How do you manage your home once school starts?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by thecottage, Jul 12, 2006.

1. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 12, 2006

It's been 5 years since I worked during the week. I have been working on weekends as a nurse, so all my housework gets done during the week. I am still working Saturdays as a nurse, so that leaves me one day with my family. I am wondering how everyone else handles there homes. Thanks!

3. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Do you mean as far as cooking or cleaning or what?

4. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, the whole shebang. I have a good routine now, but, I am home all day. I am trying to figure out how to modify it, but I am stuck. Arrghhhh.

5. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I'm a homeschooler and here all the time but I still don't get to all the things I need to do.

I'm anxious to see what everyone has to say on this!

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

My husband gets home fairly early. We always share household responsiblitlies anyway, so I see us doing the same. Try to do as much laundry on weeknights, and drag yourself food shopping on Fridays...

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I begin cleaning on Thursday evenings- throwing wash in. On Friday evenings after I get home from school it's marathon cleaning: mopping, dusting, windows, straightening, etc. all the while doing wash. Then by 8pm on Fridays- I am done and have the remainder of the weekend for family fun. P.S. It's dirty again by Sunday night.

During the summers when I am off, it's deep cleaning- washing windows and screens, closets, fridge, and on and on. It helps me stay on top of it during the year.

Husband cooks dinner during the week because he is sort of the stay at home dad (works weekends).

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

I have a cleaning lady about once every three weeks. I can get to the vacuuming and general tidying up but it's nice once or twice a month to get it all clean at once!! I usually am doing mega loads of laundry while she cleans as the laundry does tend to pile up especially if it's one of my sons' sports seasons. Otherwise I try to get at least one load in a day but it can pile up when I'm busy with tutoring, grad class, etc... Cooking during the week is simple stuff- crock pots, throw chicken in the oven with dried soup mix on (mix with parmesan cheese- cip chicken in egg and then soup/cheese, bake...), salads, homemade soups are good for dinner and a few lunches during week.

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I have a pattern...
    Saturday I clean the downstairs.
    Usually I do laundry on Sunday mornings, I also go grocery shopping.

This means most of my house doesn't look that great.

This year I plan to...

Tue: Clean both bathrooms- vacume the hallway.
    Wed: Clean our bedroom, perhaps throw the sheets in the morning, and dry when I get home?
    Thur: Clean the living room & hopefully the kitchen- this is the night we usually pick up fast food for dinner- Drop off drycleaning.
    Fri: Pick up drycleaning- finish whatever I didn't get to during the week

Weekend: do the laundry & grocery shopping. Also want to put together my clothes for the following week.

I try to marinate meats when I bring them home so they are easy to fix. We also like bag meals (bertoli ones are pretty good) or pizza.

Good luck!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 12, 2006

I typically fix supper as soon as I get home, which is between 4-5. I like to cook, so that's no biggie. It's just DH and I, and we don't eat large meals anyway.

DH does all the housework during the week anyway. His job is weekends/part time, so he's home during the week. He's a househusband.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 12, 2006

loves2teach, I think that's a great system you have. I tried to work out something like that, and I just didn't hold myself to it. Maybe I'll give it another try this upcoming year! Luckily, it's just me, so it doesn't get too gross, but things do tend to pile up, and the bathroom is almost never as clean as it could be. Usually, my motivation to clean is that someone is coming over and things have gotten too dirty for anyone else to see.

12. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I get up at 5:00 a.m. This is when I throw dinner in the crock pot. I do alot with the crock pot-it saves me. I quickly pick up through, wipe down bathrooms. On Monday morning I mop the floors. On Thursday I wash beds. I try to do it all during the week in the mornings and so I can spend time with my son (3 years old) when I get home and my husband. When I get home from school I do a few odds and ends and try to work out. I only have 1 child-easier than most people. It works for me. My biggest thing is I always try to pick up through before we go to bed-less to do in the morning.

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I use the crock pot a lot, too. If it's not a crock pot night, we may have simple sandwiches, have pasta and a salad, or we may cook on the grill. Nothing fancy, nothing that takes a long time to cook. After picking up our toddler from daycare, we don't get home until around 5, and then the kids sit right down to homework while I assemble the rest of dinner. When my hubby gets home, usually around 5:45 we eat. He does dishes afterwards, and I pack lunches and get our clothes ready for the next day. This is all done by 6:45, which leaves us an hour and a few minutes for family time before baths and bed for the kiddos.

I have a cleaning lady every other week. I don't clean AT ALL in between (a dusty house never killed anyone), but I do tidy up each night after the kids go to bed.

I do laundry all day Saturday, but I don't sort it and fold it. I pile it in baskets. Then, Sunday nights, I sit down after the kids go to bed, and sort it all and put it away. Lucky for me, they are sound sleepers, so they don't wake up as I rummage in their dressers and closets. I used to love to watch Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy, so I sorted while watching, and put away during commercials. I also get up really early on Sundays and go grocery shopping at 6:30 AM before church.

This all works until you add sports and piano lessons to the mix...
    Kim

14. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I just can't stand folding that much laundry all at once. I have to do 1-2 loads a day and so I am not sitting and folding for long. Also, we are still struggling through potty training, I don't have much of a choice. I love Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, too!! But I get too involved I can't do anything else while watching it.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

I work full time and do a cleaning job on the weekends, and take care of our 2 year old grandson on weekends.
    I do a load of laundry every night.
    Meals? Grill and salad or vegetable, crock pot meal once a week or so, pizza or sandwiches one night with vegetables. I "cook" on the weekend, or bake.
    Thursday night is my house cleaning night, vacuum, dust, bathroom, mop and put all clutter away. I never deviate from Thursday night cleaning, no matter what.
    Grocery shopping, Wednesday after work.
    Friday after work, pick up any little extras for the weekend...(food.)
    Saturday is for family.
    Sunday is for family up until about 3:00 or so and then I do my cleaning job.
    I am always waaaaay too busy, but then who isn't?!

16. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I also have a cleaning lady that comes every 2 weeks, but I still clean in between her visits. I am very anal and obsessive about organization and cleaning, so I can't let it ride for for 2 weeks.

I cook dinner between 5-6 every night, so when I get home, I try to pick up things that end up sitting around. Then after supper, I clean up the kitchen, including wiping down counters and sweeping. I also try to keep the clothes caught up by doing a couple of loads during the week.

Then, on Fridays, I go ahead and dust, sweep, mop, and clean the bathrooms. It doesn't usually take more than a couple of hours and I usually have it done before my hubbie gets home if I start right after school. That way, my Saturdays and Sundays are free.

Whatever you end up doing, as long as you get yourself in a regular routine, it will work. The hardest part is sticking to your routine. To do a little each day makes Friday much easier, even when you really want to come home and sit down after work.:angel:

17. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

I am sooo glad this topic came up!! I leave home between 7:30am and 8am every morning. I don't get home until 6pm every night. I am COMPLETELY exhausted by the time I get home. We had started remodeling some last year and I started working last November. I haven't got caught up since! UGH!!

I am taking ALL this advice to heart, so please keep posting!! I know it's just a matter of managing my time, but 24hrs in a day just isn't enough!!

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Angel, I know what you mean about being exhausted. I leave the house by 7:15 every morning and get home at 4:45. I can't just walk in the door and start cooking, so we sometimes have supper around 7:00, which is fine. There are always so many little extra things to do in between the regular daily chores, do the bills, answer the phone, clean the cat litter boxes and groom the cats, water the outdoor flowers/garden, not to mention the daily shower routine!!!

19. Pavane

Pavane Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

This is the one thing that I always think about when I am student teaching. I am an organised person, and yet I still had to work to make it to school on time every morning. I asked one of the other teachers with kids how on earth you do it with kids, because the way I'm going I don't think I could afford to have kids. She goes, "Well, you probably leave the house tidy every morning, with your sink shined and everything, right? Well, that sort of stuff tends to slide when you have kids."

That was somewhat comforting.

Seriously, using a crock-pot is a good suggestion. Also, making big meals on Sundays, so you don't have to do much cooking during the week. Put them into serving-sized containers and refridgerate or freeze until needed.

My mother was a teacher and she also had a cleaning lady come in once a week when we were growing up. There just wasn't time to do it herself, and the lady didn't do much beyond vacuuming, mopping and cleaning the bathrooms, but my mother said it really helped her to stay on top of all of the little things.

20. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 12, 2006

When 9:00 p.m. hits, sometimes even 8:00, I can't even move anymore. I am so tired. I have to leave by seven and I get home at 4. It is a long tiring day-but I am so cranky if I come home to a dirty house. That is why I have to clean up in the morning when the baby is sleeping. Also, when I get home I just want to play with him.

21. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

I've decided that the only reason teachers get off during the summer is because we neglect our house the rest of the year and it takes us 2-3 months to catch back up!

Seriously though, have you ever heard of the Flylady? Her site is http://www.flylady.net. Her philosophy is that you basically have different zones you work in each week and you never work more than 15 minutes at a time. It has truly made a difference for me. I'm the type of person who thinks you have to do it all or it's not done, which is typically very exhausting. Our house is not a museum, we live here. Some days it's cleaner than others.

I hope that you are able to find a routine that will work for you.

22. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I leave around 7 am and get home 5:30 or 6 pm. I try and bring nothing home from school so I can focus on my son. The dark circles under my eyes are getting darker every year.:eek:

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

YOu mean the dark circles aren't NORMAL???????!!!!!! Ha! Isn't it great being a mom though. I miss having my kids little and at home. It's a good thing I was a lot younger then. Ya know, I haven't sat down in 30 years?!

24. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 13, 2006

great topic. I hope the posts go into the triple-digits. I am constantly trying to work in this area. I also have a business that I spend a bit of time with and try to still be balanced with my "me time" enjoyment which often gets eaten up.

was going to suggest flylady.com too. It wasn't the miracle I was looking for but I did pick up some great ideas to implement so it helped. I set my account to receive only a daily digest rather than tons of individual emails. The nI set my email acccount (yahoo) to sort the Fly Lady newsletters into a separate file so I can read though them when I so chose. Otherwise, the emails pile up and overwhelm.

Today I cooked all day. (my feet are killing me!!!) but I now have about 2-3 weeks of food in my freezer ready to heat up or do quick assembling before heating up. This is the first time I tried "ONce-a-Month Cooking" and hope it keeps my mind free from planning, amking nad cleaning up dinner each night. I know it will save time from lengthy grocery trips since I only need to pick up perishables and a few items here and there. I also hope it saves money. There are a lot of resources. I suggest cookofthemonth.com I bought the book they recommend and it is really great (haven't tried eating the recipes yet--I'll give a more thorough opinion later ;))

My big major issue is MORNINGS!!! I don't have any kids or anthing I just have a major issue with managing ME in the MORNINGS! ugh. Every morning is a rushed chaotic mess. The main issue is my wardrobe. I am working on inventorying what I have currently and filling in the gaps with well-coordinated outfits and some decent shoes which I never seem to have. I am thinking of making sets of clothing that I just rotate and keeping the whole system sort of rigid as far as what skirt I coordinate with what top. Any suggestions or thoughts?
    A few fabulous tips:
    --buy a clothes steamer. Why are irons even allowed to still exist?! These things save time. I love mine and can even de-wrinkle a last minute clothing decision in less than 2 minutes from turning it on to turning it off.
    --I will probably not be doing this this year ($$ reasons since health reasons make me eat the whole wheat "spa" meals and not sure if I can have a mircrowave in my new school and JOhn Hopkins just came out with a study saying the plastic trays cause cancer when nuked) but Lean Cusine and similar meals make an easy, fast lunch. My only worry about lunch planning was whether I had enough lean cuisines in the freezer for the whole week because I just grabbed one and left in the morning. I need protein with every meal so this was a wonderful solution.

sorry for a long post.

25. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 13, 2006

I definitely need to get back into a Flylady routine once school starts. I joined another flylady group for teachers, so hopefully that will help some. I really love all the ideas you have given so far, and can't wait to hear more!

26. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 13, 2006

What kind of meals do you freeze? I've heard of freezing meals but was not sure how they'd taste. How do I wrap them to keep from getting frost or tasting bad.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 13, 2006

I'm still on teh fence about the freezer burn possibilities, but the book goes into some tips on that. Mainly, they use freezer-worthy containers (tupperware like things), aluminum foil and freezer storage bags. I'll let you know how well that works.

The recipes I made yesterday ranged everything from broccoli and chicken casseroles, to calzones, to marinated chicken, to burgers frozen raw between wax paper. I also made soup from the broth and a big batch of spaghetti sauce to use in various ways--for the calzones, a pizza and spagetti.

28. linderdm

linderdm Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

Time management

I loved reading through all of these ideas. I am returning to teaching after 4 years, and I have two littles ones at home now. I keep trying to imagine how I will make all of this work. I need to focus on our morning routine, since I know "a hurried child is a stressed child," and my children will be experiencing a lot of changes too. So, keep the ideas coming. I already know I will have a cleaning lady every other week; that is one area I won't worry about too much.

29. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 13, 2006

I'm married w/3 children, ages 13, 11, and 19 month old. Last year, I couldn't seem to catch up and my husband and I were wondering why. That lead us to think back to how our parents and grandparents did it. They weren't able to hire help and neither can we. And as we talked about it and to other older people we look up to, we realized that we had chores when we were young. Somehow we forgot about that. So my 13 and 11 year old have chores to do by the time I get home which is about 2 hours after they do. They do chores, watch TV, etc. When I get home, the house is in pretty good condition. I come in and usually start cooking as they start homework. Any loose ends I finished after dinner and cleaning the kitchen. I also taught them how to wash their own clothes last summer. It's such as help. I'm trying to teach them to be team players and as a family we're also a team. So far, it's been working. So if you have tweens and teens, it's nothing wrong with them helping out, especially if they're like mine, hands always out for $$$ to go somewhere or do something.

30. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jul 13, 2006

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone that has posted ideas so far! My school year is always busy, but this coming fall poses even more challenges.

Not only do I teach 2nd grade full time, but I also lead 5 Weight Watchers meetings a week. On my longest day I leave the house at 7:10am and don't get home until almost 8:30pm. Now in the fall I'll add to this 6 credits of Masters classes......yes I'm a crazy person. Luckily one of the WI universities offers a masters program that is all on-line so I see some late nights and early mornings happening. Some morning last year I was up by 5:00.

I need to relax about the house, but it's hard to do. I agree the crock pot has saved me many nights.

I've also started doing the cleaning in sections....upstairs on Thursday night, Main Level on Friday night, and Lower level Thursday morning. Laundry happens whenever I can fit it in. I'm going to do some more reading about the flylady thing.

31. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 13, 2006

This is turning into a great discussion. Gee, maybe we could have a forum just for managing our homes, discuss our routines, etc?

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006

When I think back to my childhood and how my mom "did it all," the truth is that she didn't do it all. She didn't work until I was in second grade. When we were really little, she was home and had more time. And then there is the extracurricular stuff - I didn't do any of it! There were no piano lessons, lacrosse practices, girl scouts, etc. I was allowed to choose one activity a semester and that was it. I have to start cutting back on things like that with my own kids. With three girls, each doing 3 or more activities...well, life just won't work.

Once my mom DID go back to work, then us kids DID have chores to do. (I was 7, my brother was 11 and my sister was 13.) I agree that needs to happen. My 7 year old is old enough for some basic stuff, but my 5 year old would need a LOT of adult help, and my 2 year old is just a baby....
    Kim

33. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 14, 2006

So what kind of chores do you assign your kids? My kids are squirts for their ages, so I am at a loss of what I should be assigning them to do. Any suggestions?

34. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

Late nights and early mornings is how I keep up. There are times though when I will leave school relatively early, zip home and work for an hour or so before picking the girls up from daycare. I have some mommy-guilt because I am not picking them up right away but... my house is a couple steps closer to clean which makes me feel good.

35. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

hey Kim... here are some of the chores my brother and I had when we were little...

*putting away the silverware after the dishwasher ran
    *setting the table
    *making bed/keeping room neat (I've never been good at that one!)
    *sorting laundry (light/darks/underwear or whatever)
    *sorting recycling (we separated plastic/tin/paper/glass because we didn't have curbside recycling... after we moved, it was just paper/other)
    *putting our own clothes away

As we got older, we were able to do more things to help, but hopefully that gives you some ideas. ;)

36. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 14, 2006

my biggest issue is with the dishes. We don't have a dishwasher and we can't get one because our septic is too small. And I just HATE doing the dishes.

However, in all honesty I am a person who works better under pressure - having too much time this summer causes entropy to set in. When I was finishing my degree over the last 2 years I was also working full time in a restaurant and remodeling my home. So I am not affraid of a full time schedule. Honestly, not working nights, weekends and every holiday is just a treat to me!!

I do appreciate all of the suggestions and I am pulling my crock-pot out of storage ASAP.l Anyone have some good crock-pot recipes?

~J

37. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 14, 2006

Here are some of the chores my kids do. Keep in mind they're 13 and 11.

Clean up the kitchen (Put dishes in dishwasher, start it, and wipe counters, and table)

Clean their bathroom (Sweep, Swift, wipe counter/sink, mirror)

Wash and fold their own clothes

13 yr. old son takes out garbage, daughter "babysits" 19 mo. old when needed.

It took some getting used to, but they actually do a very good job at their chores, especially my daughter who takes lots of pride in her work.

38. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 14, 2006

My boys are only 7 and 5. I am stumped. I am rearranging the kitchen so they can help put dishes away. I am putting their dishes on a lower shelf, and they can reach the silverware trays. I am also going to have them put their folded laundry away, as I rearranged their drawers so that they can reach all the items. I also am thinking of assigning them TP duty(check the bathrooms, and put extra rolls in as necessary). Any other thoughts?

39. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 14, 2006

thecottage, you're very smart to train them while they're young. My kids were a little slow jumping on the band wagon but they came around quickly after putting some pressure on them and my husband reinforcing it. They will grow up being a big help to you I bet. My two just finished folding three baskets of laundry. Now, I don't know how I'll do it w/o them. But I do wish I had started them earlier.

40. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 14, 2006

I bought and made many Christmas gifts this summer. I really get stressed and tired during the holiday season. I love the holidays and there just isn't enough hours in the days.

41. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 14, 2006

Iteachtwo, thank you for your compliment. I have no problem teaching my boys to help out. My biggest problem is trying to adapt chores to meet their needs. They are small, so carrying laundry baskets up and down the steps is not going to work. So I decided I will fold, and then put the baskets in their hallway. They can put it away from there. And same goes for the trash. So they will get the upstairs cans, and I will do the rest. I am going to have them change handtowels in the bathrooms, and check supplies. They are very excited about me moving their dishes, in fact they already set the table for lunch, so that was definitely a plus. This thread has gotten really good. Anyone else have any ideas for chores the kids can do?