How do you know when it's time to change schools?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tek, May 6, 2015.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 6, 2015

And is it too late? I haven't signed my contract yet, but I figure to receive it very soon. I feel like it would be in bad taste if I were to tell my boss now "Sorry, I actually got hired by another school."

Then again, I've been thinking of exploring my options, and have started looking for a teaching position elsewhere. It's exciting and scary all at once. I enjoy my school, but I feel I've hit a comfort zone of sorts and the pay is extremely low.

Whatever happens though, I need to make a decision soon.

Anyone got any thoughts or nuggets of wisdom to offer? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is going through this, or has gone through it. If you have personal experience of a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you!

When do you know it's time to change schools, and is it too late at this point in the ball game to tell your boss you won't be coming back due to a job offer elsewhere?

3. Johann seez

Johann seez New Member

May 6, 2015

When you are not comfortable with it I guess? That's totally personal, but you should always go where you find yourself more comfortable. If there is no school that makes you feel that way, maybe there are a few things you should try to fix about yourself (I don't mean to sound rude).

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 6, 2015

Since you haven't signed a contract for next year, it's not too late. Everybody has their own reasons for needing/ wanting a change. Every school will have its pros and cons.

5. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 6, 2015

I haven't signed my contract and I've received a letter of intent from my new job this week. I will be signing it at the end of the week and letting my principal know on Friday. He knows I've been looking (I commute 45 miles one way and new job is 5).

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 6, 2015

I had a principal once mention that it's a good idea to switch up schools/grades every so often and he was suspicious of those who stayed in one spot for years on end. While one shouldn't be running around every year, sometimes one will feel that wind of change in the air. I wouldn't be apologetic about it.

7. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 6, 2015

If you haven't signed a contract, yet, then go where YOU need to go.

8. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 6, 2015

If you haven't signed your contract, it's not too late.

It sounds like you're not fully dissatisfied with your job, but you want a change and better pay. I think that's reason enough to look elsewhere. You only live once, and you don't need to spend your entire life doing the same routine. Especially for low pay.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a short list of reasons to leave! ;)

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 6, 2015

I have only one question, I guess. Are you so ready to change jobs that you will refuse to sign the contract to free yourself up to look for a new job? Sometimes contracts are tricky - if you don't declare that you are not signing, or in essence, resigning at the end of the current school year, some contracts are considered legally binding without your signature. You may want to research this for your current district, either through HR or the union rep. Just a thought.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2015

Suspicious? Wow. Professional educators stay in one school or grade because it's where they fit....changing schools every few years would have a teacher going through the tenure process time and time again, restarting on a new salary guide...potentially losing out on tens of thousands of dollars over a career...:dizzy: I can't imagine doing that unless I was REALLY not happy where I was.(I've changed jobs a few times due to moves or looking for a better fit)... I'm in a great district with a really good pay scale, great PD opportunities, community support, the resources we need...yeah, pretty NO ONE leaves voluntarily unless they are retiring.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 6, 2015

Is it too late? No, not at all. Most hiring is still yet to happen in most districts. Both times I left a school and got hired by another school, it was June.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 6, 2015

I would also suggest that if you look for another job, don't tell the P. You can do that when you get hired.

I agree with czacza to stay put, unless you are not happy where you are at.