How do you make sure you get the job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Jul 19, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

With this interview I have coming on the 23rd, I want to be sure I walk away with that job. What are your best tips to killing the interview.....include everything, from what you wore, how you prepared, including anything weird and random you did to calm yourself before hand. This is a seven hour drive away and I am going up early.....on the 21st to learn about the communinity before the interview.

I know some of you got hired at your dream districts, and this is mine, help appreciated, no matter how out there the advice is!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

Think about how you are presenting yourself as a total package:

Dress: polished and professional...in my area that means classic lines with pops of color...neutral skirt or slacks or suit with colored shell, cardi...manicured nails neat hair... Portfolio or pad. Good shoes and bag.

Resume, cover, portfolio....your resume and cover got you the interview...something in them was compelling. Expand on these in the interview.

Interview...practice typical questions, but be yourself. They don't want canned responses or jargon or buzzwords...they want to know who you are as an educator. Speak to your experience and education. Highlight your strengths and skills. Show passion.

Good luck..you can do this! Go get it!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

I agree with what czacza said.

Then pray that their former student teacher or long term sub isn't applying for the job, nor anyone's child, niece, 8th cousin thrice removed, etc...

I'm not familiar with the UP's market (I only searched in the LP), but I'm sure you've already discovered it is WHO you know down here :down: It took me quitting a permanent job to become a LTS and finally make the connection to make things happen for me.

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

Have a "Tell me about yourself" response ready to go.

I read Adam Waxler's Interview Tips. I think it was an ebook on this site and I read Job Interviews for Dummies. Both were pretty helpful.
    I practiced those questions.

The best question to ask right off the bat in an interview is "What is your ideal candidate for this position?" That way you can tailor your response to what they are looking for... If they say, "Creative with hands-on lessons" then bring up lessons that you have done that are creative. If they say team player, bring up that you are a team player etc.

Get all email address of the whole panel and send a thank you email a few hours after the interview. Good Luck!!

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2014

Thanks

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I can definitely get this from at least one person, usually the P. I ask for business card after the interview or call the secretary later that day and ask. Most people understand :)

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 19, 2014

I never applied in the UP either. My secret tip is dressing to impress in something comfortable that expresses your personality. What that is will depend on who you are, but for me it's a super snazzy suit that sets me a part. I feel like a million bucks when I wear it and that confidence shows. You'll do great :)

ETA: I'm not sure I would wear a suit in the UP though - I have lots of family up there and the dress codes seem very different in non-teaching positions. But as long as you feel like a million bucks in whatever you wear- that's what counts!

9. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jul 20, 2014

Not to be a downer...I just feel like you can prepare all you want but if a school already knows who they are going to hire (sub, someone they know, etc) you have no chance at all.

Good luck!

10. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Hope they are desperate and your one of few that applied? It seems with many mid-west jobs, 100's apply and one of them has some ties to the school or personal making the decision

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 20, 2014

I say be HONEST. Don't try to give them things they want to hear but speak from your heart. Tell them that you love planning and that if you don't know about something you enjoy learning more about it. Tell them you'll bring chocolate to the team meetings (they always love that and it shows you have a good sense of humor). All you can do is do your best. You never know what may happen!

12. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

I agree with the idea of being honest. If you're asked a question and you don't know the answer, but decide to wing it by using buzzwords you don't understand? It isn't going to look good. If you don't know, just say so. Or if you need clarification before answering, ask for it.

Ask good questions of them at the end. I made such a mistake last year when I would say I didn't have any questions. I thought it showed that we were all aware of the fact that the school could be in the pits of hell and I would still take the job. So how they answered was immaterial. But that is so not the case. Ask good questions that show you have done your homework on the school and the district.

Be polished and put together in your clothes, but wear what you are comfortable wearing. If you usually wear flats and sneakers, wearing heels isn't going to be comfortable for you and it will show. So be put together and professional looking, but be comfortable and be yourself!

Good luck!!!!
    Sheilah

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

This have me a laugh! But it's true....though I do know this one isn't about who you know, they haven't had many with proper credentials apply. I am one of five or six being interviewed. I've already talked with the P on the phone and he said he was really looking forward to my interview.......so I'm going with thinking positive

14. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

I will echo the honesty comment.... On interviews, I have asked for clarification or elaboration for certain questions. Sometimes, the lingo differs from district to district. There are certain names we have in my district for things and I would get asked about those things on interviews but had no idea what they were talking about. I asked for clarification and was able to answer with, "oh, thank you - we call it XYZ in my district" and then answer the question. (Hopefully this is making sense lol)

My suggestions:

1. Dress very professionally. I wear a suit to every interview, even those 10-minute screeners.
    2. Smile a LOT.
    3. Don't be afraid to let some personality shine through. Several principals and HR people I have interviewed with have commented that they love my "energy" - I think this means my personality/sense of humor? That's all I can think of lol but I don't act overly stuffy in interviews. We are teachers so yes, we need to be professional, but we also work with kids and need to have a good rapport with them. Just my opinion but as I said, I get complimented on that a lot!
    4. Make yourself stand out somehow. Brochures seem to work very well for that. I was offered a job on the spot this year because the assistant superintendent who was interviewing me (first interview!) LOVED my brochure (and he also commented that he loved my energy lol). I put a picture of myself on the front and basically summarized my resume, letters of recommendation, and some highlights of my portfolio. It was unique and provided a lot of info in a quick, interesting way. The asst super flat out told me that he was concerned about the lack of experience from just looking at my resume, but that after reading my brochure, he no longer cared about that.

Good luck!

15. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 20, 2014

Tell them exactly how you can help them with the specifics of thier school. be confident and ask them "can i address any hesitations you may have about me?"

16. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 20, 2014

I say wear a suit, blazer and dress pants, heels and collared shirt. this not my style at all, but you want to look and be different then every other person who walks in the doors.

17. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 20, 2014

While I haven't been offered a job yet, I have learned a lot in the process of interviewing:
    1) Dress professionally
    2) Ask everyone their name on the panel and write it down on your pad, then refer to them by name. I write it down in the order they are sitting and keep my pad on my lap.
    3) BE YOURSELF! My last 2 interviews have been my best because I finally let my personality shine through.
    4) Answer honestly. In my first interview, outside of the district where I student taught, I was mentioned Blended Learning because I knew the district was huge on it. They then asked me what Blended Learning was, and I couldn't answer.
    5) Ask questions at the end
    6) Have a brochure and a portfolio and USE IT! Even if they don't ask, show what is in it.

Good luck!

18. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Wldywall,

I job hunted a long time, and at some point during each summer, started feeling as if any given interview was my last possible chance for a job. I do not think that mindset was helpful to me at all. I just want you to remember, that if you do not get this particular job, you are not done, there are more possibilities in your future.

Honestly, from what you've posted, this is an opening you are ideally suited for. You should go into your interview confident and thinking about explaining to them the many ways you will be able to meet their needs. The thinking I want you to avoid, though, is that which the title of this thread demonstrates, that you HAVE to get this job. If you go in there with an air of desperation, you are sunk, because they think you will say anything to try to sell yourself to them. Let your authentic self shine through, and know, even if they don't, that they would be lucky to get you. (Personally, I never worried about clothes much, though perhaps that's why it took me so long to land a job! LOL)

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 21, 2014

I think you should be prepared (you're doing that now) but go in relaxed and just be yourself. I also don't think you should have high expectations of getting a job offer at the interview. Most districts don't do that. High expectations, thinking how much you want this job can get you nervous and that can mess you up, no matter how much you prepared.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2014

I wouldn't call attention to any hesitations they have, even in this manner.:2cents:

21. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

I did things a lot differently this go around with interviews, and I ended up getting a job offer the day of my first interview. I think a lot of things went right, and I had a lot of things they wanted that not a lot of people would have. So, I got to stop interviewing after that!

Some things I did differently this time:
    -I wasn't super dressed up. I wore a nice skirt (not black) and a light sweater with a cami underneath. (This is mostly because the last time I wore super nice clothes was when I was interviewing for my first job five years ago, and now those clothes are a bit too tight. :O )
    -I did not wear heels, I had on some dressy type sandals.
    -I went in knowing I'm a good teacher. Last time I had student teaching experience, and that's it. I've been through the ringer at my school and I feel confident in my abilities. (Maybe not now that school is getting closer...ha.)
    -I told myself if it's not meant to be, it's not. I'm really working on this part, but I believed it that day and I think this is the biggest thing that helped me. I really want a new job, for a number of reasons, but I don't want to move my life for another work situation that I'm already in. If it is a good fit for me, and I'm a good fit for them, it'll happen. And it did.

I'm not sure if that's any help, and I know it's a completely different game when you DON'T already have a job to fall back on, but that's just how I did it this time.

22. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

While I am certainly no expert I have learned some things on my interviews that will help you and myself in future interviews.

These have been addressed on here, but I want to state them again because they are 100% real.

1. Don't give the answer you think they want to hear, give them the answer you would tell your husband/wife/friend.

Reason is the person has likely heard the same couple sentences from the last 10 people he interviewed right out of college for the same position. If you give a real response on how you feel or what you would do. Not some scripted line of what you think they want to hear you will be better off.

2. Dress like you are interviewing with the president, I always show up looking like I just won the lotto. If you feel like a rock star you will give rock star answers.

The biggest thing to me to getting that job is to be yourself and give real answers.

Also don't worry so much about how you are doing, at the end of the day it's just an interview and there will be other jobs.

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for all the help guys.

The reality is I do desperatly want this job, very much so. As much for the relocation as for the job itself.

However I am not at that point of desperation, not yet at least. I asked the question the way I did, a bit tongue in cheek. The reality in the job market I am from im MIchigan is that I am not young enough or pretty enough to get a job. Once you hit fourty in my part of Michigan you are expected to stop applying or to go para, I have a masters, I am not doing a para-pro job for $7 unless I am hungry.

I haven't been able to intervew much in recent years, or even apply. Last year, when I was unable to consider relocation, there was NOT ONE job to apply for within an hour and a half drive (I interviewed for jobs that far out the year before). The situation in my area is beyond stupid, the teacher I student taught under retired this year, reccommended me to take over his job, and I didn't even get an interview. He was the last person over the age of 20 something on staff. My home district every over fourty SPED teacher is now gone, they have been replaced with buxum blondes.

No offense if you are a buxum blonde, more power to you, but as a hiring criteria it is rather stupid. Six jobs couldn't have been best filled with the pretties blonds. My son hates the new SPED teachers (he is SPED), several cannot control thier classrooms and one has a reputation with the boys already.

I cannot compete with that. I am 42, fat, and brunette. I am also intellegent, creative, and a **** fine teacher. I just needed some out of the box suggestions to help me get that across. I am tired of losing the job once they see me. So I could use to lose 30 lbs, does that make me any less of an assest to the school? In image concoius West Michigan it does.

Again thanks for all your help, I have taken into consideration everything you have said.

I am now in the town my interview is in, exploring and learning more about it, hopefully coming early will have a positive influence on the intericew committee.

wldy

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2014

wldy, I completely understand. Probably better than anyone here since our geographic area is nearly the same, as well as our job hunting experience. I know you disappeared for a while, so if you are bored, or feeling down, go read through my interviewing experience from last year. All 30 first round interviews. Over 50 interviews in all. (It is titled Updating....) And I received a terrible inner-city charter school job, which I quit to do a maternity leave.
    I, too, am overweight. My mom asked me several times if that wasn't a factor. I really have to wonder if it didn't come into play a time or two.

Fortunately, I can say that making the right connection can change things tremendously. I am so glad that I took that maternity leave. The P there is a wonderful asset to have! His dad is also a P in my area and his grandpa was a superintendent. He's been a P in 3 districts and coaches in a fourth. Basically, his name is known and he has a stellar reputation. After my LTS, I was offered several more. Even in a district I never subbed in because he recommended me. The job I landed for next school year is at one of his old districts. It is not perfect, but I was offered it in June and I didn't want to gamble it away. (From February-June I taught 90 miles away.)