How do you make Classroom Curtains?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I want curtains for my classroom. How do you make them?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

What is your theme? I sew, so I made curtains that use rods and have a little header. They were super easy and you could probably make them without a sewing machine. Depending on your theme, there are many things you can do.

You could use bandanas where they form triangles and you put little star ornaments at the tip
    You could grass skirts-they come in all colors
    You could use beads
    You could use painted cds, punch holes in them and string them together.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

I modified some directions from online:
    First you will need to measure your windows. Measure width and decide how long you want the curtains to be.
    Fabric generallly comes off the bolt in widths of either 42 inches or 60 inches. If you want your curtains to be around 42 inches wide I suggest you use that size. Decide which width fabric woud be best in terms of cutting -you don't want too much wasted fabric.

If you want your curtains to gather just a bit, you'll want to add extra inches to the width measurment to allow for that. You will also need a couple of inches for going around the curtain rod, so add about 4 inches to the length measurement that you took and . If you want a lot of gathers so they look kind of fluffy and frilly at the top then you want to add more. You might even use the 60 inch fabric. Ask the person cutting your fabric to cut it in lengths that are as long as your window height plus about 4 inches more. That will save some cutting at home for you.

On the top of each piece of fabric you'll be using for your curtains, fold over about 2 inches towards the back. Then sew two lines across that folded over section. The first stitch should be about a half an inch down from the fold line. The second stitch should be a quarter inch up from the edge of the fabric that was folded over. This will leave you with about an inch and a quarter hollow 'channel' between your two stitch lines. Both of the stitch lines go all the way from side to side across the top of the fabric. This is the channel for your curtain rod...

On the bottom edge of each curtain fabric piece, fold up about half an inch and run a single stitch line all the way across from side to side. This will be your bottom hem.

I'm not sure what kind of curtain rods you are considering- they can be tricky to install in cinderblock walls- this is where being really nice to your custodians pays off!! A teacher in my building made curtains last year to cover some storage shelves above her cubbies/coat hooks. She ran a rope through the rod channel and tied the ends of the ropes off to screw eyes...that worked well.

A super easy way to make curtains is to use flat twin sheets...You can run the rod through the 'channel' created by the decorative top hem or sew a quick channel yourself...

5. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I use spring loaded curtain rods that fit nicely in my windows...sew your curtains (hem at top big enough to hold curtain rod) and hem at bottom to disguise rough edges. If you don't sew, you can easily fold over top of curtains and get some fabric glue and then use pinking shears for the bottom hem.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I only have one window - in my door, but I have made a few curtains for it. I just find cute material and use this fabric tape stuff that you iron to melt the seams together. Sorry I don't know what it's called.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

We aren't allowed curtains because of fire code. I would check before you spend the time and money.

8. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks for the quick responses. The length of my classroom consists of built-in book shelves. I was thinking about making curtains for these. Love your ideas, I'll have to give it some thought.

9. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Love the CD-curtains idea! Do you know where to get free cds? I don't get any AOL cds in the mail and was wondering if there's a place that you could get that many from...

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

You can get them at the grocery store or drug stores. AOL always has a display; when I was collecting these, I used to take 3 or four each time I was at a store...;)

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

Oh, that's different than on a window by an exit. I had a parent who made curtains for me so little hands wouldn't want to play with toys during circle time. We put sticky velcro on the top of the shelves and sewed velcro on the top of the curtains. It is still working after 6 years.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

We have teachers in our schools who have used curtains to cover their built-ins. I had valences instead of curtains in my room, but I took them down because I am changing themes and I have decided not to put new ones up.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

You can buy fire retardant spray and spray down any fabric.

14. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

Bed sheets? Table cloth

One year I needed a curtain to cover a shelf that stored a lot of odds and ends. I found an adorable cloth table cloth on clearance that was purple and blue squares. I loved the colors. I used a spring loaded curtain rod and cut a small hole in the sides at the top that would allow me to slide the rod in. You could also use the seam tape (?) to fold over and iron the excess material in place. If you have a large area to cover and you can find a good deal this might be cheaper than material. Maybe even a shower curtain?

15. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I love all the ideas!!! I didn't think about the fire code though. I'll need to check into that. I bet it'll be a no. We'll see!

16. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

You will all laugh at me, but I do not sew...I totally hot glue fabric up for my curtains! I just put a dot of glue then bunch up the fabric a little, put another dot of hot glue and so on. The look perfect and never fall! You can but cute fabric to match your theme.

17. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

i'm also not a sewer, so i used a staple gun and pleated the fabric between staples, then put neon green duck tape along the bottom as a hem. and no one was ever the wiser :)

18. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Wow! Some of you are very creative!! Do any of you have to worry about fire codes?

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

We have always been told we should leave 20% of our walls blank, but some don't. I have had the fire martial in my room w/ a candle burning, curtains, plug ins, rugs, and fabric chairs. He said he thought my room was nice :lol:

20. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 13, 2009

I've covered shelving with fabric using velcro as scmom mentioned above. Our art teacher gets a lot of large fabric pieces donated so I was able to use some of that. If you don't sew (I haven't touched a sewing machine in years!) the no-sew tape works for hemming the edges. Depending on the size you need you could use sheets, shower curtains, tablecloths, beachtowels....
    I've also used decorative plastic wall covering. I found a great beach scene at a party supply store. It comes in rolls. They have lots of themes. You can cover shelves, walls, whatever! I used velcro whan I used it for shelving so I could easily remove it or just take one side down to reach something on the shelf.
    Another thing is to consider letting your class decorate a covering. A mural on fabric or even on large BB paper.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 13, 2009

WARNING: Ladies--before reading this, please keep in mind that I'm a guy who doesn't know how to sew!!! :(

There's a full-length window in my classroom that needs to be covered at all times because it has a direct view of the playground. Kids play around it all the time (during recess, lunch, and PE) and it's a huge distraction to students. Anyway, instead of making curtains, I purchased a shower rod and shower curtain to use as a makeshift window treatment. The shower curtain is super cute and goes with my classroom decor. :eek:

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

That's a great idea, YoungTeacherGuy!