How do you know it's time to quit?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bonneb, Aug 5, 2010.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

I have about 4 weeks till school is starting, about 40 hours of in classroom work to do, physical work, and I am just not feelin' it.

I don't want to do it!

I have had physical issues and emotional stresses the past 2 years, loss of stamina and patience and creativity and enjoyment of the children. I look at lesson plans from 5 years ago, and I was setting the world on fire in that classroom, having a blast, and doing lots of extra fun stuff with the kids.Last year was totally bare bones and I got off track in some areas that are important to me, left some things unfinished which are the reason I teach -- what is up?

If any of you have gone through this, or if you have any insight, I would love to hear it. I have always thought that when a teacher loses her love of teaching and enjoyment of children, it is time to go. But I am in a position that I have to keep working for the time being. Thanks everyone.

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

After 16 years of teaching middle and high school math this is very much the way that I felt.

I feel the way that you do that this not a job to be doing if your heart is not in it. It will eat away at you.

I changed gears... went from teaching middle/high school math to teaching in a self-contained classroom for students with multiple complex needs (k-12 aged). It was the most challenging thing I have ever done in my life and with the challenge came a renewed passion for teaching.

I don't think change needs to be this drastic but I do believe change is important (well, for me anyway).

Hope the spark comes back for you :).

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

Thanks. Part of it is not knowing exactly what will be happening this year. I do need a new challenge, so maybe I will have to look for something outside of school to get me excited again.

5. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

How long have you been teaching?

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

I taught jr. high for 5 yrs, quit to get married and raise a family, and when kids were in jr high I started teaching 1st grade- 10 years in 1st.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

Wow - 10 years is a long time in one grade. My attention span would never be able to do it. Good on you for lasting that long. I stayed 6 years in my first job (mostly middle school) and 8 in my second (mostly highschool and 8 was about 2 years too long) and now heading in to my 5th year where I'm at now.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

Good food for thought. I was hoping for a combined class this year, laid lots of ground work for that last year, but doesn't look like that will be happening. At my school positions rarely change. But you have given me something to think about for the future. Thanks!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

Bonne, switch to a higher grade! I taught kinder for a couple of years and already started to get that "bored" feeling. I LOVE teaching kinder, but I need that change, that new challenge and moving up to fifth was exactly what I needed! I had a wonderful year. Now, I am teaching 3-6 math.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

Today I found out my class is going to be super small. Maybe that will be good-I will be able to conserve some energy for special projects.

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Hmmmm... super small is good. How small? You should be able to some fun and creative things with a super small class :)

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 6, 2010

Hugs Bonneb.

I've had years like that, they pass. Perhaps changing grades would be something you can do next year, put in for it early though.

I ordered some teacher books this summer and they've helped to spark my spirit. I'm finishing Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire by Rafe Esquith, I've finished The Morning Meeting Book, and getting ready to start Teaching with Love and Logic and Becoming Human Through Art.

This is year 22 for me. I told a young teacher this afternoon that if I didn't find something new to help spark my teaching I'd become stale and stagnant. I'm ony working four more years and I want them to be my best.

Hugs again.

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

I agree, sometimes a change in scenery, such as a grade change, will help. Redoing some of your curriculum or how you teach it might also help. I find I dread getting ready for school every year, even though I love teaching, but as the time gets closer, I get more excited about it. I just dread the first week, as I know it will be crazy.