How do you move nametags around with tables?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zoerba, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

I know this seems like a silly question, but with students moving to different table locations what is a good way to move their nametags with them? I've thought of velcro, or perhaps hanging them from the ceiling with fishing line.

How do you move nametags around when you have tables?

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

year before last in music the teacher had each child's name on the large index cards that rested on the table in front of each child- i think it was the 5 x 7 size cards- fold it in half lengthwise and put their name on each side, surpisingly they didnt mess with them and they didnt fall onto the floor, etc

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

I didn't use nametags when I used tables.

But, I have seen velcro used many times.

5. jenteach

jenteach Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

You could buy the library book envelopes and attach those to the table and then put names on the very top of the index cards so you could just put them in a new envelope when they need to move. These come in all sorts of colors or you could decorate them according to whatever grade/theme you have in your room

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

I just do new ones each time I move tables. I used to start out the year with the fancy name plates, but I don't anymore. I just write their names on a sentence strip. I move my students at the end of each nine weeks. By the 3rd quarter or so I just type them on the computer and cut them out.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 12, 2008

I'm not sure how hanging them from the ceiling would make it easy to more them around? Could you elaborate on that one please?

8. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

Thanks for the good ideas, keep em coming!

There would be fishingline hanging from the ceiling with a paperclip attached to the bottom. If I put a hole punch in the name card I can attach it to the paperclip. It would probably still be a hassle to take the cards off the paperclips and then put them back on in a different spot.

I like the velcro idea but have heard that students will take the nametag off and then put it back on to hear the 'velcro sound'.

I also use sentence strips, although I may use index cards this time. I like to let the kids decorate them.

9. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I use blu-tac. It keeps the tags on the desk and makes it easy to move to another desk at any time. I laminate the tags first.

10. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I just move the whole desk. That way every time we change arrangements we don't have to have the custodian come back in and adjust desk height.

11. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I am not sure where I have seen them, but I think really good stuff sells a clear pouch that you adhere to the table. Then, you slide the name tag into the pouch. That way to change seats you just slide the tags out and move them.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 13, 2008

I always wanted to get the clear nameplate holders from RGS but they were expensive, I thought. I've seen some teachers have little wooden holders that you stick the nameplate in, but I've never seen them anywhere.

My first year with tables I used magnetic tape. It was a pain because it was easy to come off the tables, and it wasn't cheap to replace! Last year I used velcro. I told the kids if they played with it, they don't get to have it, and I'd take it away for the day. It wasn't really a big problem or anything. Next year I will have desks so I can use tape again.

13. macteach

macteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

Name tags for tables

I have laminated the name tags in the past and then just moved them to new spots on the tables. The name tags end up needing replaced at least two times through out the year.:)

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2008

In my Kindergarten classroom for my students I put their names on the back of the chairs. That way I can move two child away from each other quickly. For the students that come in for learning lab they are wearing name tags.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

I have a pretty handy method for this. Each table has a little caddy in it with three compartments. I use the middle compartment for a name tag. It's a laminated, colorful index card . Last year I used orange, green, yellow. Next I will also have blue.

Anyway, I laminate the card, and then write their names with a BIC permanent marker (it comes off easier) and when I change tables every three weeks, I wipe off the marker with goo gone and write the new names on it.

The containers I use for pencils, erasers and the name tag are something like this:

http://www.storables.com/Shop/Bath/...le=Large+3-Compartment+Acrylic+Stackable+Tray

(I got mine at storables, but they were in the office section, so a little deeper and smaller overall, meant for pencils and things.)

16. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

OMG, I just looked up those clear vinyl nameplate holders from Really Good Stuff and it would be $60 to buy them for a class my size. That is pretty ridiculous!

I have another idea. I heard it somewhere around the boards but I can't remember whose idea it is, sorry!

You take a large mailing envelope and cut off the flap. Then you put the nametag on one side of the envelope and laminate. Then you adhere the envelope onto the table, one for each student. The envelopes become pockets for incomplete work and the nametag is on the front of them.

I like this idea but wonder if it's practical. Then I still have the issue of adhering the envelope to the table and then moving it each time I want to change seating arrangements.

17. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I think I read this on the site somewhere, but a teacher has a piece of construction paper taped to the center of the table and he/she writers the students names on the edge so they know where they sit. It seemed like an easy and inexpensive way to label seats, especially if you have some type of caddy in the center with group supplies.

18. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

19. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

I was on a teacher's website (can't remember who's) but she used paint wood sticks as nameplates for the kids. I thought it looked so cool! She got the wooden paint stir sticks and spray painted them and then wrote the kids name on them. She then put velcro on the back of the sticks and on the desk so that it was easy to move the kids around. Let me look and see if I remember where I saw them and post the link. But I'm def. going to remember that idea!

20. amyd

amyd Rookie

Jul 13, 2008

21. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Wow, amyd, what a brilliant idea! I can't imagine those getting destroyed...and no laminating! I imagine I could also use colored popcicle sticks. THANK YOU! ;)

22. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I LOOOOOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!

If I had tables I would use this idea. However, I just move the desks around, this way I don't have to move the kids books/journals/pencil boxes around.

I'll probably use this idea for something though.

:thanks:

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I use Avery removeable labels. They stick great, and they peel off without reside and restick.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

I laminate nametags and use scotch tape. We just peel them off and move. They last all year. I don't let kids write on them-big nono. I would think velcro would get in the way when you clean the tops of the desk. I put my nametags on the top of the desk, though.

25. BellJ

BellJ Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

My desks are all metal. I got the plain small magnets from VistaPrint to use as nametags! No muss, no fuss!

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

27. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

28. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

Jem, I LOVE those envelopes! Who knew they made those???

I was going to order them because they're awefully cheap, but they want $19 for shipping! Doesn't that seem a bit steep for a box of envelopes? How much did you pay for your shipping?