How do you let parents know you are pregnant?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JenL, Aug 27, 2007.

1. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

I am 5 months pregnant and plan on just teaching the first semester then turning my class over to a long term sub second semester. I teach at a very small school and parents have started to ask me if I am pregnant. I am not showing much but they are finding out from other teachers and people that work in the building. It is very hard to keep anything quiet at a small school.
    What is the best way to tell parents that you are pregnant and leaving at winter break? No one has been hired yet but my principal has lots of contacts in the works.
    Thanks

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2007

Jen, first off congrats! Is this your first? Second, I would go ahead and tell all your parents that you're pregnant. If some of them already know, they might start talking to the others, and they may all know before you have a chance to tell them yourself. When you do, I would just tell them that you are leaving at winter break, and that the principal is already working on your replacement. Maybe you could arrange for your replacement to come into the classroom to get comfortable with the kids and meet some of the parents. Are you planning on coming back?

4. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

When I was pregnant last year I told the students in my class that I was expecting a baby. They asked all of the normal questions. (Is it a boy or girl? Will you be here all year? Who will our sub be?). The kids went home and told their parents. If you ask, the principal may be able to send home letter explaining when you will be leaving and that they will be informed when a sub is hired. This is what mine did, but I work in a very large district (10 elementary schools). You need to let the parents know soon, especially if they are already asking. It is an exciting time for you. Enjoy it!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2007

See what your principal wants you do .....do not send any notes home or tell any of your kids until you get the okay from her or him!

6. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Congratulations!!! I am 6 months pregnant. Just guessing but I take it school has already started for you. But what I did is came out and told all my parents as I meet them either during our meet and greet or parent orientation. I know who will be in my room for me so I told my parents that there is a sub in place and that she will be coming in before I leave so that the sub knows the routine and gets to know the children. I assured them that their children will be well taken care of and gave them a way to contact me during my absence.

7. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 27, 2007

Congrats to you! I'm sure it'll be fine whenever you tell them.

I just wanted to add, how rude for those people to ask!

8. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

thanks for your responses....
    cyndi23...like i said before i work at a really small school. word gets out even when you don't want it to. rumors start flying and catch on like a wildfire. that is why i really want to stop those rumors with the truth.
    i've talked to my principal and he does not feel like it is necesary to inform parents yet but i have to disagree. some parents already know and like i said i am not really showing much yet but i can just feel parents looking and wanting to find out. i think my principal is tentative because he does not know who he wants to hire but i think it is ok to just say that they are in the hiring process. don't you?

9. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

kristi anderson...i am planning on returning next year.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2007

I think the parents will be more than understanding. My parents last year had to go through learning I was pregnant to having a sub in the room the last 4 days of school due to complications. They were really great though!!