How do you make your house smell good?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Feb 19, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

I used to do candles but I think when we move our house is going to be a candle free zone. I might keep one in the bathroom and my tapers in the dining room just for ambiance, but no more lighting a candle for smell. BF is kind of paranoid about them after his apartment burned down (NOT caused by candles, but he still doesn't like them.)

He also isn't really big on the plug in ones, which I like from Bath and Body. He thinks they are too strong and waste electricity.

So, I know there are a ton of other options out there. What do you use and like, and what scents are your favorite? I want my new house to smell great when people walk in.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2010

I find that clean houses smell best. Vacuum regularly, don't let dust accumulate, take out the garbage daily. Crack open the windows whenever you can. If you can, open two windows on opposite sides of the house and put box fans in each one--one facing into the house and one facing out. It'll help circulate the air.

Other than that, I suggest a reed diffuser. They don't use electricity and usually have a nice, mild scent.

miss-m likes this.
  4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 19, 2010

We have a cinnamon pot. Fill a heavy duty pot with water - ours holds about 1 qt. - put in about 2 T cinnamon, bring to a boil, then simmer on low. Set the timer for about 20 min. so you don't burn up your pot. Makes the house smell like apple pie! So if you made fish for dinner and friends are coming over, it totally takes over the fish smell! This is a realtor's trick.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 19, 2010

I like the reed diffusers too, my favorites so far have been from Pier 1. A trash can with a lid and taking things that are really smelly to the outside trash makes a difference as well.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

Watch for the plug in things. My friend's house caught on fire with the Glade ones.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 19, 2010

This is exactly what I do except no reed diffuser or box fans. Nothing like fresh air. I also find hanging my clothes on the line to dry makes for a wonderful smell in the rooms. Also, I do not fry any type of food. Frying food, especially fish, is an odor that will linger for several days.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

I also must have a fresh smelling house with a pleasant scent so in addition to cleaning often and not keeping things inside that need to be outside (letter box droppings, strong odor trash, meat wrappers, etc...) I also use two of those devices that spray a scent into the air at timed intervals. I buy the big ones and set them at 9 minutes so I don't even have to think about them. One is right above the litter box and another is in the bathroom. I've taught my kids to wash the toilet bowel with pine sol daily to remove any unpleasant smells. We don't use the blue stuff in the toilet tank because we have cats who like to play in the toilet bowel. The floors are cleaned daily with the best thing ever invented...the swiffer mop. I use the cleanser for wood floors with febreeze scent. Very Nice!
    Windows are always cracked just a bit to keep air flowing around. I love coming home each day to a beautifully refreshing home.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2010

I'm not into candles at all. I'll spray Oust indoor spray on occasion, which also kills 99.9% of germs in the air. I like air fresheners that will cause no potential harm (fires, messes, spills, etc.).

10. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 19, 2010

I simply keep my house clean. We clean every week and we do not leave crap lying around. In the summer I open windows, but that's not a realistic option in the winter around here.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

I also like the reed diffusers from Pier One. They don't seem to have a "cheap" smell. Probably because they aren't. Cheap. Unless you get them on sale.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2010

Keeping a clean house, which includes washing blankets, curtains and rugs regularly...shower curtains and pillows, anything you can wash, do it on a regular basis. I have a diffuser but am not too crazy about it. I just like a clean smell.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2010

Our house just smells clean. DH and I both have allergies, and scents aren't our friend. We got SOOO many candles as weddign gifts. I had to unwrap them and put them all outside to lose their smell before I could decorate with them. We never burn them.

I do keep a can of Oust in the bathroom and kitchen, but they're rarely used.

14. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Nov 18, 2021

Just bought a new house as well and 90% of the smell in the house was dust. Just vacuuming and using a carpet cleaner with vinegar/water mixture helped A TON. We also plan on having the ducts cleaned out since it's been sitting empty for a couple years.

I had an air purifier in my classroom last year because of my severe sinus issues in the building, and it made a huge difference, so as long as you get a good quality one, they do work. We got a Honeywell purifier with HEPA and carbon filters, I think it was something like $200 at Target.

15. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Nov 18, 2021

When we moved back in April, the carpet in a few rooms just smelled funny. Not like gross funny or moldy funny, but a little off. I took some baking soda and tossed it down and left it for a day, then vacuumed it up. That helped a lot.
    The air purifier came from when they came to fix the wall that had the leak at our old apartment. When the new drywall went up, they didn't tarp off the area, so there was SO much drywall dust everywhere. We got a small purifier and it took a lot of the particles out of the air. I'm still cleaning drywall dust out of the nooks and crannies of the living room furniture a year later.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 26, 2021

I have several air purifiers. I don’t use any artificially scented products due to allergies, but I do use Force of Nature for cleaning and to get rid of any “stinks” in the house.

17. emiliaroyals

emiliaroyals Rookie

Nov 29, 2021

I suggest that you clean the curtains, maybe clean the carpet, scrub down the walls and get into the corners, get rid of food that's been sitting in your cabinet for a few years, scrub down your trash cans, get on your hands and knee's and clean the floor really well. Just over all give your home a really deep clean. Replace all air conditioner filters and replace them on a regular basis. And maybe indulge and buy a new mattress. I remember at one time, I could never get my room clean enough and it would still smell. Once I got a new mattress, it stopped smelling. I also found that having an air cleaner seems to help keep smells down too. Essential oil diffuser by Volant can become your best friend

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021 at 3:38 AM
  18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 1, 2021

Changing the air filters is a good idea. Also cleaning garbage cans on a regular basis. If there is a smell in the house that you can't identify and you know the house is clean it could just be something simple like cleaning the garbage can.