How do you keep track of class and homework assignments?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by carrieSAtoUSA, Aug 7, 2010.

1. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I was wondering whether anyone had a method for collecting classwork and homework, and keeping track of it. I had a homework basket and classwork basket last year, and by the time some students finished their class assignments, they were all mixed up and I often missed students that hadn't handed in work! I definitely need help with classroom management as it is not my strong point :help:, so I would love some advice in this area.

Do you have a checklist to make sure that students have handed in all assignments?

Thanks

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

I have 2 3-drawer containers to hold to my students papers. Each drawer is labeled by subject areas (Spelling, Reading, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Other). The children put their homework in those drawers. I collect them after morning announcements and check to see who handed their homework in.

I use a class list that I created in Word that I use for everything: classwork, homework, grades, permission slips, etc.)

Also, each student is assigned a number. The students need to have their number on their paper so that I can quickly put them in order and call out the missing numbers. It works well when they remember to put their number on papers. It is just a quick check to see what work they have completed before I actually correct them.

Hope this helps.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

I'm not sure where I got the idea to do this but it has worked for me. Each student has a number in my class. It is used for everything.

I use a small whiteboard that is about 1 x 1 feet and I write the name of the assignment and their number next to it in a grid. As students turn in an assignment they erase their number. I can quickly see how many are still working and who hasn't turned something in. If I have it collected by a helper, it is their job to update the board.

5. carrieSAtoUSA

carrieSAtoUSA Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

I like the whiteboard idea!

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

I do something similar, only on paper. Each student has a number, so on the paper I have six or seven small graphs of numbers. Each graph represents a subject or assignment. The students put their papers into stacked trays, one for each subject area. I take the papers for each subject and cross off their number. I circle in red the numbers that are not crossed out, so I can see whose papers are missing. If someone is absent, I put a box around that number.

Each "graph" is just a table separated into two rows and as many columns as I need to make a number chart, of sorts, which a box for each number. I put a blank line above each graph to write the subject and the assignment on. Does that make sense? :)

It really has worked well for me. I also use each sheet to jot down numbers of students who have had behavior problems during the day. I have a place at the top for the day and date, and I keep all sheets for a 9 weeks period paper clipped together. It is great to quickly keep on top of things for each day, and I have a running record of late work for each student that I can use to inform....and even show....of patterns of problematic behaviors.

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I have tried everything. I finally just take it up. If it's homework the students know to have it out and ready to be picked up before class starts. If it is work we do in class then I tell them it's their "ticket" out the door. That way i know immediately who doesn't have theirs. It also helps because I can quickly see if they don't have their names on it. This has been the best thing for me. I honestly no longer have the problem with kids not putting their names on papers or not turning in work.

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I tried all of the above, and none of it worked for me. So now I do "check-in." I honestly thought it was stupid and time-consuming, and "baby-ish" for my 4/5 graders, when my teammates told me they do it, but it really takes about 10 minutes-tops. I put on the board each morning what needs to be checked in. Even if there is no homework, they still need to check-in their assignment books. I sit at my reading table and as students come in, they check-in with me. I make a list of the assignments and put a check mark in the box when the student turns the items in. It also forces me to write in their assignment books if something is not completed. Before, I had trouble remembering to do this. I do a weekly report each week and I use the checklist to tell parents what was not turned in for the week.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2010

That was my biggest challenge last year. Here is what I did: I went around and checked off hw in the morning. That way I could keep track of the kids who did not do it. I also marked off in-class work, which most of it I put towards participation points. It would have to be correct before I would accept it (one or two things could be wrong, but I would have students go a redo what they missed). So, projects and exams would obviously be what I used rubrics for, but HW went to HW points, and classwork to participation, and the rest to projects/test. It worked for me last year.

10. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 8, 2010

I must admit I feel like I change my method every year and still I havent found one that works for me. However, if you have the space in your classroom I would put up a folder for each student and easily you can see who is mising theres, after school or during your prep time you can go through and make sure its complete and not just a piece of paper.

I wanted to do that this year, but I didnt have the space, I might try putting the folder on their desk? It might work.

I normally assing a teacher helper to go through pick them up and tell me who is missing, it takes him/her about 5 minutes to do it for all my classes.

I have also tried the inbox, one per subject, but that doesnt work for me, because the next morning the papers are still sitting there and well I havent graded them. So the following morning I have to find a new place to put my stuff.

One year I did color folders for example, red is for monday, yellow tuesday, etc. This helped me pick up all the folders and all their homework was in there for each subject. The problem there was that I didnt always have the folder ready to hand back in time (I am bad at grading.) Also, they might have their English homework and be missing their Social studies homework and I wont know...then later they are sneaky and tell me "oops I must've forgotten..."

Last year I asked for a homework notebook. All the homework had to be in there, no matter what subject. If it was a worksheet they had to keep it organized in there and cut around it. This did work, but it was picking up the notebooks and grading them.

This year, (I hope this finally works) I am going to use Interactive Notebooks, and I will pick them up every 3 weeks, but glance at them in class. This helps me also with cheating, since I have a huge problem that in our cafeteria all the kids are there copying, *sighs*.

Hope some ideas work...

11. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 8, 2010

Ooh, this is a good one.

Last year my method for classwork was kind of a mess. Obviously while the kids were working I was walking around and taking mental (and sometimes written) notes about who was done and who wasn't. The problem is that most of our work is in a big practice workbook that lasts for half the school year at least, so after that first glance I never really saw it again. If they were working on dittos I collected them, but then they just sort of gathered dust.

Last year, homework was a page a night -- the kids would bring it in the next day, turn it in, and while they were working on something else I (or another student, later in the year) would go through and check off that it was turned in. I didn't really look at it or grade it... again, dust collectors.

:dizzy:

This year I'm revamping my system totally. I will have one basket for complete classwork and one for incomplete. When most of the class is ready to move on to the next lesson, they'll turn their work in to one basket or the other. Students will have to finish that work during their spare time, or they'll be stuck doing it during recess, Friday movie time... or over the weekend.

Homework will be in packets, going home Monday and coming back Friday. Packets will be in folders containing the homework and classwork from the previous week as well as some quick notes regarding behavior or any other issues (i.e. unfinished classwork). Parents will review the papers, sign off, and students will return their folders the following Monday. I'm really going to have to push for the kids being consistent about their folders... maybe extra recess time if the whole class brings them in on Monday? Students who turn their homework and signed folders back for the month get a homework pass.

I'll also be using the number system. I haven't done it in a couple years, but it really makes things so much easier.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

I use homework packets. I put the packets together on Mondays and the students have to turn it in on Friday. The packets contain reading, writing, and math. I give a check plus if the student completed the whole packet. I give a check if it is more than half completed. I give a - if it is less than half done. I check the homework over the weekend. I review anything that needs to be revisited on Mondays.

Homework is worth 10% of their grade. If they always complete their homework, then they get the full 10%.

I used to use daily homework. I was so disorganized. I procrastinated with grading and returning the work. The parents like the packets better too.

I put a sticker next to who completes their homework. They pick something from the prize box when they complete 5 homework assignments.