How do you manage community supplies?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ~Nicole, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

More specifically, how do you manage them on the tables? I'm going to do community supplies in my classroom but I'm drawing a blank as to what to use to hold the items in.

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

depending on how many supplies you'll have on each table, I like a shoebox or a big pencil box :)

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased these cute little baskets with handles on them. I put dry erase markers, sponges(erasers for white boards), red pens, and yellow highlighters in the baskets. I store other stuff like crayons, markers, scissors, rulers etc in the storage closets the students are allowed to use. The only supplies I require the students to bring in are: paper, pencils, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, white copy paper, and highlighers. Everything else I supply. The group leader is responsible for getting and replacing the supply baskets everyday. They are stored in a closet at the end of the day.

5. Thom'n'Sarahmom

Thom'n'Sarahmom Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Just get those see through Plastic "shoeboxes" and depending on how big your groups will be (I'm guessing 4) but in about 2-3 pencils each, 2 erasers for the group, 1-2 pack of crayons/markers, etc...
    I like the shoe boxes, because you can put the lids on them and stack them if they get in your way - and you'll have less spills, should they drop out of somebody's hand..
    Good luck!!

6. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

And be prepared for them to hold everything from rocks to necklaces to chapsticks. I thought tables would curtail the "messy desk" syndrome. Instead we had messy basket syndrome. Some students had destroyed their crayon boxes within the first month so their crayons were loose in the basket. And whoever posted about the lids is right ..... invariably some student would dump their baskets ... and they would be the ones without the crayon box ... and it usually happened more than once. The students finally made a rule that if you dumped your basket twice in the same day you lost it until the next day. It definitely cut back on "spills". Evidently they were attention getters.