How do you keep organized?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by txteach2b, Aug 19, 2010.

1. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

A little bit of background information....I have been working as a para since 2006. The first three years, I had a "home base"...a desk and computer of my own. Last year, they took away my desk because they had a shortage of teacher desks. I was upset about it at first, but it ended up working out OK.

I go into different classrooms all day (usually we go to 7), and last year, I carried a 2-inch binder hold all my papers instead of carrying around several folders. That worked out great, because I could keep track of weekly agendas for each class, notes from faculty meetings, papers & activities for the whole 6 weeks, had spare notebook paper for note taking, and a pencil pouch. I ended up getting a pencil box towards the middle of the second semester, and loved having that to keep my pens (I'm a pen freak), hole punch, and notecards (I'm a notecard freak, too). The only drawback to all this was the binder was big & heavy (I cleaned it out after each MP).

I'm trying to improve on what I did last year. I'm debating on whether or not to carry some kind of tote. I liked having all the things I needed in the binder, but I think I need to downsize. Maybe, with a tote, I can use separate folders for each class & use a smaller binder for the agendas.

For those paras who have to go to different classes, how do you stay organized? Share your tips!

3. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I am not a para, but I've had to organize for college! :) If you are carrying around folders, I suggest you go to Target now, because they have this really cute looking tote that opens to reveal a hanging folder rack. I didn't have a use for it, but I figured that it would be infinitely useful for someone.
    -Ali

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 13, 2010

I have a teacher's plan book I carry around and i carry around one file folder in a tote. I write down all the assignments from my classes in the teacher plan book.

5. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

Instead of downsizing, I ended up expanding!! :) I now carry a 1 1/2 in. binder. Reflecting, I believe the one I carried last year was 3 in. I also have a separate folder for each class. I have all this in a large tote bag. I have 2 calendars in the binder (one for sub reminders & the other for the agendas in each class....works out great!), and the binder set-up is pretty much the same as last year. I like having the folders because I have a place for everything, now. I love the tote because it's easier to carry my pencil box and everything. It's going great!