How Do You Name Your Class

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BruinsFan63, Aug 28, 2017.

1. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

Aug 28, 2017

I've never named my class before, but many teachers do in my school. Just curious how other teachers go about allowing their students to take part in making their class but keeping it reasonable.

My last name is Mitchell. But I don't think it has to be off of my last name.

Maybe an animal they pick by rotating alphabet.

Any help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2017

I don't name my class...

But you could go with alliteration:
    Mitchell's Magnificent Masterminds....

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 28, 2017

I remember when I was in middle school, all the teachers had signs outside their doors naming their classes after places. Like Ryan's River, Harrison's Hacienda, Mueller's Mountain, Lincoln's Lair, etc. etc. I never understood why they did that to be honest, but perhaps something like that....

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2017

I call each class my Superstars. They don't get to pick.

6. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Aug 29, 2017

Where I work, the teachers come up with a theme. For instance, last year it was flowers so we all had to choose a flower name. This year it's super heroes so we all chose a super hero name. My classroom name is The SuperHumans

7. bojeeone

bojeeone Guest

Aug 30, 2017

We had similar theme and called the class Gradebusters (like Ghostbusters) ;)

8. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 9, 2017

One school I taught at had to be named-- we all had to have a class flag-- it was a big to-do. I asked students for ideas that they wrote on a scrap paper and put in a bucket. I went through, picked a 2-3 create ones and had the class vote using the same method. (This way, they felt they had buy-in.) We ended up being Sour Patch Smarties. Lol.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 9, 2017

I used my last name or my last initial -- Grade 1 Jones or 1J

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2017

I guess that I never thought of naming my class - no matter what grade I was teaching.

11. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 11, 2017

A helpful method of classroom voting is the "fist-to-five" vote. The students close their eyes and raise a fist, 1 finger, 2 fingers, etc. up to 5 fingers. 0 for not preferring that choice at all and 5 for the highest preference. The purpose of the fist-to-five is to give the students more of a choice in the vote. A danger might be hurt feelings if a student's choice receives less votes, but that problem has never occurred in my elementary classrooms. Usually, as suggestions begin to build upon each other, the entire class tends to feel like all the suggestions are great but a few tend to be better, and those who made the losing suggestions haven't had their feelings hurt. Another advantage is that the students get to raise their hand (and fingers) for each choice rather than just one choice.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2017

My students never had a choice. They were always Mr. A's All-Stars.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 16, 2017

At the start of the year we researched animal groups (an ambush of tigers, a waddle of penguins, etc) and found out why they were better together. Then we brainstormed why we as a class were better helping each other and collaborating. Finally, I had the kids suggest class names and we voted and made a sign to go over the door.