How do you keep your students accountable?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ali, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 26, 2007

I am looking for suggestions for a problem I have faced year after year. I teach 2 sections of 5th grade Language Arts. I feel like I am drowing in things to check every day. I don't want to check everything I assign, but I feel like they will blow it off if I am not checking it! What do you do with all of the classwork/homework that you assign???

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 26, 2007

I have heard of teachers who have student checkers. This seems to work in the upper grades but you would really have to teach this to a responsible student. I would also check quickly if you can. What about a parent volunteer? OR Could you use separate bins for assignments and quickly look through them at various times throughout the day to make sure that students are completing assignments?

I always ask for morning work but sometimes forget about the rest of the day's assignments until later. It is hard to keep up with all of them. I guess it's my own fault...I'm the one assigning everything. :D :p

4. Ali

Ali Companion

Mar 26, 2007

I know what you mean Teachingmom, I assign all this stuff! It all has value I just don't think that I need to be checking every little thing!! The problem with student or parent checkers is that a lot of these assignments are so subjective and those that aren't are usually tests and I cannot have students or parents check those because of FERPA. I wish I could instill intrinsic motivation. What ever happened to kids doing things the best they can because they know they should?? Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and thanks, in advance, for any on their way!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 26, 2007

I find myself overwhelmed with this too. If it's that won't be marked, I tell them it's practice work for a future test and if they blow it off, it will show in their test mark. I just keep telling them that things will catch up with them if they don't take their work seriously. I will check things at random sometimes, so the students never know when to expect me to check--this I find works well.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Mar 26, 2007

I saw this on an NEA site, and it seems like it would work well depending on assignment type. When the kids pull out their homework, walk around the room and stamp any assignments where it's clear the students made a clear effort. Go over it in class to give necessary feedback. The students are responsible for keeping all their assignments till the next test, and they turn them in, stapled together, as a packet on test day. They can study from the homework for the test, and you can take a score (either on particular ideas on the assignments, or as a total number of stamped assignments) at that point.

I teach five sections of 30 kids each (middle school science), and I've found that the best way is to give a completion grade as part of the points for an assignment, then really read and grade a few of the main parts of the assignment.

Or, if it's something you're having the students write, have them highlight ideas you're looking for (transitions, thesis sentence, three supporting facts, etc) with different color highlighters. They're self-checking (and seeing what they missed) and it helps spot their main ideas for you.

Hope these help!!

7. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Mar 26, 2007

When I'm in a rush I use the "honesty policy". Basically I ask "Who didn't do their homework". I mark down who ever raised their hands but I also do 4-7 random checks on people. If they don't have their homework and lied then they have 1 weeks detention with me during their lunch period and receive a letter/call home. This seems to work because God forbid students miss lunch w/ their friends. Otherwise I normally just go up and down the aisles quickly glancing at the h.w. Sometime I have them hand it in and I have students from the National (Junior) Honor Society come and check it (that way they can earn their hours for school service).

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2007

When I taught 5th grade, a co teacher with over 20 years experience told me a trick. Get a bunch of copies of your class list. Label one for each assignment. When the students turn their work in, they have to highlight their name. It's easy to see at a glance who has finished and who hasn't. Then clip them together or staple them together and you can even write the date on it. Once they're together and highlighted, the kids can't say, "I turned it in, you must have lost it."

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 26, 2007

snicky... that sounds like what my honors geometry teacher used in 9th grade. We'd go over the homework problems every day in class, and were responsible for correcting our mistakes on it... but we didn't turn them in until test day. I think it was more of a completeness check on test day... she'd go through the packet and make sure we had everything, not actually check every assignment (I'm sure she had random spot-check ones).

Then pretty much what she was GRADING was tests/quizzes, not the day-to-day practice.

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 26, 2007

I'm not sure how the student checkers do it but what I meant was just to check and make sure that everyone has it done. If it isn't done, you can find out quickly who's is missing. Personally, I like to check the kids' work to make sure they understand it.