How do you like to wake up?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

I like to wake up slow. I typically set my alarm for about an hour and a half to 2 hours before I need to leave. I have a program on my computer that is an alarm. It plays music very softly and gets louder over the course of 15 minutes or so. Sometimes I get up right away, sometimes I hit snooze twice.

Once up, I make an iced coffee and chill at the computer. Sometimes I print thigs I'll need for teaching that week, but usually I just surf....AtoZ, cnn, failblog, youtube....I like to "unfurl" before I shower. Once I shower and dress I'm usually out quickly, but I spend nearly an hour just waking up :)

3. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

I used to be able to get up without setting an alarm, or if I did...I'd set it for 5 minutes before I needed to be up cuz I would just get out of bed like that.

But after meeting my husband...he likes to set the alarm at least an hour before he needs to be up. So I had to get used to waking up, and going back to sleep...I'm a pretty easy person to get up in the morning...so I don't have to do it that way, but that's the only way he can get up, so I compromise.

Once I'm up though, it just depends..but if I'm semi-sure of what to wear I can get ready real quick. If I don't know what to wear...easily add on 20-30 minutes to me being out the door! :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

I can wake up without an alarm. Dh likes to set the alarm for 1/2 hour or so before he has to really get up but then he falls back asleep. I'd rather just get up when I wake up than having to keep turning off the alarm.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2010

I am very rarely asleep when my alarm clock goes off. I wake up naturally, even though I'm not a morning person.

I don't ever get up until my alarm clock goes off, though. I'm not a "dawdler" in the morning either. I'm all business after I get up. I have a routine . . . make bed, put in contacts, put on make-up, fix hair, put on clothes, and I'm out the door. I always have my lunch, breakfast, clothes, and school bag ready to go the night before.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

I get up when the alarm goes off. DH hates it. He would hit snooze until noon if he could. Unfortunately for him, he has morning dog walking duty - haha!

I have a routine in the morning and last time I veered from it, I ended up going to work without any makeup on and without brushing my teeth. It was a strange feeling, thankfully I at least had some mouth wash in my desk!!

Alarm goes off, I get up, shower, dress, makeup, hair, breakfast, clean up quickly (never seems as clean as it does at night!!!) grab lunch and coffee thermos (prepared in advance) and go. I'd really like to have breakfast and coffee first, but that would mean I have to go downstairs and then back up. Plus this way if I dawdle at all I am gaurenteed clean and presentable. I can always eat in the car if I have to, but I can't shower there.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

With or without an alarm, I'm up early.

And once I'm awake, I'm up and out of bed.

I love that first hour when I have the house (and the computer) to myself!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2010

On the weekends it's a little embarrassing. I'm pretty sure I never truly "wake up". :)

During the week, I will often wake almost exactly thirty minutes prior to my alarm's setting, and it annoys me every time...but I most certainly go back to sleep! I set three alarms as a response to weird behaviors in the middle of the night including turning all the alarms off. With two on my cell phone, that seems nearly impossible to do now. Heck, it's confusing when I'm awake! My cell phone alarms are gentle and my regular alarm clock, which rarely has to go off, is set to the radio because the reason I bought the alarm—the soft, increasingly loud alarm—doesn't work.

My 5:45 alarm is just to warn me it's about time. I barely recall it going off each morning.

My 5:55 alarm is when I'm supposed to wake up, but I press the five minute snooze once.

My regular alarm in set for 6:02, but again, I usually turn that off at 6:00.

This year, I will not sleep beyond that. By 6:03 the water is running in the shower. I get out, dry my hair, care for my dog, dress, and then put on makeup. I'm out the door by 7:00. Oh, and I'm trying to eat cereal in the morning...but I hate eating so early.

ALL THIS SAID...Ideally. :D

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 26, 2010

I hate mornings. I set my alarm to allow me just enough time to shower, dress, eat and run out the door.

Some of my best jobs are ones I can take a nap during my lunch break.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2010

I get up an hour and 15 minutes before I have to leave. I used to hit snooze but I can't do that anymore with BF, although occassionally I will hit it once. I used to just chill out on the computer but I think that can make me more comatose in the morning. So this year I am going to attempt to do some things around the house - throw in some laundry, unload the dishwasher, etc. Something to be a little active and get myself going.

11. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

I am horrible at waking up! I set my alarm 30 mins before I have to get up (and by have to get up, I mean the time I need to get up if I want to dawdle, which I always do).

I get up and shower right away. Then, I have my breakfast while checking email, facebook, etc. Then, dressed, hair, make-up and out the door.

From wake up to in my car is usually an hour and a half.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2010

Most places I need to go takes me 30 min to get there. I give myself an hour to get ready...w/o eating breakfast by the way, so in total, I set my alarm an hr & a 1/2 before I have to be someplace. But, all the clocks in my house are about 10 min fast. My alarm either beeps or plays the radio & I NEVER hit the snooze button. I'm out of bed w/i a few min after the alarm goes off & sometimes I'll wake up a few min before the alarm is set to go off, so I'll go ahead & turn it off then so the alarm doesn't go off.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

I don't need to set an alarm (or if I do set one, I'm always up before it goes off), and get up when I wake up--no, "5 more minutes" here.

14. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 27, 2010

Well, being a guy I don’t have to get up an hour and a half early to get ready! I couldn’t imagine wasting precious sleep time to do random things in the morning. There is no way I will get up earlier to watch tv, read, surf the internet, etc… I do however take care of lunch, and if I need to be extra sharp the next day for some reason I will get clothes out ahead of time just in case they need quick ironing the evening before.

I get up when my alarm (wife) goes of at 6:45

I’m ready by 7:15

I’m out the door at 7:30

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

Oh, but for lots of us, they're not "random."

I get up at 5, first because I'm a morning person. (Peter's barely an "afternoon person.") He gets up at about 5:30

He gets into the shower when I get out, as I'm on the computer.

By 6 I'm upstairs doing the "mom" thing... getting snacks together, making sure the appropriate gym clothes/ musical instruments/ whatever is in the appropriate back pack, getting the kids up (HARD with Brian, who is a lot like his dad), brushing the girls' hair, making sure Kira brushes her teeth, drilling whoever has a test or a quiz-- all that stuff that Peter misses because he's out of the house before any of it starts.

Then Brian leaves at 7 (unless, for whatever reason, he needs a ride to school. Then he leaves with me at 7:10 after the sitter arrives. No, it's not on the way; it costs me at least 10 minutes, sometimes closer to 20.)

Before I had kids, I could be showered and out the door in 20 minutes. My own personal needs haven't changed much, but my family's have.

I'm guessing it's the same with a lot of the parents here. :)

16. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 27, 2010

Wow Alliceacc! You’ve ran a marathon before I ever get out of bed! They better pour you 2 cups of coffee. I understand; my wife and I are spoiled now that my very independent 16 yr old daughter likes to get up with her own alarm, drives herself to school, drives herself to dance, and to her part time job a few days per week. I do remember having a little one to help run behind... I miss those days ( I think??) lol

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

It's delightful, and I wouldn't change a thing... most days.

But every once in a while, my kids hear me mutter "In my next life, I want to be the dad!" as I'm shooing Brian into the car or trying to find a lost sneaker.

18. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I hear ya!

Well, on behalf of us dads; we love and appreciate you moms! You know we couldn’t do it without you…

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

Right back atcha!

The dads, at least the ones in my life, pull their own weight. It's just a different assortment of chores than some of the moms.

And hats off to those of you who are doing both jobs.

20. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I set my alarm for 5:45 (pre-pre-wake up) and the alarm on my phone for 6:10 (pre-wake up) and I get my final wake up call from my dad at 6:30 (all he has to do is shout up the steps). My snooze goes off every 9 minutes on each alarm.

From there, I'm out the door and at work by 7:45.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 27, 2010

I don't even eat breakfast at all & the rare times I do surf the net, it's only for a few min at most. I'll have the news on TV while I'm getting ready, but I don't sit & watch it. I have to tend to my dog (feed & bathroom). The thing that takes me the most time in the morning is doing my makeup & putting in contacts. If it weren't for that, I could sleep another 30 min. My hair is pretty much just taken down from being in a bun on top of my head.

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2010

With a glass of OJ and breakfast on the table........
    I don't know How my mom did it?
    [​IMG]
    And she did this till I was out of College!

Maybe I was spoiled? :lol::eek::lol:

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2010

My morning used to be pretty much like Alice's when my 3 kids were younger. It was a marathon because they had to be to school by 7:00. Now my DH pretty much has to pull me out of bed. I get up at 6:00 am and I get dressed in 15 minutes. I have my clothes picked out the night before and DH puts his clothes and my clothes in the dryer with a wet rag to "iron" them and then wakes me up. I yell for my son to get up as I fly out the door at 6:15 and stop at the store down the street for the all important very large diet coke and some fruit to eat at lunch.

24. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2010

I get up at 4:30. Coffee. Computer. Feed cats. Get bike ready for commute (air tires, water, lights & batteries, pump, tools, etc). Wife wakes up. Take her coffee. Get in shower. Put on "bike clothes" - either shorts if it's warm or layers if it's cold. Pack work clothes and attach packed bag to bike. Put on bike shoes, turn off downstairs lights, and hopefully out the door and pedaling down the street by 6:00-6:30

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

The alarm is set for 6:00. I hit snooze for 9 more minutes.

The alarm goes off at 6:09. I hit snooze for 8 more minutes.

The alarm goes off at 6:27. I pry open an eye and look at it. I think about whether I need to get up or can take a few more minutes. I usually hit the snooze again.

The alarm goes off at 6:34. I sit up.

I blink. I stare at the laundry in the corner of the room. I look at the bathroom door. I sigh.

I crawl out of bed, turn the shower on on the way to the toilet, brush my teeth, and hit the shower. (We have well water.)

I lean against the shower wall for about 5 minutes with my eyes closed. Then move and wash.

Get out of the shower dripping wet and wrap a towel around me, slap on the make-up, stumble out to the dryer, grab some clothes, put them on, grab the lunch I packed the night before, slap some moisterizer on, slip on some shoes that are by the garage door, grab my bag that I didn't unpack the night before, and end up in the line at Starbucks.

Suddenly I am at school. I don't know how I got there.

I walk in to the classroom and sit and blink for about 5 minutes, drinking my coffee. Finally, Vanessa, my sweet student who I have trained to go get my things out of my office box and to sign me in, comes in and hands me what was in my box and smiles and says, "Good morning."

I am now awake.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

I have had many wake up regimes

But when I had custody of my son
    My Alarm would go off at 5:30 I go into sons room and give him his Ritalin then I'd go back to bed for :15
    Then shower (after son)
    Gather all my school work
    Stop at Lowes or Home depot if I needed something for class
    get to school at about 6:55
    Since my school was a "breakfast school" we (son and I) would hit the cafeteria, I would get my food and go to my classroom so I would not cramp my son's style
    I then would spent until students arrived setting up for the day while munching on whatever I got at the cafeteria.
    Because I would help the VP do the schedule I always gave myself planning between the first two grade levels and lunch before the last grade level. At lunch I would turn off the lights in my room and enjoy the SILENCE with a small lamp at my desk. sometimes I would find myself reading some educational article nodding off. ​

Before the divorce my wife was in management at the transit company and she would have to be at work AT 5:00 AM
    So I would have to get 2 stepdaughters up, dressed, fed and off to school (3 blocks) and then I would have to get son up dressed and then have him ride on the tank of my motorcycle the one block to Pre-school, He got to eat there. I put my helmet on him . If it was raining I would cut holes in a garbage bag and use it as a rain coat for him (remember I lived in AZ not many rainy days).

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

I get up at 5. I need about 20 minutes to relax and drink a cup of coffee so my brain actually wakes up. Then it's breakfast, makeup, get dressed, feed the cat, wash the dishes, get everything into the car, and out the door by 6:05.