How do you know if this is what you want to do forever?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by lovebeingteach, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Feb 20, 2012

I have days where I can't imagine ever doing anything else. Then I also have days when I see the kids coming off of the bus and I want to run home. How did you decide this was the job that you wanted to do forever? I am still so confused about the feelings I have. Perhaps it is just the never ending aspect of the job that drains me. This is my 6th year teaching special education in a self-contained setting.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

It's like love... you reach a point where you can't imagine anything tearing you apart. You know there will be rough days and rough weeks and maybe even rough years.

But you also know that the love and the committment is stronger than the rough times.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2012

My good and great days vastly outnumber the not so good ones. I'm thankful everyday to be where I am. I wish everyone could feel that way about their work.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 20, 2012

Do you feel this way all year? Or just certain times of the year?

For me, I know that in February I'm not operating at my best, (at work, at home, life in general) but I know that I love my job the rest of the year, even those first 6 weeks when I am exhausted. You take the good and the bad.

6. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Feb 22, 2012

Hi

I felt that way today. My kids got off the bus and I couldn't get them back on the bus fast enough at the end of the day. I also felt like maybe I should turn in my resignation. Then, yesterday was a great day and I wanted to stay for next year. I change from day to day. I am in my 4th year of special education and I keep questioning myself.

thanks