How do you manage your home once school starts?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by thecottage, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I started doing a "dinner service" and it's worked wonders. They are popping up all over the place, i'm sure you can find one. Mine is the "Tampa Bay Supper Club".

At this business, they sell meals that you go in, prepare and take home w/ you (eliminating the need for you to go to the grocery). You pick out a meal package (I get the 4 meal package that splits up into 8 meals for just the 2 of us) go in, put togehter your meal in sealable containers they provide, take them home and put them in the freezer, take them out the morning you'd like to eat it and that's it! No cooking, but a homecooked meal! It's wonderful! I paid around $80 for the 8 meals (enough for 2 people).

2. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

I teach Preschool and we all take turns with the laundry. I just wanted to mention that 4 and 5 year olds do the folding of all the towels and bibs, so that is something that your children could do for you, if you are not overly fussy!?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2006

You just have to learn to let go & let the kids do things their way when it comes to chores. Kinda of like when hubby first started changing diapers & you didn't like the way HE did it. As long as the clothes are folded, who really cares how they are folded? My teenager does all of the dishes, plus she foldes the laundry.

Clean a little bit each night, run errands during the week (Sam's Club is AWFULon the weekends!) We plan out dinners a week or 2 in advance. That way there is no thought of what should we have for dinner, just look on the fridge.

Make lunches, fix coffee & lay out clothes the night before. Have everything put in bookbags ready to go before the kids go to bed.

4. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Anything I cook in the oven I cook in the crock pot.
    I like to cook a whole bunch of ground hamburger first on the stove and freeze. Then in the crock pot I can make lasagne, sloppy joe's, and cassaroles. I also do a lot of chicken and porkchops in the crock pot. I have a pork chop recipe that you just put the pork chops in with 1 small bottle of Italian Dressing. That is it! I make up some rice and serve the sauce of it. It is the best. One easy recipe that I have is a parmesan chicken recipe (not crock pot, maybe it could be) I dip chicken strips into butter and then dip them into 1 package ranch dressing powder, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and bake it for 1 hour (excellent). Does anyone else have easy recipes that they can share?

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 14, 2006

PUMPKIN MELTS
    Slice of bread, Slice of Cheese
    Use pumpkin or other shape.
    Call them_--the shape--_Melts.
    Cut out shape from bread and cheese.
    Put cheese cut out on top of bread cut out.
    Melt in microwave and eat.

FROZEN PUMPKIN DESSERT
    Graham cracker crust.
    1-quart vanilla ice cream
    1-cup pumpkin
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    Cool Whip and Pecans
    Let ice cream soften enough to allow stirring.
    Stir in all ingredients and pour in 9x13
    inch pan with graham cracker crust. Freeze.
    Before serving, add Cool Whip and top with pecans.

CHERRY SALAD
    1 can cherry pie filling,
    1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple,
    1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk,
    ¼ cup Walnut pieces.
    Mix all ingredients; add 1 large carton Cool Whip.
    Eat. It may be frozen.

HAM AND SCALLOPED POTATOES
    6 or 8 slices of ham. OR
    A package of slivered ham works great also
    10 med potatoes sliced
    1 teaspoon chopped onion
    4 teaspoons bacon bits
    1 cup grated cheese
    1 – 10oz can cream of mushroom soup – undiluted
    Put half potatoes, ham, onion in Crock-pot,
    sprinkle with salt, than ½ grated cheese,
    ½ bacon bits….Repeat remaining half.
    Spoon over undiluted soup over top.
    Cover and cook on Low 8 hours or High four hours.
    Cook until potatoes are soft.

MONKEY BREAD
    4 tubes refrigerator bread
    1 cup of sugar
    1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
    1 stick of margarine
    plastic bag
    Grease a tube or bundt pan and set aside.
    Children can cut each biscuit into quarters.
    (plastic knife works great) Shake biscuit pieces
    with mixture of cinnamon and sugar in a plastic bag.
    Place biscuit pieces in the pan. Combine
    the remaining cinnamon sugar mix with margarine
    in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour
    over biscuits. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Let stand for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
    Eat these while still hot.

Gourmet Potato Soup

3 slices of bacon chopped
    1 Cup chopped onions
    2 - 3 cups of chicken broth (14 oz can)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 pkg of shredded hashbrowns- 2 lbs
    1 Cup of sour cream
    2 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 tsp. pepper

6. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

I am glad to see that I am not alone! It is tough to find time to do everything. This year I would like to set a plan to clean the house on a certain day and do laundry on a certain day. For me last year, I was getting so tired of my weekends being packed with cleaning, grocery shopping, grading and getting things ready for the next week that I never got to relax. I found that I was always sick. This year I really want to make an effort to have my weekends be more about relaxing and not running so much. I am loving the quick easy recipes!! Please keep them coming!!

7. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 14, 2006

That's what I really try to do, keep my weekends open. I work my tail of during the week and so I can have two days of nothing. It's worth it!!

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 14, 2006

Baked Apples are Delicious
    Wash the apples, take the seeds out by drilling a hole around the stem. Don't cut the peeling on the bottom of the apple. Fill the center with brown sugar, a dab of butter and a couple drops of water. Top with a large marshmellow. Cook in the microwave until the apple is tender.

Chicken Casserole
    Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
    Cook a 16 ounce package of shell noodles.
    Drain and add a can of chicken.
    Add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup.
    Add a soup can of milk. Add a bit more milk if the casserole seems a bit dry. Put in a casserole dish and top with crushed crackers. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crackers are brown.

Tuna Casserole is the basically the same.
    Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
    Cook a 16 ounce package of shell noodles.
    Drain and add a can of tuna.
    Add a can of Cream of Celery soup.
    Add a soup can of milk. Add a bit more milk if the casserole seems a bit dry. Put in a casserole dish and top with crushed crackers. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crackers are brown.

Microwave Baked Potatoes
    Wash potatoes. Bake in the microwave. Let stand for fifteen minutes. Cut in half and add, sour cream, butter, chives, bacon bits, salt and pepper.

Instant Pudding is also quick and easy. Dump a package of Jello Instant Pudding in a bowl. Add 2 cups of cold milk and mix with an electric mixer for two minutes. So good for children. They get some extra milk. For easy clean up immediately wash the beaters under hot water.

It's ok to use paper plates occasionally.

Grill hamburgers and hot dogs

Kids love hot dogs. Warm them up in the microwave

Frozen pizza, add extra shredded cheese

Open a can of corn, green beans or peas, add a dab of butter and heat in the microwave.

Open a can of fruit. Peaches, pears or cinnamon applesauce.

Serve ice cream in ice cream cones and save washing the extra dishes.

Tatter-Tot-Casserole
    1 lb hamburger
    1/2 package onion soup mix
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup milk
    Tatter tots to cover
    Press hamburger in bottom of casserole dish. Sprinkle with onion soup mix. Mix milk and chicken soup. Pour over the hamburger. Cover with Tatter Tots. Bake one hour at 350 degrees.

Santa Fe Enchiladas
    1 1/2 lbs ground beef
    1 12oz can tomato paste
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    12 tortillas
    1 8oz jar Cheeze Whiz.
    Crumble meat in bowl. Microwave 6 to 8 minutes or until meat loses pink color when stirred, drain. Add tomato paste, water, onion and salt. Microwave 3 minutes or until hot. Wrap tortillas in paper towel. Microwave one or 2 minutes or until soft. Spoon meat mixture on each tortilla roll-up tightly. Place in 11 3/4 by 7 1/2 inch baking dish. Cover with cheese then meat mixture. Microwave 6 minutes turn cover and microwave 5 minutes.

Taco Salad
    1 pound Hamburger, onion to taste. Brown
    Add: 1/2 envelope Taco seasoning
    1/4 cup French dressing
    1 can kidney beans
    Mix with hamburger. 1/2 pound shredded cheese
    2 Tomatoes

Hamburger Sloppy Joes
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup catsup
    1/2 Tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 can chicken gumbo soup.
    Brown ground beef in skillet and drain. Combine ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve between hamburger buns.

When your at the Dollar Store pick up a plastic bear of honey and buy some cheap biscuits in a can. Bake and add butter and honey.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 14, 2006

natjoejag. I would love some more of your easy crock pot recipes.

10. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Cream Cheese Chicken
    Chicken strips into crock pot with 1/2 stick butter and Italian Dressing Pack and some water. When you get home mix microwaved 8 ounce cream cheese and cream of chicken soup put in crock pot and mix. Let cook for 10 minutes and then serve over rice.
    ALWAYS SPRAY THE INSIDE OF YOUR CROCK POT WITH COOKING SPRAY FOR EASY CLEAN UP

Anther Chicken Recipe

1 medium can of tomato sauce - or fresh chopped tomato’s

10 ounces of fresh mushrooms - sliced and seasoned with Italian spices (oregano etc.)

6 chicken breast halves - skinless

1/4 cup of red table wine - optional

10 ounces of cooked pasta of your choice

garlic powder - to taste, or fresh chopped garlic

Put the chicken in the crock pot and season with salt and pepper.
    Place the seasoned, sliced mushrooms on top of the chicken.
    Pour the tomato sauce and wine over the chicken and around the bottom of the crock pot.
    Cook on low heat for 6 hours. (200 degrees).

Pre-cook the boiled pasta on the stove. Drain when tender.
    Serve the chicken on top of the hot pasta of your choice.

I frequently throw a roast or steak pieces into the crock pot with baby carrots and cut up pototoes and 1 can cream of mushroom.

I get a lot of my recipes off of this site
    http://crockpot.cdkitchen.com/recipes

11. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

Iteachtwo: I like your attitude, and promote it frequently! I'm an empty nester who has always worked; we always gave our kids chores. From the time they were able to, they made their beds and "picked up" their rooms. As they got older, they could sort laundry.

When my daughter was 6 (she was younger, but the more responsible one), I showed her how to do basic laundry (no bleach) because I was going to have surgery. During my recupe, her dad had to have emergency hernia surgery (from lifting me!! HAHA), so the skill came in extremely handy. Kids can learn to do a LOT. She didn't take over the chore permanently, but when she hit age 11 and started changing her clothes all the time, she had to do her own laundry!

My kids also had kitchen duty every night, switching between "washer jobs" and "dryer jobs" when we didn't have a dishwasher. And while we're at it, teach them how to properly wash a car! That is really great when it's a little too hot or too cold for our older bones!

Sweeping and vacuuming are not difficult chores to do, and I was a stickler about teaching them to rinse the tub out EVERY TIME they use it. That always helps in the scrub time, and it looks better in the meantime!

When my daughter went away to college, she became the "house mom" because most of her roommates over four years didn't know how to do very much around the house. (She's also a great bargain shopper...I take credit for that one!!) :-D

12. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Thanks, srh. I'm just trying to make them more responsible around the house. It really has helped me, especially as I was adjusting to a new district, school, work environments, etc.

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

Trust me, even THEY will appreciate it as they head out on their own... (Gosh, I kinda miss my kids' help [and company] around here sometimes!)

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

Gosh, this is a great topic. My hat goes off to all the teachers who also have kids. I do well to keep my cat healthy, clean and fed. ;) (and trust me, he's well taken care of) I will have a class this year after a long stint of subbing. I have been wondering how I will handle keeping my humble little apartment manageable and organized. As it is now, like many others I try and cook food that I can take to lunch. It saves me time and money. My big concern is getting back into the habit of going to bed early! I am a total night-owl and I love a good late night laugh with David Letterman or Jay Leno. Time to invest in Tivo! :D That alone will allow me enough sleep so I'll have the energy to do the teaching, lesson planning, cleaning, and living of life that I need to do! As a general rule, I tend to be a weekend warrior. Saturday's are work-horse days for me. Since my place is small I can give it a thorough cleaning in one day. (although, it's a loooong day!). Thanks for all these great suggestions. Again, great topic!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2006

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Fall is always the hardest between getting back into the swing of school and all of the after-school activities for my kids (nobody ever told me that marching band and sports were each full-time jobs!)
    The best trick I have found is to deal with the mail ONCE. When I go through it I decide what to do with it; bills go in a cubby over the kitchen desk, coupons go in an envelope, invitations get written on the calendar and most of it goes in the trash! I also throw in a load of laundry every morning before I leave, put it in the dryer as soon as I get home, and fold it while I "fix" dinner (I am lucky to have a first floor laundry room.) I try to plan meals a week at a time, but things get unpredictable, so I am not above serving french toast and fruit or grilled cheese and soup for dinner. I cook a huge meal on Saturday or Sunday so there are always leftovers for at least one week-day meal. This summer I am trying to spend some time getting rid of stuff so that there is less to manage.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Missing our kids

I really miss having my kids at home, although we still see them often. I was shopping yesterday and over heard this lady telling someone that she is soooooo glad her kids are gone and how she just wanted them out of the house. She said it over and over and over. I don't know why she felt so strongly that way, but even when our kids were having troubles, I didn't feel that way. I almost said something to her, but kept my comments to myself. She was very loud and obnoxious about it, almost announcing it to the whole store. I instantly disliked this woman greatly. Wonder what kind of a gramma she'll be. Just had to relate that message. Sorry to get off subject.

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

I know what you mean, Grammy...I can hardly bear to see how parents treat kids sometimes. I know I have mellowed so much, and even though I hopefully was never like "that," I think maybe we're just more tolerant in general as we grow older!! That woman must have been dealing with some huge issues!!

18. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

Some moms are very selfish, I suppose.

Missy, I really like your system for laundry. I'm going to keep that in mind. I also think taking care of the mail right away is the way to go.

19. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

waaaiiittt a minute, you mean we are supposed to clean our houses TOO???? :) JK. It is next to impossible for me. I have a 2 1/2 yr old, will have a newborn in Aug, and ? my own sanity at times. I TRY to keep the house "straight" during the week, and clean on the weekends. My husband helps out with dishes, vacumming, wiping down bathrooms as much as he can.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2006

Harbodin, as long as the dust bunnies are smaller then the baby, you're ok. Nobody ever died from having some dirty dishes in the sink!

21. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jul 17, 2006

I have a family of five that includes the typical practices, games, church classes, etc.
    I try to designate one chore an evening:
    Monday: bedsheets
    Tuesdays: floors
    Wednesdays: dust
    Thursdays: bathrooms
    Fridays: basic needs shopping
    Saturday: organize, pick up
    Sunday:lay out kids weekly clothes, bills
    I do a load of laundry daily.
    The kitchen clean up is also a daily chore.
    My mom loves to cook.
    She makes extra, freezes it, and sends it over.
    Soup, lasagna, etc
    The best are her breakfast buckets
    full of homemade heat and heat waffles, french toast, turnovers, etc.

22. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

I made a plan--hope I follow it.
    Daily:
    Laundry (put in wash in the morning, dry in fold in the evening)
    Dishes
    Hotspots (a Fly lady term. Mine are the coffee table, kitchen counters, my desk and the dining room table)

In addition to daily chores I'll do these:

Monday
    Vacuum bedroom
    Alternate between bathrooms and vacuuming the stairs
    Wash and fill H2O bottles (the Nalgene type) for work.

Tuesday
    Sweep Kitchen
    Give countertops an extra wipe

Wednesday
    H2O bottles
    Wardrobe (Have 10 outfits ready to go on hangers with accessories)
    Alternate between vacuuming upstairs hallway and sweeping downstairs hallway

Thursday
    sweep entryway
    countertops

Friday
    Windex glass furniture
    H2O bottles

Saturday
    Alternate between cleaning scraproom floor clutter and scrap table
    countertops

Sunday
    Vacuum living room
    1st Sunday of Month windex windows
    2nd Sun vacuum scraproom
    3rd Sun. dust entertainment center and stair woodwork and mouldings
    4th Sun. dust bedroom furniture

Monthly, I'll be cooking and freezing. I left off dh office, guest room but those are less frequently cleaned and I'll just do them when they need it. oh and DH is going to be doing some of this.

23. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 17, 2006

paperheart,
    My hotspots are usually the kitchen table and the hallway table. I may get rid of the hallway table, it takes up room. And I think I may set the table before I leave, although I would worry about the cats knocking stuff over. I am in the process of reworking my CJ, as I have it set up for when I was working just weekends. Once I finish, I will post it, maybe everyone can help me tweak it. One thing I found was a time saver was Glass wipes, Lysol wipes, and Swiffer dusters. If I keep up the dusting on a daily basis(I am talking 5 minutes to use the Swiffer and dust all the horizontal surfaces), I only need to do a deep dusting when I do my zone cleaning. I think your list looks good. I would love to do OAMC, but dh is fussy about what he will eat reheated.

24. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Not everything actually gets cooked before you freeze it. I don't cook meatloaf, or hamburgers before I freeze them. And I think spaghetti sauces and lasagna (not cooked first either, just prepared) taste better reheated.

25. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

yes I don't cook everything all the way either. Yesterday's chicken was frozen raw in a marinade I made. It was delicious and very juicy and moist. I didn't cook my turkey burgers and steak, and my turkey meatballs were half cooked and the rest happens when they are reheated.

Tonight's dinner was half cooked beforehand--the chicken was cooked, but the sauce I put it in to make Chicken Broccoli casserole was not so we'll see what happens when we eat it. There's a few meals with cooked chicken that goes in a sauce or something.

26. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 17, 2006

For those of you that have kids old enough to really help out, here is a recipe that I found that my whole family loves and my dd can fix most of it by herself. I've decided that this will be one we have once a week so she can do super herself one night.

Bubble Up Pizza
    3 pkgs refrigerator biscuits - each biscuit cut into quarters
    1 jar pizza sauce
    1 pkg shredded cheese of choice
    favorite pizza toppings.

I cut the biscuits up in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish (spray dish), then I pour the sauce over the biscuits and stir together. Spread biscuit mixture over the bottom of dish. Spread cheese over biscuits. Next, put all of your favorite toppings on top of cheese. Bake on 375 for 35 - 40 mins making sure biscuits in center are fully cooked.

We serve this with a salad and we have a good supper that everyone enjoys!

27. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Refridgerator biscuits are sooooo good, I could just eat those!!

How many of you ladies out there use Flylady? I have been on and off, and right now I want to get back on again!

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

Friday night is pizza night at our house. Sometimes its a frozen pizza, other times take-out.

Last night my 10 yr. old son made dinner! Granted it was just spaghetti, but it's a start!:)