How do you let it go?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stevesgirl, May 18, 2010.

1. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

May 18, 2010

Hi everyone. I've had a particularly bad parent week, and I just can't seem to move past it. One of my students was angry with me for disciplining her, and went home and told a lie about me to her parents. Her parents then went and called several other families in the school and spread the lie. My principal then met with them and the child admitted the lie, but the parents have refused to call the others and recant. I'm not angry at the child - she's just a kid and made a mistake - but I can't believe I haven't even received an apology note or call from the parents. My reputation has been tarnished, slandered even, I have other parents calling the school upset, and I'm having a hard not being angry with these parents. Everyone tells you not to take things personally, but this is a very personal and emotional job! How do you leave school issues at school, and not let them bug you (and your poor family) at home?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 18, 2010

I'm sorry this happened to you. I find this time of year to be especially trying, for students, parents, and teachers. Everyone is just pretty much sick of each other, and things get blown out of proportion. Just keep telling yourself that the year is almost over, this class will pass, and you can start fresh next year. I know, easier said than done, but remembering that you are not in the wrong will help.

In the future, think about how you could have stopped this situation from getting out of control. I find that the first word is the word parents tend to believe the most. Always call home asap, preferably before the student can get there. Give the parent your side of the story, make sure they know that the student was upset when she left, and this is the plan for tomorrow. Make sure the parent knows that it has been dealt with, proper consequences have been given, and you want to start fresh with the student the next day. Keep calm, and hold your ground. Always make sure your policies and procedures are clear to both parents and students.

As for the other families, there's not much you can do. If you have their trust, they will come around. If they know how you run things in your classroom, the fervor will die down eventually.

And most importantly, keep a running countdown until the last day!

4. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 18, 2010

Great advice.

I would only add that there is little one can do to defend against gossip. My dad always advised that you never defend yourself--your friends don't need to hear it and your enemies won't believe it anyway. In a way, that still holds true. People have become very jaded about authority in their children's lives.

Either you are a fine person that the principal thought worthy of hire or you aren't. Either you are a caring professional or you aren't. (obviously, you are fine and caring--parents should have the discernment to recognize it) If you are in a place of authority and have the good sense to correct an issue for the betterment of the child, you should not have to defend yourself to the parent. You should be receiving a thankful support. Absent that, I concur with the advice, ignore it and look to the future. Sad, but true. Oh, and vent away here!:lol: