How do you limit the copies?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I am going to put this simply. :unsure:

:help: I want to limit the copies I make because it'll make life better for me.

Instead of making a reproducible, I'll write the info on a chart or the board for the kids to copy as well as have files for kids practicing different skills. I've been working very hard on that this summer!

Do you have the kids organize notebooks? I am starting more of that this year.

What do you do? Maybe your strategies will improve this area for me. :hugs:

3. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I know. :)

The 10-cent spirals sound like a great idea. The kids are getting one for Morning Work and then they'll supply one for writer's workshop, math, science, and social studies. In reader's workshop, they'll have binders.

Did you know beautiful composition books are .25 right now at Wal-Mart?? $5.00, and I'm good!!!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2007

I know I could never eliminate copies, but I do try to conserve paper whenever I can. One thing I do is print two or more documents on a single sheet of paper so that I can cut the paper in half or quarters. I also print front-to-back whenever possible.

I make about 1/3 the number of copies my colleagues make.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 28, 2007

Yeah, I know. They are 25 cents at office depot too. I need to go get some. I wish walmart wasn't so far.

7. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

We have a strict copy-budget at our school.

I plan to go from a weekly newsletter to a monthly (I've been struggling to come up with stuff each week anyway!). Also, e-mailing these newsletters and other notes whenever possible rather than copying and sending home a hard copy.

I'm trying to make "copy-less" homework calendar. I'll copy the calendar and then the assignments will be written on notebook/loose leaf paper.

Last year, I copied a list of 50 spelling activities for each student. They were able to choose any 3 from the list each week. I only had to replace lists for 2 of my students!

Laminating sheets (or using plastic sheet protectors) that will be used often and using overhead/dry-erase markers then cleaning and reusing them. (For things like word wall bingo, math games, etc.)

Using "The Daily 5" instead of having other groups of students complete worksheets at their tables or filling out worksheets at centers will reduce the # of copies greatly!

The room where my assigned copier is located is absolutely freezing--that is incentive enough for me to stay away from the copier as much as possible!

8. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Many times I was able to cut back on copies by making a large version or overhead of something (like a graphic organizer) and having the kids sketch it on their own paper. In the beginning of the year my 4th graders were very slow at this but eventually they learned to get this done in record time. I also noticed the teacher next door to me reducing some full pages to a half page so she could fit two activities on a sheet. It actually worked very well. I thought at first that the print would be too small, but it wasn't. And besides 4th graders are young...their eyesight is better than ours. ;)

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 28, 2007

I have made the same committment to myself... Here is what I have done so far. I am looking forward to hearing lots more useful ideas!!

My morning work is one the board when they come in. They do it on a large index card, but could just as easily do it in a journal. (I used to have seatwork/worksheet each day.) I like the index cards, because I can just flip through them when we are discussing the answer during the meeting.

I bought white board slates for use in various subjects, and the kids do spelling practice with each other on them. When they work with a partner in math, they can work on the problem on the slate, then write the solution on a half sheet of loose leaf, which I pre-cut. This is usually enough space for the expanation and answer. Plus, they still have both sides, if they need it.

A lot of the forms I used in my class, like reading contracts, editing checklists, and self-evaluations are now on "book marks" which I created in word, using 3 columns in landscape mode. I print them back to back, and for example, on the back of the reading contract, is reading strategies, on the back of the editing check list are the HF words, and on the back of the self-eval are sentence starters. I would totally pass these on, PM me if you want them.

-I laminated some chart paper (which is just as bad for the environment) but I can reuse it a lot. You have to use visa via pens on them, but they wash off with water.

-I also reduce some worksheets to half size, though for the most part, my kids need bigger pages for most things.

-For things we do often, that repeat, I have a chart paper book dedicated to it, for example, reading response prompts. I cycle through these, so I just keep one chart paper book for that use. We reuse the same ones all the time. I would do the same for any other subject that has lots of repeating exercises. Maybe science? I don't know for sure. I only did it for reading response.

**I would not however, stand at the board and write and have them copy into their notebooks, as I think it would be boring for them to wait and you know what happens when kids are bored. I would possibly do this ahead of time for the next subject while they were at recess, or I was on my prep, but not while the kids are there. I can't see this as a good use of time. Sorry.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2007

I put sheets up on my elmo & we complete them together, and I have them answer questions on their own paper.

I am planning on having them do more things on their own paper, which still uses a lot of notebook paper, but will save me in copies.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2007

I think that's my fear normally and why I copy it... the kids are so slow at it at first. But I guess that's better because they eventually have to develop the skills to draw things out, anyway. :)

12. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

I think most of these strategies have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate what I use...

-Laminate items you reuse. Charts, words, paper/cardboard game pieces.

-Individual white boards for quick responses

-Index cards...especially if its small but needs to be recorded for a grade

-Make copies so they are double-sided or mini-booklets (4 pages on 1 sheet)

-Regular routine assignments goes on notebook paper or in composition notebooks, i.e. writing assignments, spelling words, daily drill.

Just remember parents are going to want to see some things come across in paper, i.e. personal tests or quizzes, and if its for a grade you need something that has the work recorded.

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

Everyone has great ideas!
    One thing I have seen another teacher do was use a chart to write her homework...it would all be written at the beginning of the week (with things added when needed) and the kids would copy assignments into notepad every Monday. Then the chart would be cleaned at the end of the week and re-written the following week.
    Also, you could make double sided copies...with work on one side and homework on the other. I found that sometimes this helped my students with their homework, because they had the front to refer to.

14. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

I went to a Technology seminar this past week. In it they demonstrated where their morning/bell work was already done up on a promethean/smart board, and the kids corrected and did their work from there.(no copiesmade, they copied the correct answers in a spiral. For their guided practice group work, same thing. It was put on the Promethean board/ smart board. They are able to scan the images and worksheets directly from the source to the needed lesson, and it has saved them at least 75% in copy cost.
    I can't wait to learn more about these systems, as they really seem to be a big hit all around.
    As far as spelling homework... Look at Carolyn Chapman's differentiated learning books. She's got some great ideas. SHe also has what she calls CUBE activities that are similiar to the following. Make up one work sheet that states 5-20 different ways of working with their words: acrostics/puzzles, writing them rainbow style, using 5 words in a silly story....
    Let the kids keep that one sheet in their notebook all semester, then choose their activity from that list and complete it in their spiral notebook.