How do you leave your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2011

The thread about when teachers are allowed in their schools to work on their rooms got me to thinking. First of all, I'm amazed at how many teachers aren't allowed in their school during the summer! How are your rooms packed up at the end of school?
    I think part of my amazement at teachers only getting 1 or 2 days is that our rooms are basically emptied each year, so we are more or less starting over every year. We have to move everything to the hall before summer and we come back to everything piled in the middle of the room. We have lockers in our rooms and we all have bookshelves on top of the lockers with supplies and resources in them. When your room gets painted, you have to move all of that, too.
    So, how was your room packed up? Were you able to basically get it ready before summer, or did you have to haul it all out, too?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

We aren't allowed into our room until the week before school starts. We pack up everything that is out, but can leave materials in cabinets and our desk (as long as everything closes).

That means we need to recreate our library, organize our desk, bins, books, redo bulletin boards, everything each year and only have about a week to do this.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

I tidy up my room, but everything stays put. They take all the desks out over the summer to clean the carpets, but that's about it.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 22, 2011

We were supposed to move everything in the middle of our room this year (our classroom floors were waxed over Christmas break). I just put student desks, chairs and my rug in the middle of the room. I left everything on my counters after I found out that our custodian had to take her holidays over the break and she will be returning on August 11th. My first day is Aug. 10th, but I'll be going in the 8th to get setup, so I figured I'lll be wiping down countertops before her return.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

This is for sure one huge positive about my school. No packing whatsoever required. The do remove everything to clean the floors and things aren't always put back in the correct place (understandable, of course), so there is some adjustment necessary after that...but otherwise, the room feels very much like "our" room and there is no need to pack up or anything of the like. I can enter the school 24-7.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

We are required to clear our desks and lock away our basic supplies, but other than that, we can keep everything on the walls and such.

It's a huge relief. At my old school, we had to take everything off the walls, lock away every single item (books in our classroom library included) and take every staple out of the bulletin board. We had an AP who would actually run his hands over the bulletin board to make sure it was free of staples. It was exhausting!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2011

All personal items have to be packed away in closets or taken home. Basically if it can walk away and I paid for it, it comes home with me or gets double-locked.

Things have to be off the floor. We can leave stuff on the boards or walls unless they are painting. I've been in my room since 1998, and the only time it was painted, my DH did it.

We are allowed in school whenever, as long as they aren't working in our rooms. The custodians used to get the rooms of the "summer workers" ready first so they could come in and work at their leisure. Those who never darken the door until opening day (day before students come) were saved until the end. Now they do the opposite. For a few years they have intentionally done the opposite just to tick us off . . . whole other issue.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

We have to remove everything from the walls and bulletin boards. The floors must be clear of everything except district furniture. The counters must be clear. We have lots of cabinets, so most stuff fits in those. When I return, I'll have to go through all the cabinets to organize/remove things and arrange the room, but I won't have to unpack lots of boxes. :)

I've been slowly weeding through all my stuff for the past couple of years, so I didn't even have to bring much home this year!

My only concern is that we received the usual memo to take all personal possessions home over the summer, and I have a couple of storage units on wheels that have never been a problem before. Our district became a little nit-picky about things this past year, so I'm a little afraid that those may be gone when I return. Hope not! *fingers crossed*

10. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

You're supposed to clean up before you leave but some teachers don't. My room looks just like it didd when I arrived as a new teacher at the beginning of the year. Nothing on the wall and nothing sitting out. They're turning me into a travelling teacher between school and so someone is taking my room and I'll be sharing a room with another teacher. He left his room a complete mess so we'll see how that goes. He's got a bit of time under his belt so he thinks the rules don't apply to him (but from what I hear the administration is watchin him CLOSELY)

11. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

I'm a first year so everything I have was packed up and shoved into the storage closet by the previous retiring teacher.

I've been going in since the end of June (when I got my keys) and slowly pulling it all out, sifting through it, and putting stuff where I want it to go.

Our school, basically you just get everything off the floor and into the storage closet or if you can't, the janitors put it in the hallway at the first of summer.

I'm lucky that I can go in whenever I want, especially since I am starting from scratch on decorating.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

We have to box everything up and move it to the middle of our classrooms so that they can be painted and worked on during the summer.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

I have built in bookcases so baskets of leveled books on those shelves stay put and shelves get covered in paper. Other baskets, resources, manipulatives get stored in built in closets. Custodians empty the rooms, wax the floors and steam clean carpets. The put furniture back in rooms according to 'maps' teachers draw on boards.

14. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2011

We are given a check list of what we're supposed to do.
    We have to have the desks and counters cleaned off.
    That's about it for cleaning.
    We have to inventory our curriculum and manipulatives. We have to put student pictures in the cumulative files in the office. We have to have the hallway bulletin boards cleaned off.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

This is one of the things that "wowed" me when I joined this site years ago since I have never had to do anything to my room at the end of the year. I can't imagine having to pack up my room every year, take down my pictures/posters, or any of the other things mentioned. On the last day of school, we just leave :) Our carpets are shampooed sometimes, but the cusodial staff moves anything that needs to come out of the room and also puts everything back.

And I do have access to my room all summer. I do go in and clean, weed through stuff and try new room arrangements.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

I know, IN. The idea of climbing up a ladder to take down the posters you worked so hard to get to actually stick to the wall and then climbing back up not even two months later to put them back up...ugh. And that's just one tiny thing I'd have to do. My bulletin boards are rather nice...to take them down would be a huge waste of time, money, and resources. :dizzy:

And why exactly should one have to remove bulletin board decor? I have some that are intended to be more permanent "fixtures", so I'm having a hard time understanding the rationale.

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2011

We have to remove all personal, non-district items from our rooms. Desks have to be cleaned, inside and out, and stacked against the wall. All curriculum materials are to be stored in the "teacher's locker." I have rented a storage unit this year. Otherwise, my house would be full of boxes!

18. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

We have a checklist also. We have to have everything packed up or stashed. Everything off the floor, even stacking desks on top of each other. Shelves that still have stuff have to be wrapped with butcher paper, and all the furniture has to be labeled with our room number.

This was my first year so I'm not sure how much access we normally have in our district. The school is getting a new security system, so we all had to turn in our keys. We go back Aug. 16, and classes resume Aug. 23. New teachers start a week before so I am gonna try to get into my room then.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

This is what I am thinking too :dizzy: Why do ya'll have to pack up your rooms? What is the purpose?

20. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

For us, it is because the custodians, do some "spring cleaning." They wax and paint and do any maintenance repairs that we ask to be done.

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

We move all the furniture to one side of the room so the carpets can be cleaned. Anything on shelves or countertops goes in my closet. I don't know what shocks me more from reading some of these replies: the fact that some of y'all can't get in your room all summer, or the fact that some of y'all get your room painted! :eek: We've always painted our own rooms.

Beth

22. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

Beth-I offered to paint my own room because they paint it a blinding white. I requested a tranquil color, like blue, cause the white gave me migraines. Hopefully, I'll go back to a caming room, but I'm not holding my breath. I never got the ok to paint either, so not sure if I could have.

23. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

Bleh, white? I, too, would be offering to paint. We've never had to ask if we can paint, so I guess that makes doing it ourselves worth it, lol. Hope you go back to what you had in mind!

Beth

24. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jul 22, 2011

We have to pack to, for cleaning, etc. I don't mind, because it forces me to go through everything every year, and i like to redo my room every year anyway. I wish they'd paint. They've been promising for 3 years, lets see.

25. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

But what kind of cleaning do they do that requires you to pack your room? My room gets throughly cleaned, carpets shampooed, spot painted when necessary and all this gets done without me packing up my room :dizzy:

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2011

We pack up the stuff on our floors so they can strip the floors and wax them again. (They pulled up the carpet and put in linoleum.) The rest came down because of the painting. Normally all that stuff would stay. They painted this room when I first came to the school (3 years ago). They do a really good job of not letting rooms go over 3 or 4 years without painting. That was unheard of at my old school. I painted it myself. (I did get paid back for some of the paint.) At both schools, though, I had to pack up everything (old school had hardwood floors), but had access anytime I wanted (except the 2 or 3 days it was closed for them to do the halls.)
    It does make me sort through and clean out more "treasures". So, that's good.

27. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

I think some schools make you entirely pack up everything in case they move you to another room or you leave unexpectedly. They don't want a new teacher in the room having to sort through all of your stuff.

28. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

Ooohhh, that makes sense band. Again, something I don't think about since I have been in my room for 16 years and starting year 17 in the same room :)

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2011

The custodians strip and re-wax(?) the floors each summer. Of course, they don't move my teacher locker, the computer table, or my teacher desk, so that when I go back, they are all stuck to the floor! The only painting that has been done in my classroom was done by me, and that was lockers, shelves, and trim. The rest is a horrible putty-off-white with blue dots left over from the previous teacher's posters (way up high).

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

Everything comes out of our rooms so that floors can be stripped and waxed. Our file cabinets need to be half empty, teacher desk empty (they both get tipped up to be taken out of the room) and all belongings on shelves, in cupboards or boxed up.

31. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

Our walls are just pure white and we are not allowed to paint them or put up any sort of contact paper/wallpaper/wall border that might possibly ruin the paint.

In my school we don't have to empty personal belongings or take down decorations UNLESS they ask because they don't paint the walls every year so most of the time we can just leave it all up. We do have to put everything that is on the floor, that's not a desk or table, into the closet or shelves.

32. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 22, 2011

We don't have to pack up, but we do have to get stuff off the floor so the custodians can wax. We've learned the hard way to put our names on all our important/personal furniture items b/c when left in the hallway, they are quickly claimed by others!

33. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

We have to get everything off of the floor because they clean the floors. They literally empty the entire room and put everything back. They draw their own map on the board.

We are supposed to take down everything on the walls, but I left the fabric on my bulletin board up because I'm going to use it again anyway.

34. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2011

We have to clear all movable furniture, We end up stacking all our stuff on the permanent cabinets and shelves. It is challenging to unpack the room because I do not focus on organizing at the end of the year since they start cleaning the beginning of the following week. We can get back in about two weeks before the children are back.

35. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

Due to different circumstances, I've ALWAYS had to pack up all personal belongings and bring them home with me. Every summer my garage is packed with boxes. I'm hoping (fingers crossed, please, please, please) that next summer will be the one where my stuff gets to STAY at school!

Also: Some of you are allowed to paint? That's AWESOME.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2011

The room must be bare of anything aside from the 42 desks, an empty teacher's desk, and the computer/ projector equipment. Everything I chose not to bring home is in the big cabinet in the back.

Of course, had I realized I wasn't getting a homeroom next year, I would have brought a whole lot more home!

I'm going in for new teacher orientation at the end of August; I'll get my keys and start bringing stuff home then.

37. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

I left it a complete disaster.

Everything was packed in boxes with a label up against two walls. During post planning, workers had started pulling things off the wall, so on the second day of postplanning I walked in and my huge front white board was pulled off and leaning up against some tables. It was a bit hard to manuver around, so I tried to push it up so it was leaning up against the wall and it slid out and crashed onto the floor. Too heavy to lift back up.

Sometimes I'd find screwdrivers or weird pipes laying around. Wires were dangling from the ceiling. Sometimes ceiling tiles would be missing and I'm staring up at the roof of the building wondering if anything was going to come visiting.

Two days before the end of school, the computers all disapeared. There was one in the Media Center and three in the office. Good thing I had backed everything up onto a flashdrive already. Tech had come in a tad early and removed them.

I usually help out the custodian with a final sweep of the floor, but this year? I just turned off the lights and walked out.

(They are renovating everything this year.)

38. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

Our rooms have moved each year. We are a newer school though, so I'm hoping they leave us in the same rooms after this school year. We have to take everything off the wall, and put all of our furniture in the middle of the room. We were allowed to keep our personal items in our rooms (packed in the middle) until we found out our new room number. We are responsible for moving everything to our new rooms.

39. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 24, 2011

Empty our desks - they are tilted to remove from the room. I leave all my books and other items on the built-in bookshelf and cover it with the paper I take off the boards. Clean all student desks, all personal items home or in cabinet, all items off the floor and up on counter. Certain technology items are returned to the media center and logged/stored/cleaned (sure). I cover my computer w/ plastic bags, put my school pad, speakers, document camera, etc. in original boxes. We are supposed to clear all our bulletin boards, but I didn't do that this year. Probably asked so that if anything gets damaged we can't complain or so that the boards are clear for the next teacher should we decide not to return or are moved to a different room. Floor is stripped and waxed each year (poorly most of the time), room was painted 2 years ago - first time in 14 years that the school was painted! They put the furniture back according (sort of) to a map we put on the board. I have a lot of straightening up to do so I'd be upset if I couldn't get into the building during the summer. Our contract requires three days in the summer. We are back a week before the kiddos, but there are tons of meetings so I prefer to get all done before that week. We have open house the second night of our week back, so I need the extra time to set things up!

40. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 25, 2011

Quickly. :D

41. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 25, 2011

My school also doesn't ask us to remove wall decorations unless they plan to paint. Every year I put all my movable supplies (pencil sharpener, file holders, etc) away and lock them up. I also make sure to clean out the drawers I use the most, to get rid of or put away things that really don't need to be there. I like to start my year with empty drawers in my demonstration table. There is too much going on at the beginning of the school year to do basic organizing considering 75% of our "teacher" days are spent in meetings.

That said, I am allowed to keep my room keys so I can go in during the summer. I will go in mid August to hang new decorations, get everything out again, and prepare electronic homework for my freshman class. If I luck out the workbook I want to use is on a resource disc.