How do you mark your items....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

in the classroom? I was thinking about getting a stamp with my last name on it, so I can mark all of my own books. Do you stamp it, write it, or use mailing labels? First name or just last?

Also, do you put your name on other non-book items? For example, I might be buying my own whiteboard, small table, etc. Do you put your names on things like that as well?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 26, 2007

Sharpie!
    I usually write my last name on everything. If I'm concerned about remembering which belongs to the school I'll put a -s behind my name.

4. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jun 26, 2007

I wrote my name inside all of my books, as well as anything else that I purchased with my personal money.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 26, 2007

I read on here that someone uses her name followed by the district name if it was purchased with school money, and her name followed by "personal" if she bought it. I can't remember who gave that tip, but I plan on using it now!

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 26, 2007

For books I bought a stamp with my last name on it. For all other items Sharpies work great! I don't bother with labels because they can be peeled off by little fingers or come off by themselves. If it's a large item like a table or bookshelf I still write on it with a Sharpie. It's more important to make sure everybody knows it's mine than to keep it in pristine condition :) Teachers can be scavengers and if the custodians move all my stuff out of my room in the middle of the summer to wax or clean carpets I don't want anybody to scavenge my stuff!

7. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 26, 2007

I have learned to make labels for EVERYTHING, even the students things. I got some avery labels and used a microsoft template and did pages of my name, or kids names. When school starts they use their name labels to put on folders binders, spirals, etc. I use the same template to level my books and put their AR value in them. I keep a folder of labels in my desk and every time I get a new book I let the students put the labels on and then look up values etc., they love it!

8. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 26, 2007

by the way, if you need any FREE stamps, business cards (i glue them inside binders or agenda for the kids, sticky notes, etc. go to vistaprint.com, all yo have to pay for is the shipping!

9. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

i label EVERYTHING. some items get a stamp, some get a mailing address that has: This belongs to _______, or i use my label maker. i label everything from my trash cans to my markers. after renovations i went from three trash cans to one. i now have four with my name all over them! sometimes i get things sent back to me years later when kids finally clean their rooms. other times my items grow legs and end up in someone else's classroom. it just makes things easier.

10. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

In my personal opinion if you are bringing anything into school that belongs to you personally then label it. I am not currently teaching full time and am working as a substitute so I always label everthing I have that is teacher related. I carry this big teacher bag with extras of some things in it and I have everything labeled that I am concerned about getting back. I don't worry about things like pens,pencils because I get those cheap at the beginning of the school year. I have actually caught students trying to keep things that belong to me. Also, I have lost several teacher resource books to other teachers. I use a small return address label with my name on the inside front covers of all my books.

Mldouglas

11. I want to TEACH

Jun 26, 2007

Just bought a stamp with my last name for $5 at vistaprint.com!
    Thanks for the info hdavidson!

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

I use mailing labels... gold ones with a monogram. If put on correctly, they are difficult to remove as one of my darling students found out this year. In addition, I put my name in the inside of all teacher resource books. When loaning out a book, I have started keeping a sticky in my lesson plan book and checking on the book periodically until returned. In a pinch I use a Sharpie. So all in all, I pretty much use whatever means necessary. :) Big help, I know.

13. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

Okay - one last question. Last name only or Mrs. XXXX

14. I want to TEACH

Jun 26, 2007

I did just my last name because it was bigger.

15. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 26, 2007

I use my last name in all caps, saves time.

16. I want to TEACH

Jun 26, 2007

I'm referring to if you had a stamp made with your name.:rolleyes:

17. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 26, 2007

Your welcome I want to TEACH... where abouts are you in GA? I am NE of Atl

18. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 26, 2007

It depends on the item...

Personal items with the word family behind my last name, i.e. The ABC Family,

If its school property, general use, it gets a school address label.

If its school property, but my class specifically, then its Mrs. FirstName LASTNAME

And I use address labels, they save so much time.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 26, 2007

I use a Sharpie! I usually write my first initial and my last name. I only label items I purchased with my money and leave the school's property either unlabeled or labeled with the school's name.

20. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I use a big 'ol sharpie...however I have learned that I not only put it in the front cover (in case the cover comes off...) but nice and big on the front of the book. I have received more of my loaned out resources books back since figuring out to put my name blatantly out front!

21. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 27, 2007

i ordered address labels with ... property of ruth last name. All i did was unpeel and stick to the OUTSIDE of the book. (on the isbn #)

22. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I've used all of the above and they all work well.

Now, I'm wondering why I haven't been more consistent over years ;)

23. I want to TEACH

Jun 27, 2007

Athens/Oconee Area!!!