How do you know what to teach?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by frodolass, Jun 9, 2006.

1. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 9, 2006

I'm interviewing for an English position. This question is for the high school English teachers (and others if applicable). How do you know what to teach? Does the school give you a list of what you need to cover or a list of materials/curricula you are to use? Is one expected to produce a curriculum from scratch? I did look over the Sunshine State Standards and they seem to be a good starting point. I really feel I'm not up to the task and am not qualified for this position :(

3. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Does your state have CSOs? (Content Standards & Objectives)
    I think all states have a required list of material you have to teach.
    Hope I helped.
    Hannah

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2006

-You should get a copy of the syllabus from your dept chairman/AP. He or she will know exactly what's to be covered and will let you know.

-See if one of the veterans will lend you last year's plan book. It will be an incredible resource!

-See if you can get a copy of old tests/quizzes/exams. They'll give you a good idea of the focus.

-Teachers editions of textbooks are also helpful.

Seriously, don't worry. Get the job first, the rest will fall into place!! You CAN do this!!

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2006

Don't worry!. I bet many new hires feel overwhelmed. I know that most schools have a curriculum/syllabus with topics to be covered. State standards need to be incorporated so you should be aware of what they are. More likely than not, at least on the elementary level, there will be meetings for new teachers to provide you with some support, etc. Get to know your collegaues and share ideas.

Good Luck

6. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 9, 2006

Thanks guys! I will really depend on our state standards to give me a rough idea of what to cover. I'm going to keep reading. I really want to be placed in a 5th - 7th grade position, I feel much more comfortable there.

7. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jun 9, 2006

In addition to the state objectives and standardized test requirements, your local system should also have/provide a curriculum guide that should include an outline of topics/content/information required for the course(s). In addition, they may also include a suggested timeline for implementation of each one. Sometimes that is good....but when you take into account the need for differentiation, learning styles, and varied learning levels of students, it doesn't always line up with reality!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 9, 2006

Frodolass, go with your gut instincts, but remember that probably nobody is really completely ready for any new job. That said, you don't have to take the first job offered to you if you have true doubts and not just butterflies.

9. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 9, 2006

Music Doc - Having an outline would be very helpful. I'm going to try to talk to another teacher at the high school for pointers. I understand what you mean about meeting the needs of all students. Can be very tough.

Upsadaisy - I need to remember that I don't have to take the first job I'm offered! LOL, it didn't occur to me :) I got a line on a 4/5 mixed grade opening at a charter school I LOVE, so I'm following up on that. I'd have so much more freedom at this school, my son went there when he was in elementary.

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 9, 2006

I hope that works out for you!

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 10, 2006

You'll have at least a list of objectives from your state. I taught in a school without a true scope and sequence (timeline). It is easy enough to make your own. Just get out a calendar and plot out the objectives. There is more to it to it than that but you will probably have one. If you don't, feel free to ask me for more advice. Someone else said to focus on getting the job and the rest will fall into place. :)

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2006

paperheart- I am not as confident as you. If I were to walk into a new teaching job, as a brand new teacher and was not given at least a syllabus... I would be very worried. We are working for a school- that's the least they should be required to provide us with. Of course, I feel trained to teach the subject matter... but I would be wary of no type of outline.

13. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

Jun 10, 2006

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to talk with a current teacher to see what to expect. It's scary :)

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2006

We're required by law to cover the program of studies for our grade/subject. Next we're required to cover the topics listed in our state core content for assessment. We also threw in national standards as well. We developed a curriculum map as a department, and then tweaked it as grade level teams, and then tweaked on our own as well.

It does help to talk to the other teachers. If you were coming into our school, you'd pretty much be set . . . just need to choose your own materials to use to cover what needed to be taught.