How do you monitor the bathrooms?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Jul 29, 2015.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 29, 2015

About two years ago at my school, there was an issue with some of the lower-grade elementary boys flooding the bathroom because they were flushing lunch food down the toilet. Why? Who knows?

This year in summer school, there was another incident with kids trashing the bathroom and the complaint got run up to the top levels of the district. In this case, there were other political issues brewing, but it definitely points to an issue of lack of supervision in an area where adults are not allowed to be. I've always been told stay out of the student bathrooms. There is no reason for adults to go in there. But if you have kids who clearly can't behave, how do you monitor to make sure they're not destroying the place? Take everyone at the same time and then do a check of the room once everyone is out? Has anyone else's schools had bathroom issues?

:dizzy:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 29, 2015

I have no problem going in the boys bathroom if need be, and it's usually not too difficult to find somebody to go in the girl's bathroom. With my third graders, I always send a boy and a girl at the same time. That generally eliminates most problems I might conceivably face.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 29, 2015

I feel your pain.

We've had to close off one of the restrooms because of the insane amount of issues. Toilets plugged with <insert item here>, kids swinging on/from the doors as if they were Olympic gymnast, unrolling toilet paper as if they were TPing their neighbor's trees, using their own excrement to write names, urinating over the doors....it just never ends. Parents get called, students get in trouble, but the restrooms that were once used for their purpose are now "playrooms".

We have the right to go into the restrooms to check on behavior as long as we announce ourselves LOUDLY so others can hear. I'm not afraid. The kids might be though. :)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 29, 2015

If I want to use the restroom, I have to use the student restroom. If someone told me I couldn't use it and had to use the visitor's restroom two hallways away, my class would be walking down to that restroom a couple times a day!

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 30, 2015

I have no issue going into the bathrooms including the boys'--the bathroom is structured in such a way I can enter and cause a scene without catching some little boy at the urinal.

But I don't recall any pervasive or serious problems. Generally after one playtime episode at the beginning of the year I lecture about how gross bathrooms are and that seems to nip it in the bud.

7. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

My preference is to take the entire class at one time, but many schools (my current one included) do not allow this. I am on the same hallway as the bathroom, so I tell all my students (especially the ones that I know like to mess around) that they have two minutes (in reality I give them more like 5 mins) and if I have to come in the hall and yell for them, they will get their color moved.

If the student is gone for an excessive amount of time (and it's a student who I know likes to mess around), I will either pause instruction for a moment to call them OR if the kids are doing seat work I have a student run down to check on them.

The checker is always a trusted student who will be honest and tell me if Johnny/Susie are messing around or actually using the bathroom.

I also talk to the student's about bathroom etiquette and how we only have one bathroom in our hall, so if everyone doesn't do their part and it becomes gross, we will have no choice but to use it.

Another helpful tool is my bathroom sign out sheet. It's mandatory to sign it and if an incident occurs, I check to see who was in the bathroom around that time and either investigate or pass their name on to the administration.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 31, 2015

My classroom is across the hall from the bathrooms, do I'm fairly lax about letting kids use it. I still often give a whole - class bathroom and water break after recess or whatever as even with being lax about kids leaving the class for the bathroom I hate those request-after - request-after moments and mass bathroom breaks seem to prevent it.

I'm planning on doing the hand sanitizer bit for checking out for the bathroom.

9. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 31, 2015

I have always taught at schools who required us to build in some bathroom breaks throughout the day. I would stand out in the hallway but I would have a boy and girl bathroom monitor, which generally worked out well. I once had a student who would play a lot in the bathroom, so if that student needed to use the bathroom outside of our bathroom break, I would send that child to the bathroom with the monitor, which helped.

10. Sunskyteach

Sunskyteach Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

Do the kindergarten, first, or second grades have bathrooms in the classroom? If so can you make friends with one of the lower primary teachers and arrange for them to use the bathroom in that classroom?