How do you make labels for books like on Beth Newingham's site?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher_cc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

So I've pretty much figured out how I'm gonna sort my books in the classroom library. Now I want to create labels. I'm debating on whether to keep it simple and just type the genre/theme, laminate on cardstock and place on the bin or figuring out how to create the labels like on Beth Newingham's website.

What have y'all done?

3. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I've typed up the genre name in word and attached it to the front of my bins with tape. No need to laminate them because I used tape that was thick enough to over the paper.

I really like her labels though...especially the ones with the pictures of the authors! What a great idea. I just don't know if I'll have time to do that this year. I have a huge mess to clean up when I get my keys back.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2008

Made my labels in Word, and they look Beth's. I made a text box and then typed in the Lexile Level and had some book clip art.

I want to say that you can print her's out though!

5. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I've just used some of her own labels. I think she has everything pretty well covered, at least for her age group. I don't use all of them.

6. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I keep seeing "Lexile" everywhere on the forums...what does that exactly mean? I'm a new teacher, don't know all the lingo, and if that only pertains to certain states. I'm from MD.

THANKS!

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2008

Lexile is just another way of measuring independent reading levels. Hope this helps! My school uses Reading Counts, which measures independent reading levels with Lexiles.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2008

I made a table on Word and created my own. I did it because I wanted to put a sticker on the card that would match stickers on all the books that are in that genre. For example, I had a lot of stickers with an American flag, so I put it on the historical ficition label, and then put them on all of the historical fiction books. I had yellow smiley faces that I put on all the humor books.

9. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

I usually end up putting one sticker for leveling on the spine and another sticker on the front cover for genre/book basket.

This helps me do a quick glance to see if the student is reading the right book and for books to return to the right basket. I try not to keep more than 20 basket catagories. The simpler I keep it the easier books are returned to the right basket without maintenance by me.

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

Have you used publisher? It is a lot easier to play and you can overlap things a lot easier in publisher? It is also a Microsoft product.

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 23, 2008

I printed Beth's labels and used them. For my Just Right leveled baskets I used Print Master and made pretty labels with the letters.