any quizzes that day during the warm-up or after school. I might actually put that on the form too. That way they are committing to make up the quiz and they are taking responsibility. Also, it will be a nice record for conferences. Students take the entire folder and return it the same way. I am going to make sure that my policy is crystal clear at the beginning of the year and really enforce it. I want the responsibility to be squarely on their shoulders. It is impossible to chase kids down when you have 200+ students. I think if I make a blanket statement each morning during the beginning of the year (make sure to check the absent station if you were absent etc.) it just might work.

Hope that helps.

7. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

May 28, 2012

I color-code each class period. Along the tray on our side board, I have 2 folders clipped up for each class. One folder says: "For You" and the one behind it says "For the teacher." If there were any they missed, I put guided class note sheets in the folder for them and it's their responsibility find a reliable student to help with filling in the notes. I also keep a calendar with posted assignments right above the folders.

Our school policy is...absent 1 day, you have 1 day to make up work. Absent 2 days, you have 2 days, etc. They are to return any make up assignments into the correct folder for check-in.

This has really worked for me the past few years, and it alleviates the annoying issue of them cornering me and asking me "What did I miss?? Did you do anything while I was gone?" It is also their responsibility to come in during their home base period to get help with missing work. In math, they realize how important it is to catch up quickly before problems snowball.

The kids are starting HS next year, so they should be taking the responsibility for make up work. Most of my students have been successful with this. It just takes consistency. Hope this helps!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 28, 2012

I have a makeup bulletin board in the front of my room. I have one manila folder per period stapled to the board with the period number on it. I write the student's name on any missing work and print a copy of the agenda, staple everything together, and stick it in the correct folder... with the papers sticking out the top. This was my first year with this system, and it's worked beautifully... even parents remember it from Open House. Of course, they don't always makeup the work, but they do have the visual to remember to grab it, at least.

I put ALL grades in the online gradebook as a zero until they are made up... experience showed that they simply won't make it up if it's in there as missing.

9. JetShack

JetShack Rookie

May 28, 2012

I teach mostly 9th graders. Make up work is the responsibility the students who were absent.

I post all assignments to my classroom website. If they're absent it's their responsibility to go to the website and print it out.

I will not provide it for them other than on the website.

They have one day for every day they're absent to make the assignment up. If their time is up and they haven't turned the assignment in it goes into the grade book as a 0.

For the most part I do not do extra credit either. If someone goes above and beyond on a specific assignment then I might give a few extra points. But I never do assignments that are completely extra credit.

Every semester I've got a couple of individuals who come up a week before final grades and ask the "how can i bring my grade up?" question. My response is nearly always "Turn your assignments in on time next year when you're taking this class again." That said, by becoming a hard core on the "Make Up" work problem my students (for the most part) figure it out really quick and take care of business.

10. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 4, 2012

Awesome suggestions, here. I teach 7th graders and I have 200 kids, so yes--hunting them down was something I did ALL year and I need to revamp my makeup work system. I feel like 7th graders (and middle school aged kids) need that visual bulletin board or a station.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

I have the same issue/problem and I haven't yet found a good solution that works for me. So many of the ideas I've read about this topic are wonderful but I don't feel like I'm organized enough to implement them. :(

My biggest problem is that while it's all well and good to say that students need to be responsible for their own makeup work, my experience tells me otherwise. I know from experience that my admin will make it my problem and my responsibility, which is why I want a method/procedure that is easy and straightforward.

Next year I'm making plans to use my Edmodo class webpage a lot more. I haven't yet figured out exactly how I'll do that, but I'm working on it.

12. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

I have a student in each class who copies the assignments each day from the board onto a sheet on the "Assignments" wall. They also put one copy for each missing students of any handout into the folder next to the assignment sheet on the wall. Each student is required to get another student's email and/or phone number, and they are supposed to call them if they miss school for the work they missed, but they can get it from the assignment sheet on the wall if necessary. When the absent student returns, he/she has one day for every day missed to get the HW in, and must fill out a late work form as to why the HW is late, attach it to the makeup work and turn it in to a "Late Work" box on my desk. They must see me the day they return to school to make an appointment to make up any missed tests, and I usually do those after school so they don't miss new material. All this info is on the opening day handout, and it works pretty well.

13. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 5, 2012

This is my issue too. There is zero sense of accountability with the students I work with as a result. :(

14. roxstar

roxstar Companion

Jun 5, 2012

I am right there with the both of you. I posted to a thread a few weeks back with an idea...that totally flopped so I will see if this new one I found will work. Everything they do comes under the umbrella of our responsibility, I'm just hoping I can instill a little more responsibility in them. :dizzy:

15. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 6, 2012

I have had students who are 20 years old in my 10th grade classes and STILL it was my responsibility to ensure they got work for the entire term or semester if they were absent (truant, not legitimate absences). I get the :dizzy: feeling! Good luck... let us know how the new idea works. Maybe it is something I can use next year too!

16. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jun 6, 2012

I teach 6th grade....
    Since it is their first year of middle school, they do need some training when it comes to being responsible for their own work. I used to get all of their missing work together and put it in a folder when they were absent, but it was really time consuming and most of the time they would forget to check the folder when they came back anyways.
    Here is what I do now:
    First, I number all assignments. They are written up on the board for the week (I add assignments daily to the board) along with the corresponding number. Students also write this down in their planners.
    In the back of the room is a crate with hanging file folders that are numbered. At the end of the day, any extra assignments go into the corresponding numbered file folder. I always make about 10 extra copies for each assignment.
    When a student is absent, the next day I will say, when we are about to correct/check-in homework: "If you were absent yesterday, you need to go get #3 and #4 out of the crate."
    Students know that when they are turning in missing/absent work in a certain box on my desk.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 6, 2012

Reading fail, mine works well for 5th graders who I have for 80% of the day. I missed the age of the kids part, what is your homework policy? My school does 2 nights for every day absent. After those 2 nights it is a 0.