How do you make a child interested in writing?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by educatingme, Feb 14, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 14, 2007

I have a friend who has a child who refuses to learn to write letters. I think it's just not "fun" enough for him. How do you make a child interested in writing even just his name?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2007

Try letting him do it more creatively first. Use art materials. Then when you get ready to transfer that to actual writing, invest in cool paper like paper explosion with the understanding that it is for WRITING first. Then gradually go from there. I'm making this up really. Wait for others responses.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I agree CutNglue

If you take the pressure off of producing.... and let the kids personalize and enjoy the process, they will eventually get there. For the younger kids, make up writing areas with lots of stampers, crayons, anything they can do to decorate their work. It will help.

5. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Feb 14, 2007

What's that? Should I know what that is?

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 14, 2007

It's a little pricey, so you may want to try other options, but it is a kit made by crayola color wonder. It looks like black paper then you use their colorless markers to write with. The end result is a mix os swirling rainbow colors. It's kinda cool! It's about $8 for a kit with 3 markers and 30 pages of paper.

7. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 14, 2007

I agree with the art idea. We teach our special ed. pre-k kiddos prewiting skills using shaving cream, fingerpaint, dry erase boards (they love erasing!) and the chalk board. You can also use playdough to form the letters during a center time, or have the kids write a letter and them have them glue textured stuff on it - i.e draw a capital B and then go over it with buttons.