How do you leave your contract and start in a new district?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachingInGa, Dec 17, 2018.

1. TeachingInGa

TeachingInGa Rookie

Dec 17, 2018

As our district approaches the end of Fall Semester, all I can think about is how much I'm already dreading returning in the Spring. The past few months have been some of the hardest I have ever faced and I am completely worn out. I am tired, I am sad, and I feel like I am about to give up on teaching altogether.
    I know everyone says it's better to hold on and that Spring Semester always flies by, but a week in this school can feel like a miserable eternity.
    I know all schools have their problems, but it feels like the order in my school is breaking down by the minute. Students are disrespectful to each other and to teachers; fights are common, as are anonymous death and shooting threats on social media. I have personally witnessed a student threaten a teacher in the hallway. It's not uncommon to see kids wandering the hallways because they are either skipping or have been kicked out of class with nowhere to go. It is not surprising to walk by classrooms and see kids standing in desks or running full speed around the room. Administrators rarely do anything to help with these issues and mostly just leave teachers to their own (and few) devices. Teachers are so worn out they are constantly absent, with limited subs to cover because nobody wants to come here. I myself have missed days because the stress of coming to work has made me physically sick.
    I am always frustrated because I want to teach but I'm in an environment that makes real teaching impossible. I am always overwhelmed because I know I have to get over 100 students to pass standardized tests in the spring, but over half of those students didn't pass their tests last year. I am always sad because I feel like I am failing myself and my students and I have no idea what to do. I am always tired because it takes nearly all of my energy just to get out of bed in the morning and drive to a place I know I will be faced with a multitude of unsolvable problems.
    I don't even enjoy my weekends anymore because I know I have just two short days before I have to be back at work.
    Now I am thinking ahead to winter break, and I already know I won't enjoy the time off as much as I should because I'll be counting down the days and hours until I have to return to a place that has such a negative impact on me.
    I don't want to give up, but I don't want to wake up and dread going to work anymore. I have been looking at other districts for awhile, and several are hiring mid-year. I am tempted to try to leave my contract and apply to these schools, but there are several concerns I have about this.
    First, I do not want my certification put in jeapordy and I know that can happen when you break with a contract. Second, I am weary of schools that are hiring in the middle of the year because it is possible they are filling a position made vacant by a teacher who was fed up with that school's problems. Finally, I am worried I won't get hired somewhere else and future employers will see my broken contract with this district as a red flag.
    I have talked to everyone in my family about all of this, including other teachers, and the majority of responses are to leave. As much as I want to leave, I am still feeling a lot of concerns and guilt on the matter. I need advice desperately so please, if anyone on here has ever faced a similar problem, what did you do?! Is there a way to leave a district mid year without leaving teaching? Please help!!!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2018

If you have looked through the archives at this site, you have probably noticed that the majority of posters will tell you to make your health the most important thing. If that means quitting and subbing until you find something else, so be it.
    Please check with your state or your contract and see what the requirements for you about breaking your contract. Every place is different...some places ask for just a 2 week notice, other places will hold your license.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Dec 17, 2018

I broke a contract. They were understanding , and did not go after my license. I put in a month notice. I was going to try and start teaching elsewhere 2nd semester, but there are limited teaching postings at this time in my area.

5. TeachingInGa

TeachingInGa Rookie

Dec 18, 2018

I'm sorry the jobs are slim, but I'm happy you were able to leave peacefully! Do you have any advice on how to face the guilt of leaving? I feel so bad for wanting to leave these kids but I feel like I'm letting myself down by staying.

6. pommom

pommom Comrade

Dec 18, 2018

Well, I did feel bad for leaving my kids; I was so attached. However, the kids will be fine. People entering and leaving our lives is just part of life. I did not feel bad for administration. I am not going to get into it, but they did me wrong. I would have stayed if my license would have been suspended, but I was given absolute certainty that I can leave without repercussions.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 21, 2018

I was in an absolutely miserable school once and really wanted to leave mid-year. I stuck it out for the reasons you stated: I figured other mid-year openings would be open for similar reasons and be just as bad, and I was afraid of not being able to get another job after leaving a school mid-year. Personally, I also think every aspect of subbing seems absolutely awful, so that wasn't a good option for me. I moved across the country right out of college to get a FT job rather than having to sub. Then you also have to consider the money aspect- are you able to live on a sub salary? Do you have a spouse with other income or significant savings?

How's the job market in your area? Unless there's a big teacher shortage, I have to assume it would be quite difficult to get another school to take a chance on you if you left a teaching job mid-year. Everyone advises not to say anything negative in an interview, so how you really explain the situation? Or even get to the interview stage when they see you left your previous job?

Personally I'm glad I stuck it out. I learned a lot that year and it definitely taught me to appreciate the good things and not sweat the small stuff at my current school. I also was able to keep my resume in tact and get into a much better school district, which I've been in for 6 years now with no problems.

One thing that I did that really helped was resign (effective end of the year) very early. I believe I turned in my resignation in early February. That helped me see "the light at the end of the tunnel." Since my P knew I was leaving, she decided not to bother with me anymore and never set foot into my room again, while she continued to harass my teammates on a weekly basis. I shut my door and taught however I wanted to. What were they going to do, fire me? I'd already quit! I put all of my energy into perfecting my cover letter/resume, getting letters of rec, filling out applications, attending job fairs, etc. It was helpful to actively work towards bettering my situation.

Now if your mental health is truly suffering so much that your safety is a concern, then yes I would agree that you should resign. If that's truly the case, I would see if you can a Dr. to say that you need to resign for health reasons. That should at least protect your license.

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2018

I just left a job and started a new one. Of course in Michigan, there is no risk to my licence, so that made things easier. I gave two weeks notice at the online charter I was teaching for before leaving for the new job.

I can tell you it really depends on the job (location etc) if find a new job first is the best way to go. I can tell you for me, I wouldn't have left the last job if it wasn't for getting the new one. I have to have a guaranteed income.

I have taught in schools with problems very similar to yours. It sucks. I had to put myself into the mind set that I would teach the students that wanted to learn and try to ignore the trouble makers. It was the only way to keep my sanity, (because I would not leave without another job lined up), but I kinda hated myself for it. I felt if I just gave a bit more, tried a bit more those kids would be interested in my lessons enough to stay and learn. But that is not how it works. Take care of you. If you have to go, and you don't need the income. then go.

9. alp123

alp123 Companion

Mar 5, 2019

10. alp123

alp123 Companion

Mar 5, 2019

Following.......how did you go about looking for a new job while employed? Were you able to get a letter of recommendation from your P? I'm miserable at my new district. There is no discipline at all. Subs refuse to come to my school. I want to leave but I don't know how to go about leaving. I need a job to go to. I don't want to say anything to my P. She's part of the problem. I got a very good evaluation....I just can't work under these conditions.....any suggestions?